Header Install help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh
Header Install help

I realize this is lengthy, but the number of problems I've had in this install is numerous...

Recently I bought a set of MAC headers for my 97 6'er. Heres the description the dealer gave me.....

MAC Shorty Headers 94-04

Direct replacement 1 5/8 unequal length shorty headers are specially made for your year V6 Mustang! They come with all attaching hardware and are an easy install. WILL NOT FIT 1998 V6 MUSTANGS!!!

Says they are Direct replacement but unequal length headers. Does this mean that they wont fit to my y pipe? I have a "fake" or direct fit MAC dual exhaust. No matter to me if they don't, I plan on replacing this system with a True Dual system this winter.

Im almost completely done removing the stock headers from my car but I'm caught up on the passenger side header. I believe its the EGR tube coming out of the header thats giving me the problem. I know its size 1 1/16" wrench but I have nothing that allows me to get an angle on the bolt. Does anyone have any prior experience with this install?

I have the drivers side header almost on except for one problem...IT DOESN'T FIT!!! No joke, but just because I had nothing to do last night since I wasnt moving any further on other header I went to just see how the drivers side header would fit. I only installed 2 bolts so I could remove it for now but it looks like the bottom of the part that comes from head doesnt sit right agasint the head. Also the stock gaskets dont line up!! It's a shame too because theyre in great condition and I don't want to spend more money than I have to on this install.

Am I insytalling correctly, or is this really a wrong product? LOL
Kiljosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 06:44 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion
The headers will fit your car with no problem, even to you stock y-pipe. But when i installed mine with my engine out of the car, it took about 2 hours to install them. I had a little trouble with installing them myself as you can see by how long it took to install them. Personally, I wouldn't bother installing them because you won't see a gain from them with your engine setup. You stock headers fit and are more than adaquate. If you decided to go with headers, you should go with some MAC longtubes instead.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 07:20 AM   #3

Header Help

I recently installed LT headers on my 97 stang and i had the same problem with the EGR Pipe.. had to take it off the engine completely and heat it enough that it would bend without crimping and then reinstall it once it was cold.... it was a PITA but it worked...
Steedastang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I realize I will see minimum gains from installing them, but I do plan on upping to a full exhaust this winter and possibly going blown. I'm having a shop beef up the internals for me while I'm going to take care of the easier(or so I thought) stuff. After I upgrade to a full MAC exhaust, with a highflow Catted X Pipe, what kind of gains do you think I will get? ALso, will it sound alright?? Right now with the "fake" dualies my car sounds a bit rice past 4000. I want to see if the xpipe will possibly give me a bassier tone.

By the way, what the hell is this!!!?!?!? :banana2:
Old 10-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh
I realize I will see minimum gains from installing them, but I do plan on upping to a full exhaust this winter and possibly going blown. I'm having a shop body beef up the internals for me while I'm going to take care of the easier(or so I thought) stuff. After I upgrade to a full MAC exhaust, with a highflow Catted X Pipe, what kind of gains do you think I will get? ALso, will it sound alright?? Right now with the "fake" dualies my car sounds a bit rice past 4000. I want to see if the xpipe will possibly give me a bassier tone.
Yes you will see very minimal gains from the exhaust even if you had a blown car with duals before. The dual exhaust is what is going to give you your power, not so much the headers. It's hard to determine yourgains" from dual exhaust because all you're really doing is freeing up restrictions. And also, what other mods do you have, that makes a big difference too.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #6

"GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT"

Thats the term I use... you can open up the exhaust all you want but if you do nothing to the Induction then it is all for nothing.... Sorta Like porting the lower intake but not the upper..
Old 10-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #7

BTW, with LT headers, O/R H-pipe and Borla XR-1 Race Mufflers my stang sounds brilliant at all RPM's.. Not really like a GT which is not what i was going for but it sounds like a very throaty big block v6...
Old 10-17-2004, 12:58 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Well today I went down to home depot and got a smaller adjustable wrench, worked fine to get egr tube off. Took some patience but I finally got it. After that headers were on in no time but I couldn't get the Y Pipe on myself. Also the egr tube doesn't seem to wanna line up correctly with the new headers. And I'm not sure but the y pipe's fit looks like itll be a little funky too. Anywho, hopefully I'll finish up on Monday.

It's 2 am and I am so tired right now.

My other mods are MAC CAI, port and polished uper and lower intake, SCT Chip, and UD Pulleys. I'm saving up for a set of ported heads and a cam from supersix, maybe the 3.8 PowerPak. Dunno yet...
Old 10-17-2004, 01:01 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

O forgot to mention T-Loc and 3.73's.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:13 AM   #10

I had the same problem with my O/R H-pipe.. the mechanic had to cut off one side of the H and remount it about 2 inches up so it would line up with the other part of the H... It looked like a PITA but he got it to fit and it looked great... it seems like when MAC machined all these parts they didnt think that maybe they were all supposed to fit together because they dont... 2:
Old 10-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedastang97
I had the same problem with my O/R H-pipe.. the mechanic had to cut off one side of the H and remount it about 2 inches up so it would line up with the other part of the H... It looked like a PITA but he got it to fit and it looked great... it seems like when MAC machined all these parts they didnt think that maybe they were all supposed to fit together because they dont... 2:
Actually when I installed my friend Paul's O/R h-pipe we had the same problem, but his driver's side was only about 1/4" short so I tinkered with the flare and we filled the little gap with high temp silicone. But mine went on with out a problem.

Old 10-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #12

ill take some pics of the install so you guys can see what i had to go thru
Old 10-19-2004, 12:20 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm completely done but I got rid of my plugs when I pulled em cause they were sh**ty. I'm broke so on wednesday I'll be able to testdrive it when my check comes.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Completely forgot I owned a pc for the past couple of days!! I have headers in, no leaks and they're all bolted up fine. Took a bit of massaging but they're good with my Y-pipe. Everyone was right, minimal power gains but it DEFINITLEY deepened my exhaust note. Under WOT my car sounds like an 8 around 3.5 grand. Can't wait to get my X-pipe!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang