Cold Air Intake (CAI) help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 AM   #1

Region: Arizona
Cold Air Intake (CAI) help

im trying to buy a cai an not sure wat to get alot of people say K\N for a mustang an i price them at 150-250 not sure if its worth the money. when on ebay i see this other cai i think its a bomz racing cai it seems legit but for 80 idk. it seems stupid to pay 250 for a cai when i get same gains wit a 80 one... ....thoughts

plus another question came up the other day ive had a friend tell me that a cai wont produce any hp or torq with out a tune... true??? i kno a cai is mostly to improve ur mpg but i also thought i mite get a lil hp gain also.

thanks for all ur input all are appreciated.

o and i need advise on wat to do wit my sixer... im done wit apperance.. besides wanting to buy rims but i want to put money in to engine first b4 i spend money on rims. would suck if my engine blows when i spent 800+ on rims. i was thinking cams, headers, 3.10 gears(maybe), plus the cai, and a sc if im lucky. thoughts, suggestions.

thanks all
Skyes97Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta
Re: Cold Air Intake (CAI) help

You can get a Bomz CAI from ebay and it'l work just fine. All CAI's are all the same, and don't let anyone tell you any different. Unless the filter is made out of paper, then it's ****. Also, if you're lookin' for quick HP and TQ, hit Mysteed from 3.8mustangs.com up for his M112 Supercharger Kit.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

The Bomz CAI or the American Muscle CAI will work just fine. I'd personally go with the American Muscle CAI. $74.99, free shipping, install directions, and decent support come from the company. You will receive optimal performance from the CAI, along with other supporting mods ~ udp's, exhaust, with a tune, but there is still some hp and a slight mpg increase offered without the tune.

Here is the article from the site about modding a V6. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how much hp you want to have.

V6 Mustang Modification Guide

Forced induction and supporting mods, along with gears/tlok and some suspension uprades, all followed up by a good tune will give a you a decent 200-300rwhp car.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

If your car is an auto you will want 4.10 gears and if its manual then you want 3.73. And i would not do cams unless you are getting other supporting mods like porting your intakes or heads. because you have to disassemble a lot just to get the cam for only like 15rwhp. If you are wanting power then dont get headers only worth 3-5 rwhp. If you want HP go with MYSTEED's m112 kit or go with a TMA turbo or Vortex SC.

Also i have the bomz racing CAI and it works great.
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

All CAI work the same some are just shiner then others CAI isn't worth more then 3 to 5 HP. But ever little bit helps, underdrive pully is a decent HP increase for the money .
I'd stay away from the m112 The root S/C is harder on the bottom end then a vortech or procharger.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #6

thank you all for ur input i really appreciate it. it jus didnt seem right to pay more then i would need to for sumthing i would get the same amount of gains wit. then again k/n is a good brand name so... ok im buying the american muscle cai as we speak. cant wait to get it. =)

one more question, after buying the cai should i not worry about cams heads and gears and jus get a sc? wat i want is to be close to even wit the Gt's i kno il never be even with them but i would like to try. wat should i get?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

^I think it all depends on how much boost your runnin. The stock internals/block can take a decent amount of abuse, but it probably isn't the best for the car.
I personally don't have any experience with either, so I couldn't honestly tell you.

Either way, you'll want to beef up the drivetrain to handle the added power load.
I also agree with Herbstang on the m112. I'd go with a procharger or vortech, hell, the m112 adapter alone is $900. Plus, you'd need to either modify your hood or use a completely different one.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyes97Stang View Post
thank you all for ur input i really appreciate it. it jus didnt seem right to pay more then i would need to for sumthing i would get the same amount of gains wit. then again k/n is a good brand name so... ok im buying the american muscle cai as we speak. cant wait to get it. =)

one more question, after buying the cai should i not worry about cams heads and gears and jus get a sc? wat i want is to be close to even wit the Gt's i kno il never be even with them but i would like to try. wat should i get?
You can run the S/C without doing H/C/I and make about 230 to 250 RWHP I won't run more then 6 to 8 PSI on a stock bottom end Some people run more boost and haven't had any issues YET the 3.8 bottom end is fairly strong

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Road Trip!

I still wouldn't run more than 8 psi on a stock engine, though. Myself, I wouldn't run over 6.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #10

do all superchargers put out the same amount of power or do they differ?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on how much psi you're running. A procharger will run different psi than a vortech.

Vortech ~ V-2 SQ S-trim for a 97 mustang ~ 215hp at 9psi max
Procharger ~V P-1SC for a 97 mustang ~ 75-80% increase in hp 11psi

You'd probably want to upgrade your fuel management with either.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

cai will give you 3-5hp and about teh same tq on a 3.8L v6, not worth much as you wont even feel it. You are only paying for quality not gains.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #13

Smile Re: Cold Air Intake (CAI) help

The bbk performance CAI is in my eye sight but i would like to know if it is street legal
Mexican_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #14

is the bbk performance CAI street legal for the 2005 v6
Mexican_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
Road Trip!

It should be, it's an intake.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

I have a bbk as well and I know that they are legal in SC but the only state that I would think that it would matter would be cali bc of it's strict emissions laws.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai, cold air intake