Shuts off and a few questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:29 PM   #1

Region: Delaware
Shuts off and a few questions

Just put a edelbrock performance intake on my car with a 70mm spacer and throtle body and a cold air intake and a edlebrock lower intake and when i got it all back together i never hooked up the map sensor and the car ran for a while and blew a lot of smoke because of the extra gas burning well the other day i hooked up the map sensor and wow car smoothed out instantly and ran really good no smoke or anything but after about 40 seconds it just shut off and then i waited a while and started it again and it did the same thing...... any ideas?

i did a bunch of upgrades and i dont got a idea of how much horsepower and i was wondering if you all could tell me?

i got msd ignition coil and distributor and a edelbrock upper and lower intake with a 70mm spacer and a bbk 70mm throtle body and long tube headers with offroad hpipe and magnaflow mufflers the motors a 5.0 ho and its in a 1987 t top lx all together with all the new parts i got bout 600$ into the car lol big time steal on all the parts and the car lol
abrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #2

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to skeaheytexas
Re: Shuts off and a few questions

i would recomend doing a mass air conversion as soon as possible. with this many air flow conversions the speed density is probably freaking out. i would also recomend getting an A9L computer for the conversion if you can locate one, this unit has possibly the best tune ford ever put in a factory computer. 50resto.com should have the kit. this will also make future upgrades much easier for the car to accept and compensate for.

hope this helps
skeaheytexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:15 PM   #3

with the mass air and your mods on a 100k mile motor your looking at aprox. 255 to 275 rwhp as a guess. you should probably put plugs in the car too, after running it rich for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #4

Region: Delaware

when i hooked the map sensor up i went out and got new plugs and i changed oil with synthetic. I dont got a mass air metter the car is a 1987 mustang t tops lx with gt body kit on its and 5.0
abrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

For a comparison, my car dyno'd 278/308 with the mods in my sig.

As for your starting problem, not really sure. Did you try unhooking that map sensor again to see if it might work like that? Does it crank and just not fire?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #6

i sent two replies to your questions and i quoted the mass air conversion on the answer on hp because without it the car probably will not perform well if you can get it to stay running. but anyway it sounds like you are well on your way just got to work out a few bugs.

later
Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #7

I'd agree with the MAF conversion -- you probably are beyond the adjustability of the speed density setup. Try to reset the computer and see if that helps (disconnect the battery cable for 15-20 minutes). If you didn't disconnect the battery when you were installing the new parts (you should, always), that could effect the performance and idle quality.

- Jeff
Jeff Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cool Re: Shuts off and a few questions

I think I saw a MAF upgrade in summit that comes with the computer in tow dont remember the price but you may want to check out there web site or catalog.
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

if you only did upper/lower intake, bbk intake, and the throttle body thats not a super huge gain in flow since it still has to go through the stock heads and cam...Im willing to bet something else is not buttoned up all the way like some vacuum lines,etc. Those couple things wont flip the speed density system out. The biggest factor for speed density is the cam mainly, and there are alot out there that work with it also.

I would double check EVERYTHING you unhooked sometimes it looks like it will be hooked up but wont be (I just went through this myself)
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I'd say probably around 220 at the wheels in horsepower. That may be a little generous though... that's about 30-40 rwhp over what they put down stock. The main thing holding you back is the stock heads. They are truck heads and perform as such.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Id say around 200 at the wheels.... you may have even lost power putting that large of an intake on without any other mods.

my car with h/c/i only put down 225 but that was with about a quart of oil passing the rings by on the run... still if you do the conversions that comes to 270 hp at the motor, I think I could have made 300 brake after a tune (if the block was up to snuff that is)

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT