Mustang Evolution Forum banner

my tranny is talking :(

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bloodyspirit058 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess ill throw this question your guys way after probably already figuring it out with a mustang buddy of mine.

i heard weird sounds coming from the center part of the car directly behind the engine after a nice 50-90+ run out on the freeway, course for me, 3rd is what i use to get there (maybe 4th, but i know i start going in 3rd). anyway, i was listening really hard and after a while i noticed i was following a turbo deseal. so i ignored it.

i got the tranny fluid switched since i just got the car and took it racing this last weekend. coming back home i had some fun on the freeway some more and low and behold, it started making the same sound, i wish i could describe it, but i can't really. It's kidna like a whooshing metallic noise, if that makes any since. it kinda goes away a little if i press on the gas, also, if i shift to neutral, rev it, let the rpm back down than shift back into gear (the last part is usually in 5th when i start to notice the noise).

i'm pretty sure this only does it when i have the car at around 3.5-4k rpm, if i have it at 2 or below i don't seem to have any problems

#2 ·
its either rear end gears (check rear end fluid) or transmission~ if it goes away when you get on the gas and comes back when you left off and its like a whine it could be the rear end

#3 ·
it doesn't exactly go away, it just kind dulls and changes a little... it also doesn't sound far back in the car, but i guess sounds can be tricky to track down sometimes

#4 ·
I also have this rattling sound but mine does it all the time. I can't figure it out either so if someone can shed some light I would also like to thank you. Not to hijack the thread, but my rearend is howling really bad...do you think changing the fluid and friction modifier would help that out?

#5 ·
the guy iwas talking about in my first post says he thinks the synchros, he also said 3rd and 4th are the first gears to wear out (unless you completly bust one during hard shifts) and so if all that is true, i think thats the problem, just wanted to see what you guys thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.