Lifters... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci
Lifters...

tomorrow, Bane and I are throwing the 5.0 shortblock i have onto my engine stand

the cylinder walls still look good, i ned to clean off the sludge, get it as clean as possible, and get some engine paint, all that good stuff

now i know hydrolic lifters can go bad, can collapse and things of that nature, ive heard if theyve been out of the car for a while, to soak them in a container of tranny fluid, the tranny fluid would be able to clean and lube them, without harming them

anyone heard of this?
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Re: Lifters...

Yes...tranny fluid will work for your purpose but, if they have been out for a long period of time, why not go with a new set ?
Joel5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Road Trip!

they havnt been out, theyve been sitting in the engine for a while

i do have a spare set now

as for a new set, you wanna buy them for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
tomorrow, Bane and I are throwing the 5.0 shortblock i have onto my engine stand

the cylinder walls still look good, i ned to clean off the sludge, get it as clean as possible, and get some engine paint, all that good stuff

now i know hydrolic lifters can go bad, can collapse and things of that nature, ive heard if theyve been out of the car for a while, to soak them in a container of tranny fluid, the tranny fluid would be able to clean and lube them, without harming them

anyone heard of this?
My apologies, I thought they were out......

Once I had to do a heads gaskets repair in my car, it sat there for 2 weeks while a porting job was done. Even when I took the time to remove them from the block and kept them in motor oil, I had to replace them after 2 of them failed......had to redo part of the repair ($$$$)

About your last question in your last post..........man, the Pittsburgh Pirates will win the MLB championship this year....don't you think ?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel5.0
My apologies, I thought they were out......

Once I had to do a heads gaskets repair in my car, it sat there for 2 weeks while a porting job was done. Even when I took the time to remove them from the block and kept them in motor oil, I had to replace them after 2 of them failed......had to redo part of the repair ($$$$)

About your last question in your last post..........man, the Pittsburgh Pirates will win the MLB championship this year....don't you think ?
Im sorry if i came off as a dick to you, it honestly wasnt the intent

ive been having a rough week, my dad ran right into the side of my car, and he's trying not to fix it, and im really ready to just fight someone, ya know how it goes
Old 10-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ftell me about it......frustration and anger ?....been there....seen that....done that. Exactly my point. Have you ever had somebody bend and scratch one of your car's front fender 4 hours after getting it out of a complete paint job ? .... Welcome to the club.

About the lifters....another thing that works is manually loading them after a final soak in Lucas oil treatment right before installation...lol:thumbs2:
Old 10-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel5.0
Ftell me about it......frustration and anger ?....been there....seen that....done that. Exactly my point. Have you ever had somebody bend and scratch one of your car's front fender 4 hours after getting it out of a complete paint job ? .... Welcome to the club.

About the lifters....another thing that works is manually loading them after a final soak in Lucas oil treatment right before installation...lol:thumbs2:
The thing that has me screwed, my father and I are on the same insurance policy, i call in what happened, both of our rates go up.

I might try the lucas stuff, i just stuck the cam in the car tomorrow, need to bring it up to TDC and time it in
Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I know how that is, seriously my dad backed into my mustang one time, didn't hurt it too bad he said he would fix it and hindsight 20/20 my dad is a good guy and he's payed me back and then some.

look up man, tomorrow is a brighter day

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT