spark plugs and wires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:49 PM   #1

spark plugs and wires

We changed the spark plugs and wires on my brothers 96 and it felt like it was a big change with the new stuff..seeemed to run better....there is 148,000 on the auto trans and 60,000 on the new engine. Well we took it in to get the oil changed and now its horrible. It idles arlight but when he gets to around 60 it wants to stop...then he floor the pedal cause before it would kick in but now it stops at 4 RPM and he cant go any faster but if he barely press the pedal it will let us go go 70 with no problems at all...just if we floor it...any ideas?

Thanks

Bryan
romeoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It started doing this after getting the oil changed? If so, and you can prove it's something those people did, then have a list of what's wrong written up and deliver it to the owner of the oil change place. Other than that..I dunno what to tell you about the problem without actually driving the car to see how it reacts.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
I've seen clogged fuel filters act just like this.. they can idle alright/accelerate semi-okay but once it hits high RPMs it'll want to start cutting out
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Check your plug wires one might be lose
Fuel Filter might need replacing
Another possibility is check your oil level if the palce over filled it it will cause severe drag as you increase speed. I friend of mine once complained that his car was acting sluggish after a oil change. I pulled out his dip stick and found the oil was way past the full mark. It was a camaro with a 5 gal capicity and I had to take out almost 3 quarts to bring it down to 5 quarts. he then proceeded to tell me that jiffy lube used a pneumatic oil filler and ebvidently not paying attention. It was the opposite probblem when a friend of mines wife pulled up after at my house after getting a oil change at the same jiffy lube saying she was smelling burning oil. I gert in ther car turn it on and find the eng temp elevated. I check her dipstick and no oil was registering. I put in 3 quarts of oil and a pint of marvel mystery oil to bring her up to full. They also used the pnuematic oil filler.

Moral to ther story make them pour out of bottles and make them show you the empty bottles and check the oil level before you leave. !!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Check your plug wires one might be lose
Fuel Filter might need replacing
Another possibility is check your oil level if the palce over filled it it will cause severe drag as you increase speed. I friend of mine once complained that his car was acting sluggish after a oil change. I pulled out his dip stick and found the oil was way past the full mark. It was a camaro with a 5 gal capicity and I had to take out almost 3 quarts to bring it down to 5 quarts. he then proceeded to tell me that jiffy lube used a pneumatic oil filler and ebvidently not paying attention. It was the opposite probblem when a friend of mines wife pulled up after at my house after getting a oil change at the same jiffy lube saying she was smelling burning oil. I gert in ther car turn it on and find the eng temp elevated. I check her dipstick and no oil was registering. I put in 3 quarts of oil and a pint of marvel mystery oil to bring her up to full. They also used the pnuematic oil filler.

Moral to ther story make them pour out of bottles and make them show you the empty bottles and check the oil level before you leave. !!!!!!!!!
pneumatic oil fillers save a WHOLE lot of time, makes life a whole lot easier, don't have to dump oil in through funnels that float around a shop, open a bottle each time one's empty... if a tech does his job properly he WILL start the car, shut it off and check the oil level before he closes the hood.
Old 10-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
pneumatic oil fillers save a WHOLE lot of time, makes life a whole lot easier, don't have to dump oil in through funnels that float around a shop, open a bottle each time one's empty... if a tech does his job properly he WILL start the car, shut it off and check the oil level before he closes the hood.
It is easier for the jiffy lube attendant but it is not the best thing for the customer.

I am a member of SAE Society of Automotive Engineers and ASQ American Society of Quality there have seen numerous complaints of fraud and negligence in the use of the pneumatic systems. SAE did a investigation and found 37% of the them put in to much or to little oil. ASQ did a investigation and found nearly 30% use cheap oil in the system instead of the premium oil they advertised, 11% using recycled oil.

So I suggest unless you know the people and place you go to STICK WITH OIL FROM A QUART CONTAINER when going to these lube places

Not that I dont like places that do oil changes. I use them for my rear in lube but you need to watch out for your own interest when involving your car and what people do to it.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
It is easier for the jiffy lube attendant but it is not the best thing for the customer.

I am a member of SAE Society of Automotive Engineers and ASQ American Society of Quality there have seen numerous complaints of fraud and negligence in the use of the pneumatic systems. SAE did a investigation and found 37% of the them put in to much or to little oil. ASQ did a investigation and found nearly 30% use cheap oil in the system instead of the premium oil they advertised, 11% using recycled oil.

So I suggest unless you know the people and place you go to STICK WITH OIL FROM A QUART CONTAINER when going to these lube places

Not that I dont like places that do oil changes. I use them for my rear in lube but you need to watch out for your own interest when involving your car and what people do to it.
I did not say I was a jiffy lube attendant, I work in a dealership.. The jiffy lube guys are all hourly, they can take all the time they need..

alright, sorry to bring this thread off topic, I didn't realize some of these places were so seedy with their oil practices

our dealership is clean with theirs.. quaker state oil, and it's been accurate as long as I've worked there
Old 10-24-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I did not say I was a jiffy lube attendant, I work in a dealership.. The jiffy lube guys are all hourly, they can take all the time they need..

alright, sorry to bring this thread off topic, I didn't realize some of these places were so seedy with their oil practices

our dealership is clean with theirs.. quaker state oil, and it's been accurate as long as I've worked there
Most dealerships are cool and for the most part will not ruin their name for some cheap oil not to mention having to replace a motor!!!!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty much what these guys said...just make sure all of the normal tune-up parts are fresh (plugs which you've done, fuel filter, etc.). I would also clean the mass air sensor by spraying the element with good carb cleaner or electronic contact cleaner.
2006 F250 CC 4x4 6.0L 14.3 @ 93
2006 Mustang 4.0 M5 Vortech 13psi 395RWHP/374RWTQ wife's car
justin00stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

not good practice to spray a MAF... this is just going by what all the senior techs in my shop say..
Old 10-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you use a non residue electrical cleaner it is OK. All you are doing is cleaning the MAF inner housing, especially if you use a K&N type filter that you oil.

I reccommend it !!!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
not good practice to spray a MAF... this is just going by what all the senior techs in my shop say..
Modern cars use electronics to control the engine, if the mass air sensor element is dirty it can cause a lean shift. Spraying the sensor element itself will do no harm and is needed to remove buildup, possibly oil from KN filters.
justin00stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang