clutch quadrants... what are they? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
clutch quadrants... what are they?

What are clutch quadrants and adjusters and all that stuff? Being new to teh 5spd I dont really know what they are. Anyone want to explain it to me and give me a price range?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: clutch quadrants... what are they?

Clutch quadrants are what are use to route your cable from the clutch pedal to the tranny. While I can't give you a detailed technical definition, I do know they are the pivot points for your cable. If you think about it, the clutch pedal is just about even with where the cable attaches to the tranny. So, it has to go through the firewall and back to the tranny in order to engage/disengage the clutch. The adjuster lets you adjust the cable tension so that it is proper to prevent damage from too much tension as well as having cable slack.

I say go with the UPR thriple hook. The whole kit is like 50 bucks and that comes with the firewall adjuster, cable, and quadrant.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Oh, and to comment on why you would replace one.

The stock clutch quadrant is a plastic POS. Teeth will break. Adjustibility is limited. The rotational characteristics are not optimum.

An aftermarket quadrant with firewall adjuster typically will not run out of adjustment. Plus, the FW adjuster lets you fine tune the clutch. The quadrant itself is made of better material, and will usually have a better rotational ratio to make the clutch pedal feel and operate better.

Many use the Maximum Motorsports one, and a number swear by the Fiore. I haven't used either so I can't comment on them. I currently have the UPR piece and I am completely happy with it. I Kept my stock cable because it works great and is in great shape. Plus, it has already done any stretching it is going to do, so there should be no need to adjust the clutch due to cable stretch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Thanks man, the reason I ask is cause lately at times its nearly impossible to get my tranny into first or second... it feels like its being locked out. Then I push the clutch in even harder and itll slide right in. I saw on another board people talking about them and figured it might be useful to me. Also whenever I get on the car real hard and try to shift to 3rd, ill almost always miss the gear cause of the same conditions... its driving me crazy. It doesnt feel like the synchros are out, and it was sort of a gradual thing... so Im betting my cable stretched a bit and its just not disengaging enough to allow me to shift quickly. Hell maybe Ill go check and see if I have something aftermarket in there already, who knows.

I like toys
Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Hey, check your PM's. I was reading the other thread on SVTP and replying on this one so I just decided to send you a PM with my thoughts and also a way to adjust your current setup if it is stock. lol
Old 09-12-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

holy **** i have an aftermarket quadrant for sure... i dont know about the other stuff but that quadrant is defanitely a stainless steel piece.

I like toys
Old 09-12-2005, 04:44 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
holy **** i have an aftermarket quadrant for sure... i dont know about the other stuff but that quadrant is defanitely a stainless steel piece.
Does it have more than one set of hooks? You might need to move your cable to another hook. If you can in deed trouble shoot it down to your cable being slack, you could get a firewall adjuster and/or an adjustable cable to properly adjust things. Your description sounds a lot like your cable is too long....

I know, that's what all the girls say...right?
Old 09-12-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

damn right... im gonna go try to adjust it a bit... ill let ya know.

I like toys
Old 09-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

hell yes!!!!! i can finally run high in the RPM's again. It had a firewall adjuster and all... wow its always fun to get a free mod

I like toys
Old 09-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
hell yes!!!!! i can finally run high in the RPM's again. It had a firewall adjuster and all... wow its always fun to get a free mod
lol....you just saved $50.

Gotta love those little easter eggs you can find in a used car. At least it was as simple as a clutch cable adjustment.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Yeah no kidding... i finally got to shift from 1st to 2nd at redline without grinding the living crap out of my gears

I like toys
Old 09-12-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Take the manual drivers perspective. Lay down on your back after scooting the seat all the way back. Look under the dash and above the accelpetal, you will see (if stock) a white plastic half moon shaped quadrent where the clutch cable is on the end of it. Also at the back end you will see a little pawl (gear). That is the quadrent. Stock has no firewall adjuster, the adjuster goes in the engine bay where the clutch cable goes into teh firewall.

CAUTION: When you upgrade the quadrent and add a firewall adjuster you will have to adjust your clutch. The stock one does it for you, or its supposed to (does a POS job at it). The way to adjust it is to have tention on the cable, just a tad. In order to do this with a quadrent and firewall adjuster you would turn the firewall adjuster until the petal was firm at the top, no wobble. As you turn the adjuster to take slack up the petal will raise and until the petal hits the bump stop you can not get tention on the cable. Thus the petal will go as high as it can... this is annoying. Maximummotorsports.com has a petal height adjuster kit that basically lowers the bump stop... ive never used it so thats all I know about it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #13
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Thanks man, I found out I have an aftermarket setup already though so I just went and adjusted it and it worked great.

I like toys
Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #14

Region: Michigan

i just printed out a pic of one and sized it up to the stock one and made my own out of a piece of alluminum..I've been using it for 2 years $1 worth of alluminum scrap
band saw
dremel
FakeSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

nice man... def. worth it being that the stock ones are flimsy plastic

I like toys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT