Someone Help Me!!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Exclamation Someone Help Me!!!!!

ok.i have one hell of a brain scratcher here.i recently did a tune up on my mustang.that includes plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter and airfilter.now i started to have a problem where it takes about 6 or more seconds till it started and it also started to loose performance.recently it got so bad that it back fires and if you try to hold the gas pedal even more then a hair in it will just bog. i changed the map because someone told me it could be that.i also has the fuel pressure looked at and the vaccum.the fuel pressure was only 20 and the regulator vac was steady 15.the regulator itself is fine.i pulled vaccum and it held it at 25 psi. i also had set the timing at 10 BTDC where it is supposed to be. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
1988fordproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-
Re: Someone Help Me!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988fordproblem View Post
ok.i have one hell of a brain scratcher here.i recently did a tune up on my mustang.that includes plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter and airfilter.now i started to have a problem where it takes about 6 or more seconds till it started and it also started to loose performance.recently it got so bad that it back fires and if you try to hold the gas pedal even more then a hair in it will just bog. i changed the map because someone told me it could be that.i also has the fuel pressure looked at and the vaccum.the fuel pressure was only 20 and the regulator vac was steady 15.the regulator itself is fine.i pulled vaccum and it held it at 25 psi. i also had set the timing at 10 BTDC where it is supposed to be. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
thats one problem right there, should be around 37-41psi, id also go over the vacuum lines just incase.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cool Re: Someone Help Me!!!!!

Sounds like low fuel pressure for shure and when you set the timing did you pull the spout connector if not the computer was pushing it up as you moved it down and now it cant push it any higher the 10 before top dead center. You did set it at 10 btdc it wasn't 10 after top dead center was it atc and btc I think is how its marked on the balencer. just double check the timing thing again to make shure. Hope this helps
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

A similar thing happened to me one time and it turned out that one of my spark plug wires had a tear in it and it was arcing on my block. I got lucky figuring it out, I opened up the hood a night by chance and saw the spark. Also, I would double check and make sure you didn't hook up the wires wrong.

1997 Cobra Convertible 1 of 3 made with Crystal White paint, white top, and Saddle cloth interior.

Rollinthundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 PM   #5

Region: New Jersey

It was BTDC i set it at 12 and its still ****ty
1988fordproblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cool Re: Someone Help Me!!!!!

well you still have the low fuel pressure thing to get up to spec it could be the regulator or the pump until you get your pressure up I dont think your injectors will be giving you a good spray of fuel. There is some test you can look for in the Haynes repair manual that may help localize the problem. best of luck.

ps. After reading your post over again you said you pulled a vacuum on the regulator and it held steady at 25 inchs of vacuum that may only that the diaphram in the regulator isnt busted but if the seat on the fuel side is damaged it could still be letting fuel go back to the fuel take and not building pressure. check out the hanes repair manual for its trouble shooting of the system it will help.
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Check to make sure none of the plug wires are resting on the headers... I had that problem after changed the wires, one of them was resting on my header and melted it, after that it was just grounding out to the block. Check it out just to make sure. Also, did you replace your coil pack when you did all this?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT