Getting the 351HO! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #1
KFP

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to KFP
Getting the 351HO!

k:

Saturday a kid I know is going to buy all my paintball gear and stuff for $180. Which is going to allow me to buy a 351HO assuming the junk yard still has it which I 99% sure they do. Oh yes, massive power and a 4 bolt main, doesn't get any sweeter then that!! I'll post pictures far down the road. I'm going to take it to my tech center so I can strip it down fully and put it in the soak tank to clean it. Then to start the blue printing and checking of the block. If anyone wants any of the parts except for the oil pump and the oil pan let me know. I'm really not interested in anything else that will be coming out of it because I plan on doing a full build. Specially the heads, I want to go aluminum to shave a hundred or so lbs.
KFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
Re: Getting the 351HO!

what year 351, the later blocks are 2bolt...and stock for stock they are about the same as the 302's if not less really (depends on year)
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
KFP

80's

It's coming out of an econoline. I took the vin and check it with our books and the engine comes out to be a 351HO. Did some reasearch on that and years and it was the block that ended up replacing the boss engines. 4 bolt mains

Now uhm...It should be a 4 bolt main for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Actually whether it is a 2 bolt main or a 4 bolt main is not that big of an issue. I know plenty of people with 2 bolt main engine producing very high HP numbers. When I was building racing engines professionally Most circle track cars running 500 hp were using 2 bolt main engines. In my years I have just not seen many engines break at the crank. Most engines let go at the rods, valvetrain or blown heads
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
KFP

4 bolt main is a plus, I would like to make it blown and I don't feel comfortable doing that to a 2 bolt.

It's from a 1988 Econoline, My guess the block is from atleast 1987. So uh?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
4 bolt main is a plus, I would like to make it blown and I don't feel comfortable doing that to a 2 bolt.

It's from a 1988 Econoline, My guess the block is from atleast 1987. So uh?

It is still not a problem. I understand everyone puts a 4 bolt on there list to get but I am here to tell you 2 bolts are very strong and I have not seen a street car crank ever break loose in my 25+ years building engines only ones I have seen go are non street mega hp cars.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
KFP

I would like to get "mega" HP eventually. I want to make this almost a life long process you know? I'm hoping to get around 400HP at first and then I'm going to look into forced induction. I've been trying to find more for sure if it's 4 bolt or not but so far no good.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
I would like to get "mega" HP eventually. I want to make this almost a life long process you know? I'm hoping to get around 400HP at first and then I'm going to look into forced induction. I've been trying to find more for sure if it's 4 bolt or not but so far no good.
When I say mega I mean over 800HP!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

People have been making serious power on 2-bolt main Windsors for years now. Really if you get to the point of worrying about losing a crank on a 2-bolt main 351W, you probably should have went with an aftermarket block anyway. It's all a matter of how much power you're planning on going for though.

If you want to get pretty extreme with it... you may wanna check out the SVO Sportsman 351 if they're still making them. I believe they were a fully assembled shortblock for around $1800. I think they came with hypereutectic pistons, but other than that they are quite nice. Should easily support 800 hp, probably more with a set of forged pistons.

If that's not enough, you could always check out the World Products or the Dart blocks. If a Dart block won't support the power you're looking to make... then I really don't know what to say.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
KFP

Alright, she's a 2 bolter. Uhm, I guess she still works and all for what I want. I'm doing a complete rebuild, like I said I just want the block and everything else is going to be brand new and I'm hoping to get 350-400HP out of her; think that is realistic just out of the engine? Eventually I plan on doing a super charger or turbo. Probably go with super because I want to get a 850T for a sleeper and I'll get my turbo needs out of her.

So once the engine is done and running in her I guess I'm hopinh that a blower doesn't add to much?

So far my I kind of made a list for my parts of...

- Edlebrock Victor jr intake(air gap-dual plane)
- Edlebrock Aluminum heads(60cc chambers)
- Comp cam valve train

That's it so far...I'm going with those heads 'cause I want to shave some weight off. I'll eventually get racing seats on the driver/passenger side to try and shave another 100 lbs. Remove the A/C unit and some other unneeded stuff.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0

I am making close to 600 horsepower at the crank with a 302.I am sure the 351 will hold up to more than that.
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you cant get 350 at the wheels out of a 351... something is seriously wrong...

My little 302 is probably making right around 300.

Are you gonna go with a carb or fuel injection? Also, what kind of car is the motor going in?

Scary stuff.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

punch it out
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
KFP

Carb for sure! Carb is best in my opinion...

I would love to put it in a fox body. 1987-1993 I hear they weigh under 3000.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you get a coupe with a little weight reduction you can make it under 3000 pretty easily. A hatchback is about 100 lbs heavier and will require a little more stripping down.

If you do go with a 87-93 though, you may wanna consider keeping the fuel injection since they already have it. Sure, you won't be able to really tune it yourself, but once you have it professionally tuned... it'll get much better gas mileage than a carb car. Plus, and this is really the main thing, you won't have to worry about adjusting your tune for different weather conditions. The computer will take care of all that for you.

Of course, there's always the argument of which makes more power... you can probably squeeze just a little more out of the carb car. It's just a matter of whether or not it's worth it.

Scary stuff.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
Alright, she's a 2 bolter.
Figured, I believe the only 4bolts were the 351C's, Unless the early windsors were 4bolt dont know. I know I had a 351W roller block 93-94+ that was a 2bolt.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane-
Figured, I believe the only 4bolts were the 351C's, Unless the early windsors were 4bolt dont know. I know I had a 351W roller block 93-94+ that was a 2bolt.
After some research... you're right. No factory 351 Windsor came with 4-bolt mains, although many of the Clevelands did. However, a common mod on the 69-71 351W is to have them machined for 4-bolt caps. You can actually do this for the 72-74 as well, but it isn't recommended due to block strength.

Also from what I have read, a factory 351W block is capable of around 6-700hp at the flywheel reliably. Anything after that, you probably want to look into an aftermarket block.

Scary stuff.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea, they are beefier then the 302s. your not going to break their crank an stuff.

Another good thing about the early 351's were that the heads flow just about the same as the GT40s
Old 05-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #19
KFP

I found a page that says early 70's when the HO replaced the boss block they came with a 4 bolt main. That's why I assumed my block would be a 4 bolt main. It's stupid to give a block 4 barrel carb and call it High output without giving it a 4 bolt main in my opinion but Ford isn't always the smartest. I'm going carb simply because I believe it is more power and it tends to be the same tune all around. No ECU or anything to deal with and this car would only be driven in sunny warm weather. I want to get a 850T for all other needs.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
I found a page that says early 70's when the HO replaced the boss block they came with a 4 bolt main. That's why I assumed my block would be a 4 bolt main. It's stupid to give a block 4 barrel carb and call it High output without giving it a 4 bolt main in my opinion but Ford isn't always the smartest. I'm going carb simply because I believe it is more power and it tends to be the same tune all around. No ECU or anything to deal with and this car would only be driven in sunny warm weather. I want to get a 850T for all other needs.
They are refering to the Cleveland block.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
Again you seem to be stuck on this 4 Bolt main stuff. High Output has nothing to do with it being a 4 bolt or a 2 bolt. Do you even know what they are referring to when they say 4 bolt main???? This whole debate about 2 bolt or 4 bolt has been going on for 40 years. Todays superior metallurgy gives us much more capabilities to produce stronger lighter engines with closer tolerances than years gone past. Hell in the 70's a factory V8 was done by 70,000 miles. The seals were leaking and the rings would be worn and the car would smoke something bad.

What is vastly more important is the Rods, pistons, bearings, valvetrain and actual hardware that will be used.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Who needs 4 bolt mains...................

I don't.I have yet to put one of them ghey *** main cap girdle's on too.........
Old 05-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
KFP

Yes I know what a 4 bolt main is and I know a HO is a 4 barrel carb. And no I'm not stuck on 4 bolt mains I was just sharing where I came up with my reason for assuming it was a 4 bolt. I'm not dumb, I work on cars everyday, read and think about them and carry on conversations about them. Right now I'm working on getting my truck into a higher resale value. I just cut the exhaust off and I'm putting on a 3" straight pipe with everything gutted but the first cat. I'm going from a 2 and 1/4 to a 3". Replacing the rear shackles and hangers, fixed the headlight assembly, fixing the tailgate latch and thinking about attempting the rear main seal. The only real difference between me and everyone else on here is I have no knowledge of fords from years of devotion or a mustang yet. I've only been dealing with cars for less then a year.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
Yes I know what a 4 bolt main is and I know a HO is a 4 barrel carb. And no I'm not stuck on 4 bolt mains I was just sharing where I came up with my reason for assuming it was a 4 bolt. I'm not dumb, I work on cars everyday, read and think about them and carry on conversations about them. Right now I'm working on getting my truck into a higher resale value. I just cut the exhaust off and I'm putting on a 3" straight pipe with everything gutted but the first cat. I'm going from a 2 and 1/4 to a 3". Replacing the rear shackles and hangers, fixed the headlight assembly, fixing the tailgate latch and thinking about attempting the rear main seal. The only real difference between me and everyone else on here is I have no knowledge of fords from years of devotion or a mustang yet. I've only been dealing with cars for less then a year.
I did not ask the question to belittle you. I did not know what your knowledge is. People come to the forums all the time not know anything but quote stuff they read and what people have told them. I try to give people good solid realistic advice. It some point in time everyone is new and I try to offer assistance when I can. Over the years I have done quite a bit and made mistakes along the way. I hope I can prevent people from make the same mistakes. I have been building engines for racing boats, race cars and motorcycles as well as jet engines for 25 years.

Good luck on you project though
Old 05-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If you keep the revs at 6000 or below then a 351w will live with alot of horsepower.The trouble with spinning them above 6000 is the fact they have 3 inch mains.That's alot of surface area so they end up spinning the main bearings.Most of everyone running the 351 FRPP block run it with the smaller Cleveland sized mains.I don't think anyone was trying to belittle you as Danger Dude said.We are just telling you a 4 bolt main is not necessary for what you plan to do.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #26
KFP

Thank you, I got that...two bolt mains good. Thanks
Old 05-06-2006, 11:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP
Thank you, I got that...two bolt mains good. Thanks
Good for you...........
Old 05-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

lol

anyways beside that argument, the best block to find is going to be a 68-69 like Bbunt said, the HO 351's were highly over-rated compared to the 302 (but this is only hearsay!) however coming from the same sources so long as you get plenty of fresh extra oil ports and such to that block you'll be just fine.

keep in mind that you will end up finding alot of extra expenses from going 351 in a fox body, but IMO its going to be alot cheaper than going 347 stroker.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

oilpan, headers, accesory brackets, and a hood are basically are the expenses on putting a 351 into a fox, but you wouldnt you put in a stock run of the mill 351W...
Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #30

Region: Florida

As far as I know the main difference between the HO and standard 351w was the 4 bbl. I would not worry about 4 bolt mains or and HO. Just find a good deal on any block because you are going to change everything else anyway.
I just put a 351W in a 80 hatch that was a 2.3 4cyl. It turned out to be a great swap. The best thing to do is find a junk car with a 351w and get everything out of it for the swap. I used everything from a 78 full sized ford. This will be much easier and cheaper in the long run.
I just rebuilt the engine, added a cam, headers, intake, and 650 holley. I'm not completely finished yet but it does run very well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT