1999 3.8 swap to 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1999 3.8 swap to 5.0?

How would I go about swapping a 1999 3.8 v6 with a 302 pushrod V8. I have the block, just need a 'how to' on wiring, plumbing and how it would proceed. I guess what I am asking is for a detailed step by step on how to do so. Thanks
snake428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
i'd have a place do it...but if you have engine crane + garage + a ton of tools and money + dont mind not having you car for a long time... I would definately find someone who really knows what their doing to help you. I can't help as far as a how-to though.
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

too much to make it worth it. A modular swap is a smarter idea.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
too much to make it worth it. A modular swap is a smarter idea.
I agree with stangin99 If you want to do a swap with a 5.0 into a 99 you will need donor car because you will need the engine, cross member, complete wire harnesses, computer, gauges. It is much easier to swap a 5.0 into a 94-95. I would swap in a 4.6 or a 5.4.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
you may also consider dropping a 4.2 v-6 in.... also very easy... ... and powerful

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to spadez81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
I agree with stangin99 If you want to do a swap with a 5.0 into a 99 you will need donor car because you will need the engine, cross member, complete wire harnesses, computer, gauges. It is much easier to swap a 5.0 into a 94-95. I would swap in a 4.6 or a 5.4.
Same here. That's a lot of headache trying to do that swap. You can find a lot of places who sell complete 4.6 engines for a reasonable price. There's one place in particular, but I can't think of the name. It's outside of Atlanta. They sell used 4.6 engines and even '03-'04 Cobra engines
Old 05-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadez81
Same here. That's a lot of headache trying to do that swap. You can find a lot of places who sell complete 4.6 engines for a reasonable price. There's one place in particular, but I can't think of the name. It's outside of Atlanta. They sell used 4.6 engines and even '03-'04 Cobra engines

You are talking about http://www.stangparts.com
Old 05-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
for the money you wont be able to beat a 5.0 swap if you build the motor that is... its not easy and at times you will wish you had never thought of it but it can be done... just takes alot of time and efford and money and money (money twice cuz it takes more of it than anything)

if you dont feel like your up to it sell the car and buy a 5.0 in the end you will save quite a bit just doing that.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to spadez81
Quote:
You are talking about http://www.stangparts.com
Thanks, gotta remember that
Old 05-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
MPS (stangparts.com) is expensive as hell though! They wanted over $2k for a complete 5.0, a t5, wiring, and computer with over 100k miles on the clock.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Stangparts has a how to on their website to do a swap in for a 5.0L into a V6 stang, I think it was an older model but you should be able to get some ideas. You will most likely need a 5.0L computer for sure, and a lot of other stuff the donor car thing would be the only way to do and don't even think of hiring someone to do it, that would take a good bankroll. As someone else said, selling the 99 and buying an older stang, fox body or 94-95 would be a better way to go. Then the 5.0 in a GT is already there.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
for the money you wont be able to beat a 5.0 swap if you build the motor that is... its not easy and at times you will wish you had never thought of it but it can be done... just takes alot of time and efford and money and money (money twice cuz it takes more of it than anything)

if you dont feel like your up to it sell the car and buy a 5.0 in the end you will save quite a bit just doing that.
efford??
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
actually a modular swap would be harder, the only reason you'd want to swap engines in that late model of a car would be to go to pushrod for some reason, the mod's are great motors though, and it'll be much much cheaper to sell your car and buy a v8 than it would be to swap.

oh btw, you won't need a cross member.. you will need everything else he listed plus trans housing, and well I won't get into that
its a pain, I did a 4 cyclinder to v8 swap but I did it because I wanted to learn, it ended up costing me just as much as I had bought a v8 to begin with and I had lots of time in it, DEFINETLY A COOL PROJECT THOUGH!

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy
actually a modular swap would be harder, the only reason you'd want to swap engines in that late model of a car would be to go to pushrod for some reason, the mod's are great motors though, and it'll be much much cheaper to sell your car and buy a v8 than it would be to swap.

oh btw, you won't need a cross member.. you will need everything else he listed plus trans housing, and well I won't get into that
its a pain, I did a 4 cyclinder to v8 swap but I did it because I wanted to learn, it ended up costing me just as much as I had bought a v8 to begin with and I had lots of time in it, DEFINETLY A COOL PROJECT THOUGH!
no, a modular swap would be a lot easier. The 4.6 motors use the same k-members as our 99+ 3.8s and already the fuel lines as well as the basic electrical done.

Swapping to a pushrod you have to convert to a return style fuel system, put in an older computer and then splice all the wiring in, among many other PITA changes.

A modular swap is a hell of a lot easier.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Computer? wiring?

How about a carb and a regular electronic distributor? Make swapping a 5.0 into a 99 stang easier. No need to worry about EFI with the 5.0 swap, since it won't be smog legal anyway.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 1999 3.8 swap to 5.0?

I forget about all that computer stuff..

the k-member for a 3.8 and a 5.0 are the same though.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Cool Re: 1999 3.8 swap to 5.0?

OK I guess i will be the best help for you since there are so many NAY SAYERS here. It is extremely EASY to do a 5.0 swap into a 99+ sixcer stang. As you can tell from my name i Have a 2000 mustang that was born a V6 but now is a 5.0 HO. All you have to do is buy an 89 stang with a 5.0 Get the 89 because its probably the best 5.0 motor ever made it is also the first one to come with the mass air flow sensor oh also if you go by stock hp readings the 89 has the highest. OK so back to what i was saying buy a wrecked ugly 89 5.0 take everything out of the 5.0 and swap it into the 99+ stang. Take everything....again thats everything Take the ecu wiring harness even swap your fuse boxes for the 5.0 fuse boxes...I hate seeing people trying to make you change your mind about the swap when in truth it will take you one weekend to get the job done. Good game, No re NOOOOOOBS!. Yea but im right its cake to do because like i said i have mine done. So instead of listening to people try to convince you its hard and blah blah blah listen to me because ive done it and they haven't
2kStang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

Doing the same think

Any added input would be great
2002GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine had a write-up about a 3.8 to 5.0 swap,but they listed the swap for a 94-98 Mustang.I thought the 94-04 had the same body style or is there something different(i.e.-kmember,etc) between the 94-98 & 99-04 models,that would prevent this swap from being done??Im asking for my own personal knowledge as well as, why Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine only shows the swap listed for the 94-98 models instead of the 94-04 models??I'll post the link below that I'm referring to.

Converting a V-6 Mustang to V-8 Power - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #20

;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kStang5.0 View Post
OK I guess i will be the best help for you since there are so many NAY SAYERS here. It is extremely EASY to do a 5.0 swap into a 99+ sixcer stang. As you can tell from my name i Have a 2000 mustang that was born a V6 but now is a 5.0 HO. All you have to do is buy an 89 stang with a 5.0 Get the 89 because its probably the best 5.0 motor ever made it is also the first one to come with the mass air flow sensor oh also if you go by stock hp readings the 89 has the highest. OK so back to what i was saying buy a wrecked ugly 89 5.0 take everything out of the 5.0 and swap it into the 99+ stang. Take everything....again thats everything Take the ecu wiring harness even swap your fuse boxes for the 5.0 fuse boxes...I hate seeing people trying to make you change your mind about the swap when in truth it will take you one weekend to get the job done. Good game, No re NOOOOOOBS!. Yea but im right its cake to do because like i said i have mine done. So instead of listening to people try to convince you its hard and blah blah blah listen to me because ive done it and they haven't
Hey man any way you can give me some info about an upcoming swap im working on?
Johnrancor826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrancor826 View Post
Hey man any way you can give me some info about an upcoming swap im working on?
Lol he posted in 08. Also he's full of ****. If someone tells you the 89 was the best 5.0 ever made and then goes on about stock power ratings, stop reading and scroll on.

For a 5.0 swap into a 94+ V6 you will want a whole 94/95 GT donor car. You'll need the fuel system, entire wiring harness, gauges, K member, transmission, some driveline parts and all the small parts in the engine. Donor car will be cheapest vs trying to hunt down everything separately.

Actually no, the cheapest would be to sell your car and buy a car with the engine you want already in it. Unless you absolutely HAVE to have a New Edge with a 5.0. There was a stock one of those too actually (351 specifically) but unless you have near $50k to drop on one and can actually find one for sale...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #22

The reason why i stay away from forums full of idiotic ******** who want to talk **** instead of help lol
How is the guy full of ****???? Its his preference.
Johnrancor826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrancor826 View Post
The reason why i stay away from forums full of idiotic ******** who want to talk **** instead of help lol
How is the guy full of ****???? Its his preference.
He's full of **** because he was rambling about a motor identical to the 90, 91 and most of 92 being "the best". Its the same cast crank, hyper rods and forged pistons, E7 heads, GT cam and GT intake manifold they ALL got. Also identical to 87 and 88 if you convert to MAF. And also going by factory power ratings is a surefire sign of an internet racer.

Sorry that I didn't agree with you that a V6 swap is smart. If you'd like someone who just read something on the internet to agree with you then there are plenty of places for that. If you want actual advice then you're going to have to live with the fact that some of it is going to contradict what you want to hear.

Been there, done that with a V6 swap. Either get a complete donor car or sell your car and buy a GT. Those are the 2 cheapest ways to do it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #24

Region: Tennessee
3.8 swapped.to 5.0 fuel Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake428CJ View Post
How would I go about swapping a 1999 3.8 v6 with a 302 pushrod V8. I have the block, just need a 'how to' on wiring, plumbing and how it would proceed. I guess what I am asking is for a detailed step by step on how to do so. Thanks
Have you started your swap or have you went a different way
blackstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #25

Region: Delaware
Quote:

Can you pm me how you did it. Looking to do the same. Curious about driveshaft fitment did you have to customize the 89 or have one made to fit the 99 and have joints put on to marry it to the tranny? If you wouldn't mind sendin a list of your build as a sort of guideline that would be greatly appreciated
SickRoush13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRoush13 View Post
Can you pm me how you did it. Looking to do the same. Curious about driveshaft fitment did you have to customize the 89 or have one made to fit the 99 and have joints put on to marry it to the tranny? If you wouldn't mind sendin a list of your build as a sort of guideline that would be greatly appreciated
Do you see the date of his post? Almost 10 years ago he wrote that.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRoush13 View Post
Lol check the dates man. Also, you will want a COMPLETE 94/95 donor car if you want to swap a 5.0 pushrod into a New Edge. K member, fuel, electronics, transmission etc... is all different. Will also be illegal in most states that do a visual inspection.

Already has all been said in this thread too.

If you want a V8 New Edge... sell your V6 and buy a 99-04 GT, they are cheap as hell now. And to be blunt, the 4.6L modular is much MUCH better than the 5.0 pushrod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeaton View Post
Do you see the date of his post? Almost 10 years ago he wrote that.
Well, at least he used Google to find the thread I guess lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT