93 POWER LOSS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #1

93 POWER LOSS

My mom has a 93 LX with the 5.0 5spd. The car is all stock except for k&n air filter and new mufflers. I dont drive the car all that often other than when i tune it up or need to work on it for her. I recently went to drive it and i realized it had NO POWER. I could not believe this. I put a new fuel filter, cap, rotor, plugs, pcv valve on the car. Still the same, you nail it and for a sec it wants to go and then it just falls on its face. I also tried a map sensor as a suggestion from another person. It may have helped ever so slightly but it still doesnt run right. I found a vaccume hose that was leaking and it was missing real bad . I replaced it and it took care of nearly all the rough running. The car has nearly 100,000 miles on it and has never been abused. The only thing i have noticed is when i am running it hard after i get out i smell this burnt smell that i cant relate to anything. Sorry for the long post folks. I just need to get this thing going again. The power loss is unbelievable. It wont even break the tires loose like it used to. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please post. Thanks again, Peace!!
jcori3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to 12second5.0
Re: 93 POWER LOSS

Could be a fuel pump starting to go out.......Alot of things could cause your issue......
12second5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

spinning clutch?

100k is bout that time
plus without some type of gears.. all the fox's are dogs

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Coil pack? Dizzy still good?

Maybe fuel pressure reg, or plugs/wires again.. The RPM's dont skyrocket do they? If they fly up with no power to the wheels and a burning smell, thats def. the clutch...

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #5

the rpm's go up slow, not the clutch. i had new tires and the front end aligned and the guys at the shop said it sounds like to them that it might be the cats starting to clog up. I think that might be it, due to that smell i am smelling, something burnt. They did a back pressure check and said it looked ok but might be the beginning of them getting clogged. This car has 4 of them on there and they quoted me 405.00 parts and labor to replace all of them. What are my other options if it turnes out the cats are clogged? I do have emmissions here and they put the paper in the tail pipe also. Sure is a lot of money to spend on cats. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks folks.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 AM   #6

Region: Maryland

You can get a nice high flow H-pipe with cats alot cheaper than that,plus get some more power,and still pass the emmissions.Check out some BBK H-pipes with high flow cats.It realy sounds like the clutch is your main issue.
1quickgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:16 PM   #7

well i am still leaning on the cats being clogged up. I know it has a lot of miles on it but its also my moms car and she doesnt beat on it whatsoever. I have had a car that had a slipping clutch and the rpm's dont shoot up, in fact they climb real slow. Its like i am pulling something behind me, just no power at all. It wont even break the tires loose. I have looked underneath the car and it has 4 cats on it. What are my options on a aftermarket emissions leagl set up? It has new mufflers on it already.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #8

There are 2 different H-pipes,legal and non legal,it sounds like you want a legal one, they come with 2 high flow converters built in to the pipe,and it replaces the factory one.They range from about 300-450 bucks. It takes place of the factory pipe but,if you dont have a lift your better off taking it somewhere,but be sure not to get ripped off because its only a total of 8 bolts,and its pretty easy to do. You will get some more horsepower too.I think BBK is the best buy for the buck.
1quickgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcori3 View Post
What are my options on a aftermarket emissions leagl set up? It has new mufflers on it already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quickgt View Post
Check out some BBK H-pipes with high flow cats.
A high flow H or X pipe would be emissions legal and an excellent option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #10

ok i guess i am still confused. All these i see on the web have only 2 cats in them and the car has 4 all together. This is for my mom's car so i need it to stay stock and a direct fit.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
ok i guess i am still confused. All these i see on the web have only 2 cats in them and the car has 4 all together. This is for my mom's car so i need it to stay stock and a direct fit.
Yes, aftermarket h and x pipes usually only have 2 cats. However, as long as they say they are 50 state legal, it doesn't matter. They should all be a direct fit as well.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

if clutch is slipping engine will outrev the clutch, so yeah RPMs would shoot up faster. and you'd get an 'odd burning smell' too
Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #13

so if i buy a aftermarket system that has two cats, it will directly fit to the other two cats that are still on there? What if those are the ones that are clogged?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

No, you will take off the four old cats. There is something called a "mid pipe" that goes from the headers back to the mufflers. This "mid pipe" is what you will be replacing. The cats are a part of this pipe.

Here's a pic of what you need:

Scary stuff.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #15

So if i understand you right i will unhook the first two cats by the motor and toss them, and this will hook right up to the STOCK hedders and hook up to the mufflers, so all i will have to do is bolt this unit right in. Also will this allow me to pass the sniffer test here where i live, since there will just be two cats. I noticed the 4 oxygen sensor bungs so everything will plug right in. Also will i have to have any codes deleted or tuned out like my ls1? Sorry for not being very smart here, like i said this is my mom's car so i have to make it emission's friendly. But i cant see putting 4 new cats on there and spending a fortune if not necessary. Also should i put a h pipe setup back on there or go with a x-pipe setup that hooks up the same way? I really do appreciate all the help and advice guys.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
So if i understand you right i will unhook the first two cats by the motor and toss them, and this will hook right up to the STOCK hedders and hook up to the mufflers, so all i will have to do is bolt this unit right in. Also will this allow me to pass the sniffer test here where i live, since there will just be two cats. I noticed the 4 oxygen sensor bungs so everything will plug right in. Also will i have to have any codes deleted or tuned out like my ls1? Sorry for not being very smart here, like i said this is my mom's car so i have to make it emission's friendly. But i cant see putting 4 new cats on there and spending a fortune if not necessary. Also should i put a h pipe setup back on there or go with a x-pipe setup that hooks up the same way? I really do appreciate all the help and advice guys.
Yup, this will bolt right back in place. You unclamp the stock h-pipe (with the 4 cats), toss it in the nearest trash receptacle, and bolt this one in its place. You won't have to worry about anything as far as the computer is concerned. On the 5.0s, you don't even have to worry about that with an offroad (i.e. no cats) pipe.

The x-pipe vs. h-pipe thing is more of a matter of opinion than anything. They have a sort of different sound. Judging by what you want it for, I'd just get an h-pipe though.

Scary stuff.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

thats fine and dandy but from what your describing I really don't believe that clogged cats are your problem.

if the car is falling on its face than you have a problem elsewhere
one of three things.
fuel, spark, or sensor related id almost bet on sensor because it sounds like the computer is pulling to much timing due to a faulty sensor readout

a vacume leak wont suddenly develope at a certain RPM, but im glad that you found and repared a leak cause that will definetly kill power, not to meantion make it hard to stop the car.

i'd replace your TPS sensor and clean the MAF for starters

by the way any wierd noises? black smoke from the pipes?

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Bane-

foxes only have 2 02 bungs, that pic was just an example of what it looks like. you can take off the cats and not get any codes, so you will be fine. just bolt in and go.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« New intake | 94 GT »