heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Region: California
Posts: 8
heads

Dart Pro 1 Vs. Trick Flow Twisted Wedge

I got a 93 mustang gt
93stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: heads

I'd say the Trick Flows. They're probably the best head in their price range for a 5.0. Of course, I'd really recommend you save a little extra for the AFR 165s...
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
Of course, I'd really recommend you save a little extra for the AFR 165s...
+1

Based on the write up in 5.0 a few months ago about the AFR heads on a 5.0....get a few extra bucks and get those...I don't remember if the 185s were that much better than the 165s....but either way, that would be the better route.
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
12second5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 138
Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0
Re: heads

AFR's are a good head no doubt.The only thing is you need to upgrade the springs I believe so you are out $1400 to 1500 on a set of heads vs. Trick flow or Edelbrock's which are great out of the box and within 10 horsepower on a stock bolt on 302.They are usually around $1100........
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: heads

Not "technically" a poweradder... moving to the 5.0 forum.

Id do TF if you're looking for out of the box. AFR's are real nice, but as mentioned, youll need new springs.
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: heads

The new springs aren't a total necessity depending on the cam you are planning on running though. Sure, they are a nice and upgrade and definitely recommended for anything beyond a mild cam. But I'm running a Comp Xtreme Energy 270HR cam in mine with the original AFR springs with no problem. Like I said though, it's a quite mild cam (only has .512" lift) and I don't take the car up to 6k RPMs everywhere I go.

However, whenever I end up buying a coupe to put that motor in, it's gonna get new springs and a custom cam from FTI.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: heads

My ported GT40s with the e303 cam are rockin trickflow valve springs

If I ever buy new heads, itll be afr 165's and ill just swap these springs over.
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Danger Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: heads

OK I am going to throw my 25 years of engine building experience around and disagree with my fine friends here. Never do a engine build of any type when including a cam change and use stock springs or valvetrain hardware. 90% of all modded engines break do to overlooking the valvetrain. So the little more you will spend on new springs and hardware is valuable insurance. Cause of a spring breaks and the keeper comes off you will lose at the very least a Piston and a head but you could destroy the block in the process.

On of the reasons is spring steel is subjected to high temp and cool down as well as a constant lift in a stock engine. Steel tempers to the lift and the heat. When you change the lift and the heat characteristics of a engine you change the spring movement and temp it works in. This change to the lift can actually cause what would appear to be a spring in good shape to break. You have to remember one valve travels up and down 1,008,000
in a 6 hour period at 2800 rpms at roughly 75mph on the highway which means that spring is compressed and contracted 1,008,000 time in that 6 hours now think about what they is in a years time
__________________
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
OK I am going to throw my 25 years of engine building experience around and disagree with my fine friends here. Never do a engine build of any type when including a cam change and use stock springs or valvetrain hardware. 90% of all modded engines break do to overlooking the valvetrain. So the little more you will spend on new springs and hardware is valuable insurance. Cause of a spring breaks and the keeper comes off you will lose at the very least a Piston and a head but you could destroy the block in the process.

On of the reasons is spring steel is subjected to high temp and cool down as well as a constant lift in a stock engine. Steel tempers to the lift and the heat. When you change the lift and the heat characteristics of a engine you change the spring movement and temp it works in. This change to the lift can actually cause what would appear to be a spring in good shape to break. You have to remember one valve travels up and down 1,008,000
in a 6 hour period at 2800 rpms at roughly 75mph on the highway which means that spring is compressed and contracted 1,008,000 time in that 6 hours now think about what they is in a years time
They weren't stock springs. They were the "stock springs" that come with the AFR 165 heads. Everyone recommends to go ahead and upgrade them to an even better spring, but they are a large improvement over the factory Ford springs.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Danger Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
They weren't stock springs. They were the "stock springs" that come with the AFR 165 heads. Everyone recommends to go ahead and upgrade them to an even better spring, but they are a large improvement over the factory Ford springs.
What I am trying to point out is even if you have performance heads and springs on a car for a few years and you decide to get a more agressive cam with a different lift you need to really consider new springs and keepers.
__________________
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: heads

Definitely. When I do take the motor out of the car, the heads are gonna be completely re-worked. I may even go ahead and bore out to a 306 and do a complete bottom end rebuild while I'm at it, but I haven't decided yet...

Also, here's a little description of the springs that came with the AFR heads: "1.450" OD Hydraulic Dual Valve Spring w/ dampener, 120 lbs on seat, .550" maximum lift". I'm well under the maximum recommended lift and shift just before 6,000 RPM, which is probably why I haven't had any problems from them. Their website recommends an upgrade if you are gonna be seeing higher than 6k RPM due to valve float.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 27
Re: heads

Go w/ afr's! they're a little more $ but def. woth it!
snake99bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
My ported GT40s with the e303 cam are rockin trickflow valve springs

If I ever buy new heads, itll be afr 165's and ill just swap these springs over.

ditto 'cept on cam.. and my ported GT heads.. (just stamped GT lol.. 93 cobra heads..) with 1.7 RRs and trickflow springs are supporting high 11 second runs on a mere 331 bottom end
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heads 05+ 4.0L V6 2007STANG Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 1 07-22-2009 01:02 AM
PI heads jk7208 1996-2004 Mustang GT 3 07-07-2009 08:04 PM
heads johnnyc 1996-2004 Mustang GT 1 06-08-2009 07:29 PM
need help with heads johnnyc 1996-2004 Mustang GT 2 06-08-2009 02:15 AM
FS: BV Heads, 173's,Cam, and Stock Heads petrey10 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 4 06-27-2006 12:15 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:33 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.