Ive been inspired, Im gonna fab up my own S/C - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Ive been inspired, Im gonna fab up my own S/C

Today as Im browsing the svt forums, I come across a thread about a guy that put an m90 on his 302 and is making around 380 at the wheels with about 6.5lbs of boost. Im going to do this. I figure I want the extra power, but I dont want to get to the point that my block is getting stressed, and I dont want to spend 2-4k on a kit. A guy here in KC has a bunch of m90s so Ill buy one from him and start the fabrication process by getting measurements first, then go home on some weekends and use my dads foundry for the piping and welding that Ill need to do. The only thing I dont know about on this thing is what do I do about the throttle body and how am I going to get the cables to extend to it. Anyway, here's some pictures of this guys setup, I think itll be cool for a street car since im not really a track junky. What you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eatonm90.jpg
Views:	3079
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	12810   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine_coolant_tube.jpg
Views:	2703
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	12811  

Name:	engine-bay-no-rad2.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	12812  

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Ive been inspired, Im gonna fab up my own S/C

That is def different.... weird location to mount it

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Yeah... Good luck.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

So he is not running an intercooler? I had an m90 and wanted to do a swap to my 6 but decided against it. I do like the idea he has, it eliminates alot of piping being in the enginebay, looks clean imho.

Are you going to try and make the same setup he has there? If so see if he can get dimensions for you off his, eliminates any mistakes and wasted tubing plus it makes your job easier right?

Best of luck.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0

BBK made the same kit years ago.
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Yeah I saw they were making it... was it using the m90 or something else though?

I like toys
Old 04-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom

Wish ya the best on mounting all that.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:36 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

yeah, good luck man... post pics!

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

in the end you may have wished you spent 2-4k on the other kit, but you never know.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

from looking into it more, that guys car is far from a daily driver and he sees intake air temps of 230* on a day when its only 45* outside. Im gonna scrap the m90 idea and look into an m112, see what I can come up with there.

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

You need to look into merging an intercooler in there as well. My guess is that is why dude was seeing 230* on a 45* day. With that high of intake temps, I would think you are losing a good portion of the power. I don't think the 112 will make much difference other than maybe run hotter.

Might want to just get the kit and bolt a whipple up there and be done with it.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

The reason that m90 got so hot was because its being overspun. Matts95drag enlightened me to know that the eaton m90 shouldnt be used on anything over a 4.0L engine, because if you go higher than that, the thing has to spin so much faster to make the same kind of boost... thus getting extremely hot.

How is the intertooler mounted on the 03/04? Do you have an engine shot of your car where I can see it at all? Im thinking about having some aluminum CNC'ed to make an adapter plate from the eaton to the gt40 lower intake... I have basically unlimited resources for any type of aluminum work so Ill be good there. Ive just never seen the intercoolers on those cars before. The nice thing about an eaton supercharger is I can mount it upside down if I wanted to since itll still get all oiled up, so Im thinking ill put it sideways over above the drivers side valve cover, stick the intercooler on there, then make an adapter from the intercooler to the lower intake tube. This will allow me to go completely custom, and I would clear the distributor as well as not have to worry about extending the snout at all since I can mount the thing anywhere I want.

Oh yeah, if I do this... Im definitely going to need a new hood

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Well, I can't really show you a pic of it as it is burried. Basically, if you look at this pic, it sits directly under the eaton. It is between the eaton and the lower intake.

If you follow the black hose from the IC resevoir to the engine, that is where the IC is.

(Pics may load a little slow as they are big)

Close up of hose:
http://68.11.180.192:159/Pictures/20...a/IMG_0011.JPG

Full Engine:
http://68.11.180.192:159/Pictures/20...a/IMG_0008.JPG
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Cool, you want to do me a huge favor and go measure from the back of that adapter piece between your blower and TB all the way to the very front of the pulley on the snout? An also if you can, from the bottom of the blower to the bottom of the pulley? I want to go see how high id have to sit the blower to clear the distributor.

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Cool, you want to do me a huge favor and go measure from the back of that adapter piece between your blower and TB all the way to the very front of the pulley on the snout? An also if you can, from the bottom of the blower to the bottom of the pulley? I want to go see how high id have to sit the blower to clear the distributor.
I will get those measurements when I get home. See if I can get some more direct pics as well if possible.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #16
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Ok, I just went out and did some measuring on my car... real rough stuff, but This is what I need.

To clear the distributor, the snout will need a 4" rise from the lower intake... this is defnitely do-able considering Ill have an intercooler in there as well as the adapter piece that Ill need to fab up.

My intake is roughly 15" long measuring from the backside of it (towards firewall) to frontside.

Heres what I feel my biggest problem will be: Theres a gap of about 10" from the front of my lower intake to the area where all the pulleys are. I could do a snout extension, and it looks like thats what will have to happen.

Also, I have an EGR delete on mine so Ill need to know what to plug up on the m112. Do you think Ill need the dual IAT sensor deal like the 03/04s use? I cant see that working very well with my setup, so im gonna assume I dont. Also was wondering how that fluid thats in the intercooler stays cool. Is that where the heat exchanger comes into play?

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #17
Regular

If you start with the project for sure I will sticky the thread

Reddit
Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Alright, heres what Im thinking...

Heres the GT40 intake that I need to get the m112 to adapt to:

It really shouldnt be too hard. What Ill do is take a rectangular piece of aluminum, and put the gasket that goes between an upper and lower on there, then take it to the cnc machine and go to drill the runner holes as well as holes for the bolts to keep it on there. Then Ill make a box type adapter that will also angle forwards to take up that extra area that the snout is too short for. Ill fab up an inlet tube so I can use my throttle body and maf, and everything will probably be close to the same position, so I dont think throttle cables will be too big of a deal. I gotta figure out what to do about the vac. lines, but besides that... there isnt much else Ill need to do besides measuring it up all correctly to mount there. The 4" rise Ill need will easily be taken care of with the box type adapter piece, so Ill need to figure out what to do about the whole 8 rib pulley thing... might have to do something with the crank pulley. Ill probably want new injectors, fuel pump, and ill go with a cobra MAF so its all calibrated right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66_1.JPG
Views:	1085
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	12822  

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you can get a box to replace your battery and stick the water intercooler there and just relocate your battery to the trunk.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #20
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you can get a box to replace your battery and stick the water intercooler there and just relocate your battery to the trunk.
I was planning on that too. I need to find a picture of these intercoolers so I know what Im working with.

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

just keep it simple and refine as you go (dont half a** it but dont go around the world either). Search svt perf.com they have had images up of this in the past, ive seen some.. i dont save pictures at work and that where i always read intersting stuff at
Old 04-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

You guys think I need an intercooler if I go with the 112? I wont be running anything more than the stock 8lbs that it comes with... how much does it really heat up?

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #23
Regular

I would go with an intercooler... I would not risk going through all that and getting it on... cranking it up... and seeing the engine tempatures skyrocket.

Reddit
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to whipster24 Send a message via Yahoo to whipster24

put the IC in there now while you are fabricating it. even at 8 psi you will see a significant temperature increase without the IC.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
-Adolf Hitler, 1935
whipster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

From my import experience i would leave the the trottlebody where it is at, and use a high quality blow off valve so you don't have to extend cables. PWR makes a interesting barrel intercooler which should fit inline. I have seen these used before and they work rather well. Here is the link.
PWR Performance Products
99 Atlantic Blue V6- SOHC 4.6 swap, Tremec 3650, 8.8 rear end/ Flowtech Ceramic LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Spintech side exit exhaust. K&N drop in filter, removed snorkel, 18x10, 18x9, Anthracite Bullitt Replicas 295-35's, 265-35's. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, M&M Camber Plates
wrecked2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you really really really should run an intercooler. I would get a box as stated above and move the battery.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:55 PM   #27
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
you really really really should run an intercooler. I would get a box as stated above and move the battery.
a box what?

I have no problem running the intercooler, its a matter of finding one and knowing how to set it up.

and wrecked, whats the BOV have to do with extending cables out of curiousity? I hadnt even considered a BOV... do they 03/04 cobras even have one?

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #28
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
You guys think I need an intercooler if I go with the 112? I wont be running anything more than the stock 8lbs that it comes with... how much does it really heat up?
Yes, you will want an IC. Without one, you will see intake temps of over 200* easily even on stock boost. With an IC, you will see intake temps of 140s. The 200+ temps will lead to nothing but loss of power and potentional detonation issues not to mention higher operating temps which can lead to nothing but problems down the road.

I think the box Spec is talking about is the IC Resevoir (the white plastic thing with yellow liquid in the pics I sent you). They would probably be the easiest way to house the IC fluid so you don't have to fab a way to attach it like the 03/04s do.

You might want to post out on SVTP too if you haven't already...I think there might be a kit to just bolt everything in on the 5.0's...
Old 04-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

Quote:
a box what?

I have no problem running the intercooler, its a matter of finding one and knowing how to set it up.

and wrecked, whats the BOV have to do with extending cables out of curiousity? I hadnt even considered a BOV... do they 03/04 cobras even have one?
The throttle body on the cobra's are at the inlet to the supercharger, so no need for BOV because no compressor surge will occur because there is no boost pressure at the throttle plate. If you put a supercharger upwind from throttle plate you will need a BOV to prevent compressor surge. This is the setup that centrifugal SC systems uses. If you are pursuing the setup in the thumbnails you could put the throttle body in either location (before of after throttlebody), if you leave it in the stock location you wouldnt have to extend anything including the throttle cable, but you would need a BOV. That was all i was saying.
99 Atlantic Blue V6- SOHC 4.6 swap, Tremec 3650, 8.8 rear end/ Flowtech Ceramic LT headers, off-road x-pipe, Spintech side exit exhaust. K&N drop in filter, removed snorkel, 18x10, 18x9, Anthracite Bullitt Replicas 295-35's, 265-35's. Eibach Pro-Kit springs, M&M Camber Plates
wrecked2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #30
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up.

I like toys
Old 04-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #31
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom

Hmm...why not go all motor? I mean you got the famous 5.0 in there!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:52 PM   #32
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

cause in KC i feel left out without a blower lol

I like toys
Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #33
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

Haha, Zim mods his car to be cool and fit in!

:idiot:
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #34
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

who doesnt wanna get blown anyway?

I like toys
Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

just admit it you want a modular motor.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT