How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #36
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 19,560
lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

The 4.2 is a 3.8 block with a separate crank. I don't see the rod length being the same between a 3.8 and 4.2 crank...but honestly I'm not 100% sure.

I believe we're about to start on a split port 4.2 for the wife's 94 here in the next few weeks...so I'm sure I'll be going to this thread alot in the next few months.
__________________

__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 34
3.8boii is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

k i have just bought a 4.2 and my question is will i use the front acesories from my stang like the pulleys and stuff
__________________

__________________
3.8boii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:00 AM   #38
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
bucnknasty is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

Okay so I did find out the difference is in fact in the pistons. If you do a 4.2 crank swap you must use 4.2 pistons. But Now I have also ran into a few other problems as well. I have the block bored 30 over and cant seem to find any 30 over head gaskets. Do i need to use 30 over head gaskets and if so where can i find them? Also I am running a comp 200/208 cam with .480 lift. Will I need to swap out the stock springs for heavier ones?
__________________
bucnknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #39
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
stephenmartin is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

hey guys, im buying a 94 thungerbird for 150 bucks, it has the 3.8 in it, with the AOD tranny. im thinking on using it as a donor for my 97 stang, with a 95 3.8L harness, what i was thinking was using the 4.2L engine from my 97 f150 and dropping that in my mustang, and using the AOD tranny from the thunderbird. i dont plan on modifying the 4.2 in any way at all. i plan on cutting my hood up if i have to. my only question is.. should i just stick with the 3.8 from the tbird, and go back to what my original setup was, or go with the 4.2L? im scared of the 4.2 being junk and letting me down. just like my mustang 3.8 did to me (threw a rod and cooked the heads) plus the mustang AOD cracked the tailshaft and is missing 1st gear. whats your guys' opinion. i miss my baby!
__________________
stephenmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
6ixer is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

I read all of it but im confused
My dad has a 99 f150.
I have a cammed 3.8 and, the engine.kinda needs a.repair.
I was told to take the 4.2 strip it down.to the bare block id get it honed
Id take my 00, cly heads swap em over so id have the ac compressor and alternator in the org spot as the stang
can i use the f150 oil pan or my 00car pan
Will it bolt up to my 5 spd noproblem?
Plus hooking all the sensors back up....and the computer what about the.mustang top end...as in the mustand.upee intake and lower intake? No problem
__________________
6ixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixer View Post
I read all of it but im confused
My dad has a 99 f150.
I have a cammed 3.8 and, the engine.kinda needs a.repair.
I was told to take the 4.2 strip it down.to the bare block id get it honed
Id take my 00, cly heads swap em over so id have the ac compressor and alternator in the org spot as the stang
can i use the f150 oil pan or my 00car pan
Will it bolt up to my 5 spd noproblem?
Plus hooking all the sensors back up....and the computer what about the.mustang top end...as in the mustand.upee intake and lower intake? No problem
how many miles is on the 4.2 in his truck?
if you don't have anything done to your heads just swap your intakes and cam you can just reuse the heads from the truck (if it has lower miles than your car don't even pull the heads if you know it runs good saves you that cost)

it has literally the same block as yours the trans will fit just fine

this is on the first page btw...

- 4.2 shortblock or longblock
- You can use the 4.2 heads
- Mustang upper and lower intake and fuel rail
- Mustang 3.8 water pump
- Auto trans = 4.2 or 01-up flexplate
- 5spd = 01-up or rebalanced 3.8 (0 or neutral) flywheel and a pilot bearing
- V6 Mustang bellhousing
- Re-use your stock cam position sensor
- 01-up 3.8 oil pan
- 01-up 3.8 oil pick-up tube and screen
- 4.2 damper or 01-up 3.8 damper (use the 01 pulley for blower cars)
- Re-use the stock 3.8 oil pressure sender and tube
- Re-use the Mustang headers
- You can use the 4.2 or 3.8 dipstick. Just keep track of where 5 qts puts the mark when refilling with oil.
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,215
xhgwx is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert

how many miles is on the 4.2 in his truck?
if you don't have anything done to your heads just swap your intakes and cam you can just reuse the heads from the truck (if it has lower miles than your car don't even pull the heads if you know it runs good saves you that cost)

it has literally the same block as yours the trans will fit just fine

this is on the first page btw...

- 4.2 shortblock or longblock
- You can use the 4.2 heads
- Mustang upper and lower intake and fuel rail
- Mustang 3.8 water pump
- Auto trans = 4.2 or 01-up flexplate
- 5spd = 01-up or rebalanced 3.8 (0 or neutral) flywheel and a pilot bearing
- V6 Mustang bellhousing
- Re-use your stock cam position sensor
- 01-up 3.8 oil pan
- 01-up 3.8 oil pick-up tube and screen
- 4.2 damper or 01-up 3.8 damper (use the 01 pulley for blower cars)
- Re-use the stock 3.8 oil pressure sender and tube
- Re-use the Mustang headers
- You can use the 4.2 or 3.8 dipstick. Just keep track of where 5 qts puts the mark when refilling with oil.
So the tranny will bolt up?
__________________
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx View Post
So the tranny will bolt up?

yes it bolts up just fine to any RWD application 3.8/4.2 block
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #44
VPG
Registered User
Newbie
 
VPG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
VPG is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

Hello, I am new on here and not familiar with all the lingo yet, so if you could help me out..I have a 2003 V6 Mustang Coupe Base model with 64k and some change on her. My situation is two part: It has a light tapping noise when I go to 1800+rpm. I was told that the wrist pin is loose. Also told it could be carbon build up. The tapping only happens after ten minutes of driving, and sometimes difficult to detect. The garage said they could remove the oil pan for 500clams, I said I couldn't afford it so they used some tool to listen to it. My first car tech told me wrist pin also. Today, I put in a tank of midgrade from shell. I had been getting Conoco low end gas. Do you think this is what is causing the tapping? Or? Also I am considering replacing my 3.8 with a 4.2. After reading this, the re-man parts seem to be a good choice..? Is it possible to do this with my model stang? Yesterday I went to a dealership to see if I could just trade the car and they said my car had been wrecked and that there was frame damage and they cannot sell it. I was sold the car years ago, with a clean Carfax, so I am trying to figure out what to do on that. So, I must keep her. That is just fine, I love my car, and I want to keep her going. Any convo on this is great, I really appreciate it! ~V~
__________________
VPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
SN95V600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 155
SN95V600 is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

dam they ****ed u thats bs man how is it clean carfax yet it has frame damage for all u know they are bs u becuz they dnt wana trade u and give u something else dnt listen to them man tell them they better or there will b problems dnt let them play u man

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

it tends to sound like a piston slap or push rod but better off getting another engine it could just be spark knock
__________________
SN95V600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Re: How to: 4.2L V6 Mustang Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPG View Post
Hello, I am new on here and not familiar with all the lingo yet, so if you could help me out..I have a 2003 V6 Mustang Coupe Base model with 64k and some change on her. My situation is two part: It has a light tapping noise when I go to 1800+rpm. I was told that the wrist pin is loose. Also told it could be carbon build up. The tapping only happens after ten minutes of driving, and sometimes difficult to detect. The garage said they could remove the oil pan for 500clams, I said I couldn't afford it so they used some tool to listen to it. My first car tech told me wrist pin also. Today, I put in a tank of midgrade from shell. I had been getting Conoco low end gas. Do you think this is what is causing the tapping? Or? Also I am considering replacing my 3.8 with a 4.2. After reading this, the re-man parts seem to be a good choice..? Is it possible to do this with my model stang? Yesterday I went to a dealership to see if I could just trade the car and they said my car had been wrecked and that there was frame damage and they cannot sell it. I was sold the car years ago, with a clean Carfax, so I am trying to figure out what to do on that. So, I must keep her. That is just fine, I love my car, and I want to keep her going. Any convo on this is great, I really appreciate it! ~V~
easy way to tell if it's carbon build up throw premium fuel in it (or even midgrade sometimes if it's minimal buildup) if the sound doesn't go away try a higher grade if it still doesn't it's a mechanical issue

as far as the 4.2 swap yes you have the correct year range car to basically just swap over your stuff for it, find the lowest miles motor you can

as to the dealership problem ask them to show you the proof of the wreck.. or check carfax yourself sounds extremely messed up
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #47
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
this is what i was looking for
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #48
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
i want to drop a 4.2 in my stang cuz i have over heat the 3.8 2 times now an well i blow a manifold this week so i got headers an i am going to install them but when i tuke a sparkplug out alot of water came out so i now that that engine is trash so i want to drop a 4.2 on it i now i have to change the upper an lower intake from my 3.8 an it sude dropp right in to place so will every thing else be the same its an automatic will the ac an the rest pdd the pulles be the same ?

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

can any one help me out an just give me a opinion

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

love my car but want more power an well i have heard of people dropping a 4.2 on there stang befor as well so i want to do the same as well i got alot off good info from all you guys stuff you have posted an what i have read here

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

i got some stuff i have done to it like doul muffeles 10.2 mm spark plug wires coil pack cold air trottle body spacer an now headers so i want to move to alot more power so i want to drop a 4.2 in it now an well i have a posi read end on it that i installed as well so it really dose go well that was befor i over heat it do still runs but i have to look at the temp all the time an put water cuz it dose not last long on there so plz some one help
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
you just have to swap over the parts listed on the first page according to the year of your car whether you buy or swap them, as to the assec on the front of the motor if you can, swap yours over since you know they work, as far as i know they should be the same aside from the water pump which has a fan on it in the trucks just have to do a little investigating if something doesn't look the same between them

this would also be a good time to look into a windstar intake swap for a little more oomph to it
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
oh (0o) cool i get it i am still not going to do it any time soon i will do it in like the begining of next year or so. i am also going to install a 3 row radiator all aluminum whit duel fans an also need a trans cooler on it an well i will beef up my trans as well whit a shift kit an toque converder to really make it go fast. so if i get a windstar intake what is the diffrence on it do ?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

wow bro men you really made that bad boy fast men god that is sweet

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

were did you get your heads for your v6 stang men i have been looking an never found anything like that or a cam for that meter the only one that has one is oreilly auto parts an
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpkjoe
oh (0o) cool i get it i am still not going to do it any time soon i will do it in like the begining of next year or so. i am also going to install a 3 row radiator all aluminum whit duel fans an also need a trans cooler on it an well i will beef up my trans as well whit a shift kit an toque converder to really make it go fast. so if i get a windstar intake what is the diffrence on it do ?

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

wow bro men you really made that bad boy fast men god that is sweet

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

were did you get your heads for your v6 stang men i have been looking an never found anything like that or a cam for that meter the only one that has one is oreilly auto parts an
You'll need a little bit of tuning or a stall otherwise the car will slip/not act right under accel, been there lol

The Windstar has longer long runners and shorter short runners, meaning it will increase greatly throughout the rpm range and a little more in the too rpms, I have a dyno chart ill upload later

And thank you, the current ones are SuperSixMotorsports, but the new better ones going on are from www.kylepersonperfromance.webs.com

He can sell you basically anything you need motor wise for our sixers, he does very good work and makes some nasty cams
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #52
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
oh yeah cool bro love the info men god i love it going to make that babe fast now

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

oh an were can i get a stall converder for the stang
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #53
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
is there a special brand i sude get
an the web page that you posted for the cam an mod stuff dose not work

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

an do you now were i can get parts to rebilt my trans whit really good performance parts like good cluches an stuff
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpkjoe View Post
oh yeah cool bro love the info men god i love it going to make that babe fast now

oh an were can i get a stall converder for the stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpkjoe View Post
is there a special brand i sude get
an the web page that you posted for the cam an mod stuff dose not work

an do you now were i can get parts to rebilt my trans whit really good performance parts like good cluches an stuff
sorry i typed the link instead of C&P, got it mixed up here this works
Home - Kyle Person Performance

as for the converter, i have this one in my car
AODE 4R70W Stage 3 Torque Converter

call around local transmission shops and see who can do what you need, but is it acting up? i still have my factory 140K automatic in mine without any problems
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #55
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
cool bro no my trans its good right now but if i am going to drop a 4.2 on it an need a torque converter to really make it fly well i might just rebild it to take it cuz my stang has 189xxx miles on it aqn well i dog the snot out of it all the time even whit the bad head i dog it hell i still smoke rsx acuras an civics an sentras all day long you now what i mean i been trying to make the engine blow for the longest now. At this point i dont really now it's still running its a tuff engine i tell you. i had imports that i destroy the engine on cuz they suk an this babe is been running like this for about over a year now an still drives fast but i have really bad gas miles on it do.
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #56
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
oh an by any chance i can see a pic off the windstar intake you installed in your mustang cuz there are alot off them out there an well i wood like to see how it looks in the mustang an how it all goes together whit the trottle body an everything else that goes whit it like the fuel rail did you still use the mustang one ?
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #57
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8
superpkjoe is unknown around these parts
ok bro i think i now ]which intake you was talking about i am going to go get one http://kylepersonperformance.webs.com/winnie_engine.jpg
__________________
superpkjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
SN95V600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 155
SN95V600 is unknown around these parts
So this 4.2....can i use the ssm lumpy cam in it?
__________________
SN95V600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN95V600 View Post
So this 4.2....can i use the ssm lumpy cam in it?
Of course
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #60
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
ChaosKnuxxx is unknown around these parts
I'm gonna have to be "that guy" but what years of 4.2s are we looking for? I'd just search for the engine but they're horribly overpriced, like $600+. Screw that noise. I'l find someone parting out an F-150 and buy the engine.

I know you can probably do a 97, but how far up does it go? also I'd prefer a long block engine so how would I be able to tell? is it just based off the truck's year or what?
__________________
ChaosKnuxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 109
plstktnkr2 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to plstktnkr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKnuxxx View Post
I'm gonna have to be "that guy" but what years of 4.2s are we looking for? I'd just search for the engine but they're horribly overpriced, like $600+. Screw that noise. I'l find someone parting out an F-150 and buy the engine.

I know you can probably do a 97, but how far up does it go? also I'd prefer a long block engine so how would I be able to tell? is it just based off the truck's year or what?
1997 up to 2001 should work just fine.
Rick
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGP
1983 4 eyed GLX Convertible
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1985 Lincoln Town Car Hearse
Local "10-hole Mafia" Don
member of the "Anti-Cowl" club
plstktnkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
They stopped making them around 2008 I think, my buddy used an 07 f150 4.2
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #63
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
ChaosKnuxxx is unknown around these parts
Thanks for the info, though what about the long blocks? I thought all of them were but I guess there's 4.2 short blocks too? Which are which?
__________________
ChaosKnuxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKnuxxx View Post
Thanks for the info, though what about the long blocks? I thought all of them were but I guess there's 4.2 short blocks too? Which are which?
Short block is just the block and rotating assembly, the long block comes with heads (some consider intakes as part of it) but usually just heads on it makes a long block
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #65
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
ChaosKnuxxx is unknown around these parts
Ok thanks! SO I can save money and get a shortblock, get a forged rod & piston set From SSM and a stage 3 kit.
__________________
ChaosKnuxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ghostedmind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 918
Ghostedmind is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Skype™ to Ghostedmind
So, according to this
Ford F150 Engine Specifications 4.6L 5.4L 4.2L
the '98 4.2 engint would be the best to find?

on Wiki (not real reliable i know) it says
4.2 L Essex V6 1997–2003 217 hp (162 kW) 262 lb·ft (355 N·m)

anyone have somewhere with proven numbers?
__________________
Redfire '04 V6 - K&N CAI, Divorced duals, Bama Tune, EGR Delete, Gauge cluster LED overhaul.

LCMC Member
Ghostedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 109
plstktnkr2 is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to plstktnkr2
horse power is mostly dependant on cam choice, but if your looking for "drop in" HP that would be a way to go
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGP
1983 4 eyed GLX Convertible
1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
1985 Lincoln Town Car Hearse
Local "10-hole Mafia" Don
member of the "Anti-Cowl" club
plstktnkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #68
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
ChaosKnuxxx is unknown around these parts
Those ratings look underrated too IMO. I know most rebuilds say "250 HP!!!" But when you hit the dyno, I'll bet those are the numbers you'll get.
__________________
ChaosKnuxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
davidcseifert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,666
davidcseifert is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKnuxxx View Post
Those ratings look underrated too IMO. I know most rebuilds say "250 HP!!!" But when you hit the dyno, I'll bet those are the numbers you'll get.
When you hit a dyno it'll be 150-160hp..
__________________

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
davidcseifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #70
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 12
ChaosKnuxxx is unknown around these parts
so those are crank numbers?
__________________

__________________
ChaosKnuxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
v6 mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What mods can get 350+hp? Johnstonb93 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 82 11-01-2014 04:04 PM
3.8l to 4.6l engine swap important steps zrider07 General Mustang Discussion 2 08-04-2011 09:07 PM
2000 3.8 » 4.6 swap mustang newb sethhawk1 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 14 07-28-2011 10:41 PM
Engine swap, here we go Mustanglife General Mustang Discussion 65 07-05-2011 08:07 PM
4.2L engine from a 98 3.8L bmabbott Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 11 07-01-2011 09:09 PM

» Like Us On Facebook


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


05:22 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.