800+whp Bronco to Mustang questions new project - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #1

Region: Texas
800+whp Bronco to Mustang questions new project

I have a 95 full size Bronco with a 5.0 in it, long story short i stroked it and did many other mods and got it to 812 whp, i've always wondered what it would have been like to have put the motor in a mustang. i'm starting school and have finally decided to pick up a stang and try it. i remember from when i did the bronco though that there were a million and 1 things that i swore i would do diffrently if i had only known... it's been 2 years though... so i would like some help remember what they were, the first issue is what block, the B is a 347 stroker, it was a pain buying a block and still having to beef up the bottom end, i would like to have gone with a 5.8l but i don't know if i could get a 5.8l with mass air on a stock stang? i had to convert the bronco... so ideally i would like to stroke a 5.8L with mass air, and what block has the best bottom end(girdle and larger bolts not needed eh?) what year of mustang would give me a good base? the ultimate goal is a extremely solid blown motor with around 700-900whp. there is a motor here ( Blueprint Engines.com: Custom Crate Motors - Stroker Engines - Stroker Motors ) that seems pretty good but i don't know if it'll be able to handle a charger, it's also flat tappet hydralic instead of roller which is hard on higher rpms and really testy... not a fan of the pistons in the kit either Hypereutectic? why not pay a lil extra? would the bottom end of a stock 351 hold 800hp with a girdle? maybe i could just machine the block that'll come with the mustag i buy?

--- Addl info, i don't want to get into to many details but the motor on the bronco cost over $60,000 with misc parts, most of it was in modifying mustang parts into a bronco, and not having the best idea of what i was doing at the start. not getting into random parts it is a... 347 sleeved stroker, all forged parts, 11.0 compression with 14lbs boost from a intercooled supercharger, it barely runs on 93 gas but with a propane piggy system it raises the octane and works just fine... all the accessories are top of the line, custom computer systems, tranny, 70mm dual throttle body, blah blah blah... win a cookie if you guess the ET of the 7,300lb beast... also it's for sale for 80,000 if anyone is intrested...
jeffhart_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: 800+whp Bronco to Mustang questions new project

if you spent 60,000 on a full out race motor already i'd hope to hell you'd know how to build a new one and what parts to do it with.

too bad there is no BS emoticon

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
too bad there is no BS emoticon
you're wrong!!

Code:
:bs:
:bs:

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #4

i can build it, but i'm not an expert on all things mustang. why go through all the money and trial and error to find out that a stroked windsor 351 won't handle 800 hp without boring larger bolts on the bottom end,sleeving it, and having to throw a girdle on, which i'll have to mod the heck out of to fit with my oil pan? i just need some tips, not a newbies guide to motors. if i'm about to do something stupid why not ask first? i'll see about uploading some pics and dyno sheets of the bronco, if anyone likes going to monster truck shows you might be able to see it, it'll be touring with dragon slayer and michief.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

well hey welcome to the site... unfortunately I cant help you with your project but it sounds cool!

I like toys
Old 09-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

If you know about Ford V8s, you know about Ford V8s. It doesn't matter if you are putting it in a Bronco, a Mustang, a Pinto, or a friggin' boat.

That said... The 351s will handle more power on the stock block than a 302 just because they are a little beefier. However, at 800+ whp, a stock 351 block will not be reliable. You're gonna want to look at an aftermarket block. Probably either a Dart or the 351R. They are expensive, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the 60gs you spend on your last motor.

BTW, I'm interested in knowing more about that 347. What kind of block did you run in it? How did you set up the dual throttle body? What kind of intake did you use for the dual TB set-up? What type of heads did you use?

And most importantly, what kind of tranny did you use to put 800 hp down at the wheels in a 7300 lb vehicle???

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Bane-

:bs: I dont see a 347 with 14lbs pushing 800whp, which would entail atleast 950-1000 hp at the crank. Any stock windsor block will break with that much HP, thats another reason for the :bs: since the 302 block would of split by now since you didnt mention a aftermarket block for it, and that still dont seem right. I dont know how you could blow 60k on parts for it since the parts are so god damned cheap.

Girdles wont do **** for strength, they just keep it on 1 piece when it splits instead of falling apart into 2 pieces.
'89 Gt Hatchback H/C/I, 1.6 rockers, 75mm maf, 24lb, 70mm tb, cai, udp, full exhaust, msd ignition, 373s, Eibach Springs, Lakewood 50/50 rears, Adj Rear Control arms, A/C Delete, Smog Delete, EGR Delete,
Bane- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #8

i had the block sleeved so it wouldn't crack, you know like they do with honda engines? put some forged tubes in? why the girdle and the larger bolts? to keep the crank from blowing out the bottom. i had over 400 whp before i charged it, i had a custon built racing tranny put in so i don't lose 'as much'(still a ton) hp as the typical setup and with all the porting and yada yada money can buy its not that big of a stretch. with the sleeves i was told i could get a lil more hp but i would need to run a ton of propane or use racing fuel. rather than make me 'prove' myself could i get a lil help? what aftermarket block would be best?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Dart blocks They're not cheap by any means, but theyre really nice.

I like toys
Old 09-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #10

Perfect, i'm working on getting one now, compared to how much it was getting the other block sleeved this is perfect. what is a good price for a dart block? the cheapest i've found is 1900 for a 351/9.5 deck. well i'll be sure to post some pics when i get the block. i'm looking at a few good vicims on ebay to stick it in what would be a good year for it?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Depends, are you looking for a fox or an sn95? In the fox, a 79-93 will work... on an sn95 itll be easiest to drop that into a 94-95.

I like toys
Old 09-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
BTW, I'm interested in knowing more about that 347. What kind of block did you run in it? How did you set up the dual throttle body? What kind of intake did you use for the dual TB set-up? What type of heads did you use?

And most importantly, what kind of tranny did you use to put 800 hp down at the wheels in a 7300 lb vehicle???
sad as it may seem, i'm not exactly sure what block it was, but i had to to a whole crap load to it, for the dual thottle body it's a ford truck thing, i believe i used one that goes on the ford lightenings? edlebrock heads, eagle rotating assembly, half the expense was in modifying things because i was putting car parts in a truck, just a ton of lil diffrences, a bolt here, a hose from the wrong place there, linkages, the electronics was a joy... the tranny is a dream though, my uncle owns mischief and dragon slayer(how i managed to get any of the motor together is thanks to him) so he had the guy that custom builds the trannys on his trucks do mine, he unconditionally guaranteed it, it's supposed to be able to handle around 2000hp. i had nothing to do with the tranny though(he started going off about what he was doing to it and it went right over my head) i did lump it in with the cost of the motor, somewhere around 10000 i think. i'll flesh this out with more details when i can dig out the paperwork.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

:cloud:

thats what i have to say about this.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #14

well, big day!! i ebay'd a dart 351 block for $1300! i think i'm going with an eagle rotating assem...
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

If it was me I would go with the 89 to 93 fox and you got an pics of the Bronco out on the web?Dart is the only way to go they can support up to 2k hp and go wit the eagle as well are you going to do a turbo or super charger and if so are you doing to use spray?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #16

Region: Indiana

ah, the bs runs thick in this thread

1990 Mustang GT
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

still havent seen a thread for a photo and I cant grasp why it would cost 60k for only 800.60K is for serious race engines going around 3k hp in dragsters
Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #18

60k engine
2k vehicle

why are you asking 80k for it?
usually you get back less than half of what you put into a car.
even if this was true which i doubt, i wouldnt give you more than 25k for it.
Rampid is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT