Mustang Evolution Forum banner

T5 durability?

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SpectorV 
#1 · (Edited)
Re: Weak T5s in the now-locked secrecy thread..

What are a T5's weak points?
am I missing something? I know its a stock trans and if you run massive amounts of power it can break.. but anything can at that.. engine,trans, rear etc..

T5s can take a good beating though - I run solid 13s without traction at launch..

The guy who owned the car before me rebuilt it himself (about ~50k miles before I bought it), and I have since made over 100 track passes on the car and generally beat the piss out of it, and it still shifts more smoothly than any t3650 (my 02.. which has been rebuilt once already because the synchros failed...) could ever dream of..

any ideas? info you can fill me in on?

#6 ·
the 99 up v6's have the strongest t5s out, the weak point is 5th gear of course, and the syncros, which do wear out just part of the deal.

Second gear seems to go out but ... i wonder why... if you take care of your t5 it will last a LONG time they are pretty darn strong... they get a bad rep due to dumbasses... one bd shift = screwed up... and rebuilt t5s usually have issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.