I need some help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Region: Washington
Thumbs down I need some help

i HAVE A 93 LX 5.0 when I got the car it had been neglected, anyway I have done the following to it new trans t-5 major tune up plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter O2 sensors egr block off now when I drive it I get on it and it runs hard to about 4000-4400 then it starts poping timing is right fuel pump is a little noisey but when I disconnect the vaccum line from the regulator it stays at 42 psi I took my mass air meter apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner and a q-tip I tried to take out the timing stunt chip and drove it to see if that was it and it felt powerless also it will start to idle low and rough I ran injector cleaner and that seemed to help for a little bit but it was still popping at higher revs it almost feels like a rev limiter but why would that be happening at 4 grand my check engine light is on and the codes said o2 when i look at my plugs they look white like its runnin lean if someone has had the sme symptoms it would be a big help to fill me in
Thanx guys
93 5.0 h.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Re: I need some help

I'm no expert But from what you said i would say the fuel pump is starting to go bad or the fuel filter is plugging Id go with the filter first of corse. (just a guess but the rev limiter shut off the fuel pump and it sound like you are not getting fuel at high rev)
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

when I first changed the filter I could not even blow through it I thought it was plugged again and I took it out and it was fine but I replaced any way same problem the lady got it from lived on a dirt road is there any way the injectors could be clogged or stuck open cause Iam getting real ****ty gas millage too and some tiems it smells rich and sometimes it smells lean this is really pissing me off I have never had a problem I couldnt figure out Im baffled if I replace the fuel pump and that isnt the problem Im gunna scream I wish there was a way to check it i GUESS i COULD RUN A HOSE FROM WHERE MY FUEL PRESSURE GAUGE IS INTO MY CAY GO ROMP ON IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS hope for the best i guess ne way thanx man I appreciate it your ride sounds sick
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Your MAF and O2 sensors control how rich and lean your car runs if she lived on a dirt road i would guess MAF but you are getting a O2 code ?????
Billet fuel door, Daiblo 91 Tune, Xenon ram air hood scoop, MAC performance direct fit headers, 3" 304 SS Dual exhaust, hood pin appearance kit, Red l.E.D. underbody lights, Boy Racer rear wing, Helix power tower plus Throttle body spacer, ventvisor deflector, Aeroform chin spoiler, SVT 18" 9.5 45/255 frount SVT 18" 9.5 40/285 rear trire , GTO rear blackout kit, OEM rear splash guards, Steeda CAI, 8.8 rear axle with 3.73.1 LSD, killer Glass Hose, Smoked Window Louvers by GT Styling 35% Tenting on rear and side windows.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #5

Question Re: I need some help

now it is poppin at idle well from idle to 1400 im confused this is weird and uncalled for lol ne way at idle my pressure is 38 and with the vacuum line off the pressure regulator it goes up to the mid to high 40's then last night I went to do a couple burn outs and when I shifted to second with my foot to the floor it seemed like it didnt do anything its almost like it surges hmm i guess back to the old drawing board
Randell
Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

i already changed the o2 sensors out the first code was a o2 code then I changed one of the wires on my maf looks brown and the other looks normal so thats what I thought at first thats why i took apart and cleaned it I couldnt get the brown off though so I guess its gunns be 180 for a new mass air damn how much money do I have to put into this thing well whatever its fun to drive
Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'd go to the junk yard or find a frend to swap out long enough to trouble shoot But the mach should be able to tell you right off if its the MAF
Old 07-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

I got a neighbor with a 92 so I will ask him If I can borrow his maf for a little bit if thats the problem then sweeeeeeeet but if not then what ever
Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Good Luck
Old 07-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tousley Ford Parts Depot cheaper here
Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #11

ur the **** man
Old 07-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

MAF sensor Bad? [Archive] - DoItYourself.com Community Forums here is a site that shows you how to trouble shoot a MAF
Old 07-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #13

where do i go there its like a parts depot
I dont know where to go ne way Im gunna use my neighbors maf in about a hour then ill let you know thanx man for the help
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

MAF sensors can be tested either on or off
the vehicle in a variety of ways.
You can use a MAF Sensor Tester and
tachometer to check the sensor’s response.
If testing on the vehicle, unplug the wiring
harness connector from the sensor and
connect the tester and tachometer. Start the
engine and watch the readings. They should
change as the throttle is opened and
closed. No change would indicate a
bad sensor. The same hookup can be
used to test the MAF sensor off the
vehicle. When you blow through the sensor,
the readings should change if the sensor is
detecting the change in air flow.
Another check is to read the sensor’s voltage
or frequency output on the vehicle. With
Bosch hot-wire MAF sensors, the output
voltage can be read directly with a digital
voltmeter by back probing the brown-and white
output wire to terminal B6 on the
PCM. The voltage reading should be around
2.5 volts. If out of range, or if the sensor’s
voltage output fails to increase when the
throttle is opened with the engine running,
the sensor may be defective. Check the orange
and black feed wire for 12 volts, and the
black wire for a good ground. Power to the
MAF sensor is provided through a pair of
relays (one for power, one for the burn-off
cleaning cycle), so check the relays too, if the
MAF sensor appears to be dead or sluggish.
If the sensor works but is slow to respond to
changes in air flow, the problem may be a
contaminated sensing element caused by a
failure in the self-cleaning circuit or relay.
With GM Delco MAF sensors, attach a
digital voltmeter to the appropriate MAF
sensor output terminal. With the engine
idling, the sensor should output a steady 2.5
volts. Tap lightly on the sensor and note the
meter reading. A good sensor should show
no change. If the meter reading jumps and/or
the engine momentarily misfires, the sensor
is bad and needs to be replaced. You can
also check for heat-related problems by
heating the sensor with a hair dryer and
repeating the test.
This same test can also be done using a
meter that reads frequency. The older AC
Delco MAF sensors (like a 2.8L V6) should
show a steady reading of 32 Hz at idle to
about 75 Hz at 3,500 rpm. The later model
units (like those on a 3800 V6 with the
Hitachi MAF sensor) should read about
2.9 kHz at idle and 5.0 kHz at 3,500 rpm.
If tapping on the MAF sensor produces a
sudden change in the frequency signal,
it’s time for a new sensor.
On GM hot-film MAFs, you can also use
a scan tool to read the sensor’s output in
“grams per second” (gps), which corresponds
to frequency. The reading should go from
4 to 8 gps at idle up to 100 to 240 gps at
wide-open throttle.
Like throttle position sensors, there should
be smooth linear transition in sensor output
as engine speed and load change. If the
readings jump all over the place, the computer
won’t be able to deliver the right air/fuel
mixture and driveability and emissions will
suffer. So you should also check the sensor’s
output at various speeds to see that its
output changes appropriately.
Another way to observe the sensor’s
output is to look at its waveform on an
oscilloscope. The waveform should be square
and show a gradual increase in frequency as
engine speed and load increase. Any skips
or sudden jumps or excessive noise in the
pattern would tell you the sensor needs to
be replaced.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

on ebay 80mm MAF 87/04 Mass Air Meter Sensor Mustang Cobra 5.0 :eBay Motors (item 220446344954 end time Jul-31-09 18:00:35 PDT)

$60 bucks
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #16

your the man Im pretty sure that from what Iam reading it is the maf im gunna go get one tomorrow do i can go stomp on some stupid no torque hondas ne way you rad thanx for taking the time to help but from the sounds of it thats what it is cause it is now missing at idle witch means my plyga are probably fowled out so I gots to get some sand paper too but yeah thanx for putting fourth that extra mile man it is really appreciated
Randell
Old 07-13-2009, 02:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

How did the MAF work out
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #18

now it runs like a beast but it is running rich as hell and the it wont let me retrieve the codes or do any test so I think my ecu is bad it idle's rough and yes I replaced all the spark plugs so I think it is the ecu my friend had the same kind of problem holds a high idle for a little bit when stopped then drops so Iam gunna go get a ecu tomorrow and hope for the best thats after I go to the tranny shop and have my tail shaft bushing and seal replaced and hope my new yok isnt worn out I might just swear if that happens
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

good luck
Old 07-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #20

Region: Georgia

I give up reading all that with no commas or seperate paragraphs cause it just all runs together and I dont even know that much about cars so I am not at all worried that Im deciding to click next thread instead of reading every word you just typed real quick no offense.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #21

why would you even take the time to reply and make your self look like a dick have a nice life
P.S people like are what make people mean get a life
Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risingsun View Post
I give up reading all that with no commas or seperate paragraphs cause it just all runs together and I dont even know that much about cars so I am not at all worried that Im deciding to click next thread instead of reading every word you just typed real quick no offense.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 5.0 h.o View Post
why would you even take the time to reply and make your self look like a dick have a nice life
P.S people like are what make people mean get a life
You tried grammar! Nice period and capital letters for the 'P.S'. You're still lacking everything else! No comprende jiberish!? Que?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT