Tranny Fluid decided to boil over... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Exclamation Tranny Fluid decided to boil over...

Well it was hot today and everything was running pretty damn hot along with stop and go traffic for a good half an hour... so the light turns green and I slowly accelerate... and by now it should of gone into 2nd but it dosent... I let off and get back on and nothing... so I take the stick bring it to 1st since thats what its still in anyway.. and click it back up and it shifts... but a minute or 2 later that kind of stopped working... I had a hard time shifting into 2,3, and 4th... so I pulled off at the nearest gas station and sure enough... I pull out my tranny fluid dipstick and it has no thickness at all... almost like water... it actually started dripping... yeah but anyway everything is okay... I noticed after I got back on the road that it acted alot better because it cooled down... so I made it home and now im ready to change it tomorrow... one question though... how many quarts do I have to put in?

Thanks guys... ill let you know on the progress.

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Tranny Fluid decided to boil over...

If you're just draining the tranny reservoir, and not the torque converter, I think it's around 4 or 5 quarts. I just recently had my tranny machine flushed at the ford dealership for 125, it's worth the money to know it was all drained and flushed.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
If you're just draining the tranny reservoir, and not the torque converter, I think it's around 4 or 5 quarts. I just recently had my tranny machine flushed at the ford dealership for 125, it's worth the money to know it was all drained and flushed.
Agree'd. Have it done on the machine, it forces fresh fluid through the tranny, flushing out almost all of the old fluid. Its WELL worth it.

Put a good tranny cooler on it.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird232ci
Agree'd. Have it done on the machine, it forces fresh fluid through the tranny, flushing out almost all of the old fluid. Its WELL worth it.

Put a good tranny cooler on it.
I will concur, Have it professionally changed and have them do a chemical cleaning before the flush to get any varnish or sludge accumulation out that occures when you have over heat conditions
Old 02-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

for 125, i got a machine flush, oil change............and the midas touch maintainance package
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #6

Region: Texas

I think its a bad idea to change the fluid...i did the same on my 87 crown vic and no more than like three months after changin....it started slippin real bad. Having that old fluid and all gunk "holds it together" if you catch my drift. ATF has detergents in it and it will clean all that gunk thats holdin it together and will eventually start to slip. Even with a couple bottles of conditioner.
Any body agree?
fsst93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272

Well went to go get it changed for $125 but it wasnt even the fluid... it turns out my torque converter took a ****... so basically im selling my foxbody... it just has to many damn problems... and yes this is a final choice... im going to be getting an 05 V6 stang for sure... I just need something more reliable... im sad to see it go but I just cant keep up with the money demands for this car...

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 02-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsst93gt
I think its a bad idea to change the fluid...i did the same on my 87 crown vic and no more than like three months after changin....it started slippin real bad. Having that old fluid and all gunk "holds it together" if you catch my drift. ATF has detergents in it and it will clean all that gunk thats holdin it together and will eventually start to slip. Even with a couple bottles of conditioner.
Any body agree?
NO I dont. What you are saying is drive around with a gunked up on its last leg tranny that would have started slipping. I would rather flush and find out my tranny is going out instead of it going out on the interstate or out in the middle of nowhere and break down.

If you overheat a tranny you better change the fluid just like you would engine oil or rearend lube
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezplayer272
Well went to go get it changed for $125 but it wasnt even the fluid... it turns out my torque converter took a ****... so basically im selling my foxbody... it just has to many damn problems... and yes this is a final choice... im going to be getting an 05 V6 stang for sure... I just need something more reliable... im sad to see it go but I just cant keep up with the money demands for this car...
Hey! I know how you feel there! Good luck with selling it and getting you what you want man.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Hey! I know how you feel there! Good luck with selling it and getting you what you want man.
Haha, ya thanks man.. I guess my aunt isnt helping us out or I could get an 05 V6 so I got 8 grand to spend... which of what I found a pretty nice Silver 01 V6 im gonna go look at tomorrow... ill let you know how things go!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 02-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

how much?? I'm all over that car man

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT