Driveway exhaust system install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Driveway exhaust system install

Similar to my front calipers question.. anyone here have driveway experience replacing the entire exhaust system in the driveway with only jackstands?

I'll have a reciprocating saw to cut the stock exhaust off, and tools to unblot stuff, anything else I'll need? I also have a few how tos.
CreationNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: Driveway exhaust system install

I have full exhaust on my car and I did it all on jack stands, unfortunately. besides the tools, you'll need good penetrating lube for the bolts (even if they don't look rusty), some soapy water for the exhaust hangers (taking off and putting exhaust back on), and some patience when it comes time to get everything tucked up yet still straight. If you are doing headers, it can get frustrating at times and your back will be sore from laying on the ground. I had to disconnect the steering shaft at the rag joint to get my shorties in. To get the header gasket to stay in place, I used twisty ties on the outside holes and started the center bolts and worked my way out, which is the proper way to tighten the bolts. Also, tighten the bolts, run the car and get it hot, re-tighten the bolts, and repeat one or two more times. If you need any advice or tricks feel free to ask. Sorry this is long and thrown together in one huge blob.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Did you replace yours on the stang in your signature?

Yeah, I'll be replacing everything (shorties, mid pipe, cat back). I actually footed for the stage 8 locking bolts too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreationNation View Post
Yeah, I'll be replacing everything (shorties, mid pipe, cat back). I actually footed for the stage 8 locking bolts too.
Let me know how those stage eight bolts work out. If ya dont mind.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

yup, everything was done on the car in my picture. Its a 1995 GT. The stage 8 bolts are worth it but can be kind of a pain because of having more than one tool in a tight area. I ended up getting some special kind of bolt that is tapered but does the same thing and they seemed to work.

95 GT- Sold
Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
Let me know how those stage eight bolts work out. If ya dont mind.
Will do.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, if I am installing the complete system header to tailpipe, should I do one section at a time (cat back, H-pipe, headers) or remove it all, and go from header to cat back?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

like everyone else, it can be done just its going to be a pain sometimes and ur prally gonna be sore the day after haha.

I would just take everything off and work from the headers back and line things up as you go as far as the h pipe and tailpipes are concerned.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

You're going to have to have the mid pipe off to do the headers. Other than that, it's really up to you. It might be easier to go from from to back. Do the headers, then mid pipe, then catback when installing. Also, when you do the midpipe and catback, keep all the connections loose so you can move and tuck everything up. This even includes the collectors-midpipe connection. I recommend using a jack on the mid pipe to support/get it up as high as possible.

95 GT- Sold
Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Cool really appreciate the input guys. Been about 15+ years since I've done any real hard core tinkering, and that was on an ol 73 Nova

One more...
Is it safe to have the whole car on jack stands, or just do one end, then the other as you work back?

I think I need to go out and get a reallll jack (borrowed Father in laws) - it's not up as high as I would like it to be (unless that's as high as it gets and that's the room I have t work with, doh).
Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

its safe to do all 4 corners but it depends on a the ground mainly. Jack up one end just enough to get some stands under it, then move to the other end and do the same thing. Then go back to the front and raise it up some more, then back to the back and so on and so on. I wouldnt try to max out the stands in one shot or something is going to move while jacking it. Just try to keep it level while going up and you shouldnt run into any problems.

For doing the catback I would put the stands on the subframe to fish the tailpipes in then move the stands under the axle tubes so the suspension compresses and you can see how much room your working with on getting it lined and tucked up. That way you know it wont hit or bind when you lower it down.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I hate putting a car up on 4 jackstands...but it sure makes everything easier. You should most definitely be able to do it in the driveway with no problems, just take your problems.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet thanks (I'm in my garage, concrete floor). Definitely need to go get a jack that can go higher, and thanks for the tips on the axle deal.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

soak old bolts with penetration stuff for a good while so they come off easier~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

also for the jack not going higher, get it as high as it can then put some pieces of lumber on it to raise it up that much more.

I do this when I have to get the car up alot but only do it by the crossmember and rear housing. I wouldnt want to do it to the subframe just incase it slips I wouldnt want a 2x4 sticking through my floor.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So guys, working on removing the old exhaust right now (bolts connecting header to mid pipe) - aznd I think one stripped on me already grrr. I soaked the suckers down with WD-40 for a while but they are TOUGH.

One came off, one I am working on now, and the passenger side top I have no idea how I'm even going to get to yet.

So, what to do with a stripped bolt? Never had to deal with that before

edit: I just some actual penetrating oil (I thought that was another name for wd40!) - will see if it does anything.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I finally muscled and oiled that stubborn bolt to the point it literally snapped in half by turning it, good times!

So last hurdle before we have complete removal, the air pipe that comes down from the engine area into the Mid pipe. I don't see how it is coming off without cutting it, so when I do cut it, does the replacement mid pipe make up for the length of cut, does anyone know?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

there are two bolts on each side on each header, there, and where the catback bolts up. Thats it. The entire section there comes off in one piece.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Right, I mean this line that is connected to the mid pipe:

Old 04-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

cant tell by the closeup, but the air line running into the h pipe, is that the little u shaped bolt with a nut on it. If so you can cut it off and they sell a piece of rubber hose that looks like garden hose you can hose clamp onto the air line, then onto the tube comming off the h pipe.

You could always just delete the whole damn smog system... but in order to keep it, check around on that hose so you can connect the tube back up if you cant get that bolt to come off.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

kinda like this Derale 13016 - just try to find it are your local parts store since you need about 3" of it to have enough to clamp to each tube.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I had already cut off that U shape bolt/nut - you are correct.

I have to keep the smog junk, strict emissions here in Virginia.

Now that you say that, I do recall a small piece of hose that came with the Mid pipe! I will double check that in the morning, thanks!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Yes I had already cut off that U shape bolt/nut - you are correct.

I have to keep the smog junk, strict emissions here in Virginia.

Now that you say that, I do recall a small piece of hose that came with the Mid pipe! I will double check that in the morning, thanks!
This way definately works. I had to cut mine as well so I just have a piece of rubber hose and some hose clamps connecting the difference. It works well.

95 GT- Sold
Old 04-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

So everything went FAIRLY well. I ended up taking it to my local Mustang shop to redo the catbacks, that was a major pain getting lined up and being happy with it not hitting anywhere.

It was quite an experience, and not sure if I would do it again with such time constraints I was under...haha. The worst part was getting the stock stuff off there (as mentioned and heard before).

Now the next battle is my emissions... I still failed after all this new stuff, ugh.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust