!!!!Coil Overs!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

View Poll Results: What Lowering Method Should I Use?
Coil Overs? 5 38.46%
Lowering springs 8 61.54%
Air Ride 0 0%
Adjustable Struts 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2003, 01:48 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to !*!STANG!*!
!!!!Coil Overs!!!!

Has anyone instaled or does anyone know of any coilovers out there for our cars? ive found lowering springs and adjustabal struts.. but what i want are coilovers... anyone find any or have any instaled PLEASE let me know im dying over this... Thanks you!

Future Mods: 1 JL 10W3v2 in a ported box, JVC Arsenal KD-SX9350, 4 Infinity Kappa 572.5cf, Custom True Dual Exhuast and gutted cat, SSX Sheetmetal Upper Intake Manifold, Paint, Eibach Pro Kit and Eibach Pro Damper Kit plus more im only 15 so i have pleanty of time :)
!*!STANG!*! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Coilovers are nice but I think I would go with lowering springs!!!

Corey
Old 07-23-2003, 04:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Why would you prefer lowering springs instead of coil overs? Arent' coil overs suppsoed to improve handling over the plain lowering springs?
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to slow232 Send a message via Yahoo to slow232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse
Why would you prefer lowering springs instead of coil overs? Arent' coil overs suppsoed to improve handling over the plain lowering springs?
Correct.But it takes alot more money to do coilovers then to just buy springs.

Coilovers are about 500.00 bucks + Good shocks and struts 500.00+ CC plates 200,Then if your going to have somebody else install the stuff then your looking at about 400.00. i paid about 1200 bucks for my suspension that's including Coilovers ,shocks, struts and CC plates.I installed everything myself.

Now for springs you dont really need shocks and struts but it wouldn't hurt...also you might need cc plates but it wouldnt be a bad idea to get them.
Springs $200 cc plates $200 S&S 350 = 750

Springs do not come close the control of having coilovers.Trust me i've driven a car with h&r's with bilsteins and i drive mine with coilvers and kyb's (soon to be Koni Double adjustables) and it doesnt compare.
slow232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to el cheapo
i have heard that you need shocks and struts if you get lowering springs. . . that your stock ones will fail within a few months once you lower it.

is this not true??? : :

if i can do springs without shocks, i might just do it by the end of summer as well.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to slow232 Send a message via Yahoo to slow232
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo
i have heard that you need shocks and struts if you get lowering springs. . . that your stock ones will fail within a few months once you lower it.

if i can do springs without shocks, i might just do it by the end of summer as well.
Stop being a cheap *** and get shocks and struts to go with the new springs.
slow232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to el cheapo
hahaha

but i cant!! i cant go against my cheep *** nature!!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I just put in my coil over kit on the front. After 40 miles I give them the edge over springs. Just watch Ebay for a good deal. And get the shocks and struts too.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
Kenny Brown makes a coil over kit that's $1500 that replaces the stock a-frame too, and changes the wheel base by one inch. It makes it longer I believe. Any ideas on the inprovement, if any, that would make over just using the stock A-frame?
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse
Yes, what slow232 said.

We all have slow, cheap, V6 Mustangs. Unless you're going all out, lowering springs will be just fine. If you're building a road car or a drag car, then that's different. 95% of the people here though would be best off with lowering springs.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo

Nothing will "fail", it just won't perform half as well as they will with matching shocks/struts. Don't sweat it, just keep a look out for some cheap tokico or bilsteins.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
My car will handle better now than I am willing to take the chance to drive it, if I handled better it would just be a waste of money, and I have a modified GT, lol!!
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the ONLY reason i would get coil overs is if you are really wanting to get out there and autox and etc. cuz you will adjust them and leave them be....they cost alot more than spings. i would just buy springs and be done with it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang