about to order gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Justin Send a message via Yahoo to Justin
about to order gears

Im about to order some 4.10 gears for my 5.0...about how much does it cost to put then in...also how much does it cost to get heads installed....i have a friend who is gonna give me some heads tomorrow
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0
Re: about to order gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by EboniteStr1ker
Im about to order some 4.10 gears for my 5.0...about how much does it cost to put then in...also how much does it cost to get heads installed....i have a friend who is gonna give me some heads tomorrow
Gear installs will normally run $200-300 bucks.Installing heads will vary.I wouldn't spend more than $400.
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Gears... I'd let someone who knows what they are doing put those in. If you don't get the shims right, you're rear end could end up going in all different directions...
Do the heads yourself.... Its a pushrod... Isn't that bad..
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

i woudl get them installed by someone myself i did and they did a awesome job no whining. They charged me 150 labor which i gladly paid. I member callign the local driveshaft place that did alot of those installs and they were gonna charge 515 but that was including price of gears and they were gonna rebuild the trac lock and new seals and everything which really was not bad but i had already bought gear but could not go that route. All i gotta say is with 4.10's get ready to replace tires more frequently lol.
http://www.mustangevolution.com/gallery/data/502/1.jpg1995 GT- GT40 iron heads, 1.72 cobra roller rockers, FMS shorty headers, flows welded in, bbk o/r h, bbk UDP, steeda tri ax, timing advanced to 13, CAI, 75mm granatelli MAF, Eddy performer intake, 17x9 chrome cobra r's, mach 1 chin spoiler
for pics of my car go here-->car pics
Yellow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

go OEM ford/ford racing gears, dont go richmond
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

^^I've heard that alot. Why so?
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Actual cost for installing gears depends on where you go and where you live. In LA you should be able to get it done under $300 People in the NE or Cali seem to have a hard time finding someone under $500. I had it done in Greenville for $250 and when I changed Tloc's again I did it myself.

If you have good mech skills ytou can do the heads yourself or get a friend or to to come help you with it. The heads will cost around 400 and up at most shops.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

so u did the tlok yourself so what about the gears..could i do them myself with a haynes manual?
Soon to come - UDPs, Off Road X-Pipe, A/T Cooler, and 03' Cobra Rims
Club - Tha Crew Leader of Muscle Car Division
Old 05-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

no, there are special tools, and a lot of experience that goes into gears... you have to actually know what you're doing.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner
no, there are special tools, and a lot of experience that goes into gears... you have to actually know what you're doing.
I will agree with Jimmy 100% on this. Yes it can be done, no I would not suggest a person without seasoned mechanic skills try this. You need precision tooling like dial indicators to measure 1/1000 of an inch. Tolerances are close and any mis measurement can cause excessive whine and premature failure. If you can find someone with these skill and let you help this would be a good time to learn.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

sweet, Corey agrees with me, without correction or modification of post.... it's gonna be a good day tator.

also, here's a link to the gears, seem like a decent price to me.

Ford Mustang 3.73 Gears at Mustang Tuning.com - Free Shipping!</title><meta name="keywords" content="Ford Racing Gears - FRPP 3.73 Gears"><meta name="description" content="Buy Ford Racing 3.73 gears for your Mustang. These 3.73 FRPP Mustang gears from Ford Racing will greatly improve your stock rear end."><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mustang parts, Mustang exhaust, mustang accessoriess, mustang performance parts, mustang tail lights, mustang spoilers, Steeda, Saleen">

<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
_uacct = "UA-288117-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>
<script language='javascript' src='http://www.linkconnector.com/member/JS/traffic_link_client.php?mid=2613'></script>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- Begin
function popUpMoreInfo(URL) {
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=520,height=620');");
}
// End -->
</script>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mustangtuning.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /><script language="javascript">
function CaricaFoto(img, name, imgname, wid, hi){
foto1= new Image();
foto1.src=(img);
foto2= new Image();
foto2.src=(imgname);
viewFotos(img, name, imgname, wid, hi);
}

function viewFotos(img, name, imgname, wid, hi){

features =
"toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no," +
"scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=" + wid + ",height=" + hi;
dlg = window.open ("","Details",features);
dlg.document.write("<html><head><ti");
dlg.document.write("tle>" + name + " Zoom

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

this is a full gear kit, complete with 3.73's, x-cal2, and 3 bottles of gear lube:
Ford Racing Gears and Tuners at MustangTuning.com - Free Shipping!</title><meta name="keywords" content="X-Calibrator 2 and 3.73 Gear Kit"><meta name="description" content="&lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;font size=5&gt;BUY THE KIT AND SAVE OVER $65!&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

Do you want the ultimate power package for your Mustang? Well look no further, because it has arrived. Mustang Tuning introduces the kit that will launch you into quarter mile times that you have never dreamed of possible; designed to give the best possible performance upgrade for your car, without having to empty your wallet.

Based on an idea from a MustangTuning.com forum user, this kit contains the SCT X-Calibrator 2 Tuner, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, and 3 quarts of Royal Purple 75w90 Synthetic Gear Oil. Your car will wake up with the power that it was supposed to come with from the factory with this simple, yet powerful kit.

As with all of our tuners, we will need some information from you in order to get your tuner ready to go so that you can get out and play with the big boys. When ordering this kit, don’t forget to include your computer code (located inside of the passenger side kick panel of the car) and all modifications that you have done to your car so that we can provide you with the most accurate and hair raising tune possible.

Want extra tunes? No problem! All you need to do is select from the drop down menu below what tunes you want to have added to your programmer! Just dont forget to tell us what you want on your tunes.&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;
&lt;FONT SIZE=&quot;4&quot; COLOR=&quot;#FF0000&quot;&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;I&gt;Kit Includes the Free USB PC Interface Cable!&lt;/I&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;
&lt;i&gt;This gear kit is for the Ford 8.8&quot; Rear End.&lt;/i&gt;"><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mustang parts, Mustang exhaust, mustang accessoriess, mustang performance parts, mustang tail lights, mustang spoilers, Steeda, Saleen">

</script>
_uacct = "UA-288117-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>
<script language='javascript' src='http://www.linkconnector.com/member/JS/traffic_link_client.php?mid=2613'></script>

<!-- Begin
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=520,height=620');");
}
// End -->
</script>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mustangtuning.com/images/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /><script language="javascript">
foto1= new Image();
foto1.src=(img);
foto2= new Image();
foto2.src=(imgname);
}

features =

Old 05-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

which should i go with...i was thinkin since i have auto i should go with 4.10
Old 05-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Just get the lube at autozone... dont get anything expensive put in the rear end to start off with since your going to be establishing the wear pattern on the gears, and youll have to change that fluid after 500 miles anyway. DO NOT FORGET TO CHANGE THE REAR DIFF FLUID!!! There WILL be metal shavings in there after they are installed, and youll want to put a good synthetic in there after the wear pattern has been established.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EboniteStr1ker
which should i go with...i was thinkin since i have auto i should go with 4.10
yes, 4.10's for the auto.. I'll get a link for that up here soon... and yes, listen to Zim, go easy on it after you get it installed... and make sure to get her flushed out. I've always heard amazing things of Royal Purple.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

just gears:
Ford Mustang 4.10 Gears at Mustang Tuning.com - Free Shipping!</title><meta name="keywords" content="Ford FRPP 4.10 Gears"><meta name="description" content="These Ford gears for your Mustang are a strong forged construction for Road or Race use. Includes basic accessories, such as shim kit."><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mustang parts, Mustang exhaust, mustang accessoriess, mustang performance parts, mustang tail lights, mustang spoilers, Steeda, Saleen">

</script>
_uacct = "UA-288117-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>

<!-- Begin
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
}
// End -->
</script>
foto1= new Image();
foto1.src=(img);
foto2= new Image();
foto2.src=(imgname);
}

features =

here's the rear lube:
Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 Gear Oil</title><meta name="keywords" content="Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 Gear Oil"><meta name="description" content="Max-Gear® is an ultra-tough, high performance, GL-5 automotive gear oil designed to provide maximum protection to heavily loaded gears while maximizing power output throughout the drive train. It outperforms other GL-5 gear oils because it combines the highest quality synthetic oils with Royal Purple's proprietary Synslide® additive technology.
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;
Max-Gear® makes gears run smoother, quieter, cooler and longer without overhauls.
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;b&gt;Note:&lt;/b&gt; All viscosities of Max-Gear® are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.&lt;/i&gt;
&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;
&lt;u&gt;&lt;b&gt;Royal Purple's Performance Advantages:&lt;/u&gt;&lt;/b&gt;
&lt;ul&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Greater Wear Protection&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Severe Service Performance&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Lower Coefficient of Friction&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;High Temperature Performance&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Low Temperature Fluidity&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Shock Load Protection&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Prevents Corrosion&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Excellent Water Separation&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Compatible with Other Oils&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Meets Warranty Requirements&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;li&gt;Environmentally Responsible&lt;/li&gt;
&lt;/ul&gt;"><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mustang parts, Mustang exhaust, mustang accessoriess, mustang performance parts, mustang tail lights, mustang spoilers, Steeda, Saleen">

</script>
_uacct = "UA-288117-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>

<!-- Begin
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
}
// End -->
</script>
foto1= new Image();
foto1.src=(img);
foto2= new Image();
foto2.src=(imgname);
}

features =

gear kit:
Ford Racing Gears and Tuners at MustangTuning.com - Free Shipping!</title><meta name="keywords" content="X-Calibrator 2 and 4.10 Gear Kit"><meta name="description" content="&lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;font size=5&gt;BUY THE KIT AND SAVE OVER $65!&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

Do you want the ultimate power package for your Mustang? Well look no further, because it has arrived. Mustang Tuning introduces the kit that will launch you into quarter mile times that you have never dreamed of possible; designed to give the best possible performance upgrade for your car, without having to empty your wallet.

Based on an idea from a MustangTuning.com forum user, this kit contains the SCT X-Calibrator 2 Tuner, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, and 3 quarts of Royal Purple 75w90 Synthetic Gear Oil. You will shout like He-Man once this kit is finished, saying, &quot;I HAVE THE POWER!&quot;

As with all of our tuners, we will need some information from you in order to get your tuner ready to go so that you can get out and play with the big boys. When ordering this kit, don’t forget to include your computer code (located inside of the passenger side kick panel of the car) and all modifications that you have done to your car so that we can provide you with the most accurate and hair raising tune possible.

Want extra tunes? No problem! All you need to do is select from the drop down menu below what tunes you want to have added to your programmer! Just dont forget to tell us what you want on your tunes.&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&lt;BR&gt;
&lt;FONT SIZE=&quot;4&quot; COLOR=&quot;#FF0000&quot;&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;I&gt;Kit Includes the Free USB PC Interface Cable!&lt;/I&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;
&lt;i&gt;This gear kit is for the Ford 8.8&quot; Rear End.&lt;/i&gt;"><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mustang parts, Mustang exhaust, mustang accessoriess, mustang performance parts, mustang tail lights, mustang spoilers, Steeda, Saleen">

</script>
_uacct = "UA-288117-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>

<!-- Begin
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
}
// End -->
</script>
foto1= new Image();
foto1.src=(img);
foto2= new Image();
foto2.src=(imgname);
}

features =

or
Ford Racing Gears and the Dallas Mustang Speedcal at MustangTuning.com - Free Shipping!</title><meta name="keywords" content="Speed Cal and 4.10 Gears Kit"><meta name="description" content="&lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;font size=5&gt;BUY THE KIT AND SAVE OVER $35!&lt;/b&gt;&lt;/i&gt;&lt;/font&gt;

Wanting to change your rear-end gear ratio but worried about your speedometer being accurate? Don't wish to spend tons of money on a tuner? Well then this kit was designed with you in mind! Multiply your gear ratio without breaking the bank.

Designed by a Mustang Tuning forum user, this kit provides you with nothing but the best of the best in products; the Dallas Mustang Speedcal, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, and 3 Royal Purple 75w90 synthetic gear oils. Everything that you need for your rear end upgrade is provided for you, all you need to do is add the mechanic and a lead foot.

&lt;i&gt;Note: The Dallas Mustang Speedcal will only work with 1994-2004 manual transmissions and 1994-1998 automatic transmissions. This gear kit is for the Ford 8.8&quot; Rear End.&lt;/i&gt; "><META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mustang parts, Mustang exhaust, mustang accessoriess, mustang performance parts, mustang tail lights, mustang spoilers, Steeda, Saleen">

</script>
_uacct = "UA-288117-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>

<!-- Begin
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
}
// End -->
</script>
foto1= new Image();
foto1.src=(img);
foto2= new Image();
foto2.src=(imgname);
}

features =

you could probably have the place that puts the gears in put in some 'crappy' rear lube, and save the royal purple for when you get it flushed.

Old 05-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #17
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

^^ whats with posting the entire web page?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

I didn't post "the entire thing"... I just copied what was in the address bar, and hit paste, and that's what popped up... so I tried to hit the "URL" thing in the edit thing, and it did the same thing.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ordering gears tonight....4.10 from MustangTuning.com
Old 05-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

what brand?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

expect like 3mph loss lol
Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

ya mean mpg? and that can be compensated for with taller tires...running a 28" tires with 4:10s would be like running 3:73s
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

what do yall think about the motive 4.10s?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

i decided not to order gears right now... gonna wait and save money and order the kit that you have posted...thanks for all yalls inputs...really makes a diffrence in the decisions we make...atleast mine... but my g/f is gonna order me somthing for my bday (may 14th) for $100....what do u guys suggest i order?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

ford racing is what i would go with
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

my shop will install/check/guaruntee gear installs (unless the part you supply itself fails..) for $300..
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan
my shop will install/check/guaruntee gear installs (unless the part you supply itself fails..) for $300..
God I wish I were in New Jersey.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT