Fuel pump and FPR - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
Fuel pump and FPR

Well, now that im working 2 jobs i got some money to play around with. Right now i just got done getting the 3.73's installed as well as my rims and springs. Now I am looking at the engine. Ive decided to buy the Trickflow package, and looking to go for 300 rwhp. What size and brand fuel pumps should i look into. I think 255 would be overkill so like 190lph? Im going to be running 24lb injectors, and a 76 MAF that comes with the C&L intake. Also is that MAF too small? or should I go with 80mm. After I get the HCI done, ill be adding some MSD stuff and a 70mm TB. Let me know what you think.
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Re: Fuel pump and FPR

76mm MAF will be fine... Id steer clear of C&L though, I hear about lots of problems with them. If you can find a used pro-m id go for that. For the fuel pump, get an svt focus pump... just caues it has the ability to pump a certain amount of fuel doesnt mean its going to always pump that much. Better to have room to work with rather then not getting enough fuel. 24# injectors will be fine, thats whats in the cobra and im getting plenty of fuel with close to 300 rwhp

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Tbird232ci

SVT focus pump wont work. 5.0's are return fuel systems, the focus is not.

There really is no downfall to running a larger pump. You cant go overkill. You wont need a 255 pump if youre staying NA, a 190 would be more than enough.
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana

Why not give yourself some room to grow.. I would definately get the 255, especially since there is $10 difference..
95 Crystal White Cobra #702 of 4007
Polished Vortech S-Trim @ 12psi
18X9 FR500s
MANY INTERIOR MODS...
Coming soon....Dart 427 with a T-76!!
Blwnbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blwnbyu View Post
Why not give yourself some room to grow.. I would definately get the 255, especially since there is $10 difference..
Yeah, I'd agree with that -- the regulator will just send back whatever you don't need. The C&L will work on an NA motor -- I might look elsewhere if it were going on a blown car. Even then, it can work properly, you may just have to play around with clocking the MAF unit. These guys make good meters:
PROFESSIONAL MASS AIR SYSTEMS

- Jeff
Jeff Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Go ahead and get the 255 lph pump. Like everyone else said, there is really no such thing as "too big" when it comes to fuel pumps. A 255 lph pump will just give you room to grow. For the AFPR, I'd recommend Kirban. They make a great unit.

Also, don't buy a C&L regardless of what kind of motor you have. They are junk. Try to find a used Pro-M. If you really, really, really want a C&L though... I have a 76mm calibrated for 30# injectors that I would probably trade for a bag of Doritos and a six pack of Miller Lite.

Finally, you may want to go ahead and buy the TB before you install everything else. It's not going to hurt anything, but the stock TB will be a pretty major restriction with the rest of the Trickflow package. A TB isn't that expensive (unless you go with Accufab, which I'd personally recommend...) so you are probably better off to do it all at once.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Also, don't buy a C&L regardless of what kind of motor you have. They are junk. Try to find a used Pro-M. If you really, really, really want a C&L though... I have a 76mm calibrated for 30# injectors that I would probably trade for a bag of Doritos and a six pack of Miller Lite.
C&L's aren't as bad as everyone here is saying. They'll work on a NA car without too much trouble. We won't mess with anything blown and equipped with a C&L meter.

If you're particularly looking for a used meter that's fine -- try and find a Pro-M. The guys in the link I listed above are the replacement meters for Pro-M...they're a bunch of guys who worked at Pro-M and basically took it over when Pro-M went out. Comparably sized meters from the two companies are about $100 difference (80mm difference is $150). PMAS, of course, being more expensive. Also, if you do find a Pro-M that's used and needs to be recalibrated to another injector size, they can do it.

I do agree that the Pro-M (PMAS) meters are better -- especially for highly modified setups (your planned setup I consider closer to highly modified) and especially for blown setups. They do, however, work fine on mild NA combos.

You may want to take bbunt302 up on his offer -- that's a great deal

- Jeff
Old 08-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Z View Post
C&L's aren't as bad as everyone here is saying. They'll work on a NA car without too much trouble.
Maybe it depends on the setup, but on my N/A 302 the C&L was a pile of crap. The car absolutely would not idle. I swapped it for a Pro-M and the car idled nearly perfectly, plus it felt like I picked up a good 10 hp across the board.

I would actually almost feel bad giving someone such a worthless hunk of aluminum for something as great as a bag of Doritos and a six-pack of Miller Lite.

Scary stuff.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I would actually almost feel bad giving someone such a worthless hunk of aluminum for something as great as a bag of Doritos and a six-pack of Miller Lite.

Quote:
Maybe it depends on the setup, but on my N/A 302 the C&L was a pile of crap. The car absolutely would not idle. I swapped it for a Pro-M and the car idled nearly perfectly, plus it felt like I picked up a good 10 hp across the board.
Yeah, people have had idle issues with it but if you clock the meter, you can generally get it to idle fine (I've never not been able to get them to idle right with adjustment). I do agree -- for more modified setups, especially blower or turbo, a PMAS meter is the way to go...It's a matter of what you can afford and how extensive the setup is.

- Jeff
Old 08-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

I tried the clocking thing as well. I even had an Indian medicine man perform a spiritual blessing on it in an attempt to exorcise any demons and/or gremlins. The C&L just laughed and continued to suck.

Scary stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT