Mustang Won't Start Please Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Mustang Won't Start Please Help

Alright, i have an 86' GT with the 5.0 (manual) in it, i am having a problem with it starting. It is an all original car with about 210k miles on it, the only thing it has done to it is a k&n air filter and a sound system that is hard wired into the factory stereo wiring harness. Now i was driving to work a few days ago and i make it to the road that my job is on and all of the sudden i have no throttle response, the radio was still playing and the lights never dimmed so i assumed i had just stalled the car so i pushed in the clutch and tried starting it while i was still driving but it didn't start so i just coasted into the parking lot. I turned off the radio and tried again to start it, no luck. So i went to work and when i got off my uncle came to help me trouble shoot, we pulled the spark plugs and did a spark test and it was strong (the spark plugs are old but they were not oil covered and it isn't running rich or lean) so we checked to see if the fuel pump was turning on, which it was. So we decided to see if the engine would even turn, we sprayed ether into the engine and cranked it and this is where it gets weird, it didn't turn over at all, no pops anything the engine never got off the starter, so that is where the quick test ended. Now we are going to tear into the engine but before we do we wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on what might be going wrong or any ideas where to start. This is my daily commuting car so if the admins can keep this near the top for help that would be great. I love this car and the community that comes along with it long live the stang and hopefully mine will live again soon. Thanks Again
brad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: Mustang Won't Start Please Help

Hey Brad - how much ether did you guys shoot into the engine?

What makes you think you need to tear into the engine?

If the engine seized up while driving, you wouldn't have been able to coast/engine brake while in gear (IE when you had no throttle response, engine was still spinning relative to the wheels, if engine were seized car would have been a lot less happy)

When trying to crank it, the engine didn't spin at all? just CLICK then nothing? (I'm assuming it was spinning free earlier, 'else you couldn't do a spark plug/ignition check..)

Are all the spark plugs dry? You may have spark but.. Is it the correct spark - pull the distributor cap off and check to see if the rotor is still in place (I've seen the tab break off several times, and the rotor just free spins... it'll fire off like it has spark but not consistent enough to fire the engine)

You may have the fuel pump come on, but does the fuel rail have pressure?

Couldn't hurt to check the connection to the battery at power/ground
Old 04-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

If the engine seized up while driving, you wouldn't have been able to coast/engine brake while in gear (IE when you had no throttle response, engine was still spinning relative to the wheels, if engine were seized car would have been a lot less happy)

When trying to crank it, the engine didn't spin at all? just CLICK then nothing? (I'm assuming it was spinning free earlier, 'else you couldn't do a spark plug/ignition check..)

Are all the spark plugs dry? You may have spark but.. Is it the correct spark - pull the distributor cap off and check to see if the rotor is still in place (I've seen the tab break off several times, and the rotor just free spins... it'll fire off like it has spark but not consistent enough to fire the engine)

The rotor is still there it is worn but not broken off, this we will prob replace regardless, but the engine spins freely its just when we sprayed like half a can of ether into the throttle body, the engine never got off the starter motor, i also have no idea how to get into the fuel rails as they are pressurized, is there any trick on getting them off/ apart etc...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

^Monte knows what he's talkin about.

Have you tested the battery and inspected the wires and terminals ?
Before tearing into the engine, the battery (cables,etc) starter and alternator would my number 1 check since they are relatively easy to test. And it never hurts to ck those things. In my arrogant opinion, I wouldn't run that crud through the car. Also try the fuel pump it never hurts to ck it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
The rotor is still there it is worn but not broken off, this we will prob replace regardless, but the engine spins freely its just when we sprayed like half a can of ether into the throttle body, the engine never got off the starter motor, i also have no idea how to get into the fuel rails as they are pressurized, is there any trick on getting them off/ apart etc...?
There is a spot on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure.
Get a gauge and hook it to this schrader valve and check the fuel pressure with the key on. It might be something between the pump and the injectors.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Have you tested the battery and inspected the wires and terminals ?
Before tearing into the engine, the battery (cables,etc) starter and alternator would my number 1 check since they are relatively easy to test. And it never hurts to ck those things. In my arrogant opinion, I wouldn't run that crud through the car. Also try the fuel pump it never hurts to ck it.
We recently replaced the positive battery cable to the starter relay (last year), but i will def check all the grounds and positive connections, but how far should i check from the battery to the starter or do you think it could be farther down the line? and what crud would you not put in there i assume you're talking bout ether, desperate times call for desperate measures lol, but i will def try to keep the ether usage down to a minimum
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12 View Post
We recently replaced the positive battery cable to the starter relay (last year), but i will def check all the grounds and positive connections, but how far should i check from the battery to the starter or do you think it could be farther down the line? and what crud would you not put in there i assume you're talking bout ether, desperate times call for desperate measures lol, but i will def try to keep the ether usage down to a minimum
The factory ground cable to the block isn't far down the line at all, the positive cable from the relay, goes right to the starter, not too hard to trace but not the easiest access

As for fuel pressure, shield your eyes and stab at the shrader valve with a screw driver, if fuel squirts out you have pressure.. once it stops squirting out, have someone turn the key on while pressing the valve down.. again shielding your eyes

If no, or just a little, fuel squirts out - you have no pressure, pump running or not.. (I take no responsibility for your actions if you go up in flames, it's just what I'd do, there can be pressure in the lines but not enough to run the car)

Car needs 3 main things to run - Air, Fuel, Spark..

Could also be a crank position sensor..
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #8

hey montecitan i appreciate all the help, it turned out that the timing chain had jumped, which really helped with repair cost knowing the problem and helped to keep me from being screwed over by the shop, i would have done it myself but i don't have time (packing up to go to Air Force Basic) thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT