Anyone here ever had A/C Compressor problems? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Anyone here ever had A/C Compressor problems?

I think mine has seized up. The other morning my car was having a hard time trying to idle and kept dying on me. When I got home, I noticed a strange noise coming from under the hood, almost sounded like my fan rubbing something. When I popped the hood and checked it out, the pulley for the A/C compressor was seizing up, causing the belt to sort of slip and catch intermittently. Then I realized I had my defrost on, which also causes the A/C compressor to run. When I turn the defrost/air off it doesn't do this.

I take it this means the compressor itself is shot and not just the clutch. Has anyone else had similar problems and can confirm this suspicion? Also, has anyone had any luck with a compressor from a junkyard (go for $50 or so), or should I go ahead and spring for a brand new one (~ $275)?

BTW, I know I'll probably get recommendations of ditching the A/C entirely, but I may be selling the car soon and the lack of A/C will probably hurt the resale considerably. A lot of people think that Alabama summers with no A/C aren't very fun. :dunno:

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Anyone here ever had A/C Compressor problems?

It could be the bearing (which is replaceable) but chances are its internal..

Try turning the compressor by hand, if it fetches up badly, or doesn't move at all chances are you would need a compressor (it shouldn't spin freely, but it shouldn't have a rediculous amount of resistance)

Only problem is, if you replace the compressor you'd likely have to switch to r-134A refrigerant.. which requires flushing the system and replacing the accumulator/drier on top of replacing the compressor.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

if you switch to r134 that could also help the selling point though since its more common and cheaper then r12. my 90 has been switched to r134 already so I dont have to worry much about it...but the #4 cylinder might be dieing lol
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I've actually already switched to R134, but I'll still probably flush the system just in case. I was also planning on replacing the accumulator/drier too (really should be done any time you open the system up from what I've read).

I'm wondering if the switch to R134 may have been what caused the problem. A guy I know that's a Ford mechanic did it for me and I'm not sure if he flushed the system correctly or not. Of course, it's been over a year since it was done, but it still may have just taken a while for the effects to be obvious.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Youll know if your a/c compressor seizes up. It happened to me. Youll hear a wretched squeeling noise of your belt trying to pass over the pulley without it turning and youll see smoke from the belt frying because of the friction. My guess is its your clutch.

As far as a junkyard one... thats the route I went and it hasnt even been really cold on hot days (not like it should). Just recently the clutch pulley seemed to come loose from my compressor and was causing more friction. I havnt touched it yet, just routed my belt to bypass the a/c until summer comes along and I need it again lol.

Id get a new one.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Youll hear a wretched squeeling noise of your belt trying to pass over the pulley without it turning and youll see smoke from the belt frying because of the friction.
That's pretty much what it's doing. Apparently the compressor isn't 100% seized up yet though, because the pulley will turn for a second, then stop, turn a little bit more, and so on. It doesn't to do it for long enough to start smoking yet. I've just stopped running my defrost for the time being.

Scary stuff.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:10 AM   #7

Region: Florida

I had a clutch seize back in 86 on my 82 GT and it snapped the rivets from the pulley cleanoff. The kind of tension Some of my customers wish they had on their blower. On my personal 89 LX vert I recently started smelling a nasty radiator coolant smell once I turn the a/c on, so it looks as if my evap is going, and im not crazy bout that job. I just wish I had the time. Im not sure how my 85 Vert's a/c system is Im in the middle of an engine compartment detail job/ engine rebuild on that one but I'll soon find out.

good luck.
786-473-6879 est
partsforstangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #8

Region: Michigan

it happend to me on my 4 banger the pull just stopped turning. it was winter
FakeSaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma

Mine did that,so,I pulled it off along with the A/C bracket,installed an A/C delete kit ($20.00 on E-Bay),moved the steering pump up with it,got rid of the A/C lines and condensor,and no more problems.Of course,if you want your A/C,you can't do that.
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT