I think i fixed it. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I think i fixed it.

I think i fixed the prob with my trans shifting wierd. It wasn't shifting out of first until about 3k 3500 rpm unless i let off the gas and waited a second or shifted into 2nd manually. Then it would go immediatly into 3rd, then OD seemed to work ok. After doing lots of reading, and talking and some more reading. I adjusted the TPS sensor voltage a little higher, and cleaned the MAF sensor with throttle body cleaner. On the way home from work today it bucked into 2nd the first time. From then on it shifted pretty good, from a stop and while moving. Gonna drive it easy for the next day or so and see what happens.

I've also got a rack with tie rods coming my way for $40 Now to find some tires and do the alignment, then i'll be ready for some mods, WooHoo!
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: I think i fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
I think i fixed the prob with my trans shifting wierd. It wasn't shifting out of first until about 3k 3500 rpm unless i let off the gas and waited a second or shifted into 2nd manually. Then it would go immediatly into 3rd, then OD seemed to work ok. After doing lots of reading, and talking and some more reading. I adjusted the TPS sensor voltage a little higher, and cleaned the MAF sensor with throttle body cleaner. On the way home from work today it bucked into 2nd the first time. From then on it shifted pretty good, from a stop and while moving. Gonna drive it easy for the next day or so and see what happens.

I've also got a rack with tie rods coming my way for $40 Now to find some tires and do the alignment, then i'll be ready for some mods, WooHoo!
Congrats, glad to hear its going good for you.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

nice
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

bah humbug! it started acting up again this morning. Revs high in first before shifting to second, then immediately into 3rd. Read a TSB this morning about an accumulator seal going bad in the aode and causing 1-2 shift to take excessive time. maybe the high reving once it hits the normal shift point is actually the trans trying to shift.? but that doesn't explain why it got better yesterday. Is it possible for a TPS to go bad and not turn on the CE light? Unhooking it cause the idle to rev up for a split second then its fine at idle. no flucuation? maybe I just need to throw a 5 speed in it lol
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Sounds like an issue with the solenoids in the transmission.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute to see if the computer will reset.... If it doesn't work, sounds like transmission solenoids As Brent suggested

maybe you can find something here http://www.becontrols.com/ourfaqs/ao...1.htm#02185980

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute to see if the computer will reset.... If it doesn't work, sounds like transmission solenoids As Brent suggested

maybe you can find something here Troubleshooting the AOD Transmission
Thanx for that site. unfortunatly the "ask a question" link is broken, but good info none the less. Will try the battery thing and see what happens. Gonna rig my scanner up and try to drive it, see if i get any info about the trans. OBDII would make it so much easier to drive the car with the scanner involved
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

OK, hooked the scanner up and watched it while i had someone else drive. As i'm driving it starts in first, then about 1800rpm the scanner says it shifts to 2nd, but it doesn't, then it shifts to 3rd. So it kind of sliding right past 2nd and occasionaly you can feel it for a split second. Solenoid??? and how many are there (2?) wich ones controls what?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT