1988 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Question 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd.

1988 Mustang GT hatchback with 5 spd. transmission, all options except T-top and was ordered. It had 3.08 rear end but Ford put in 3.55 rear end for some reason or by mistake I was told.

The car is in factory condition and in great condition inside and out and has been replaced with all OEM replacement parts. Not customized.

It has (according to list) Edelbrock water pump, Mr. Gasket thermostat and gasket, crane timing chain, 3 row radiator, police clutch fan with silicone hoses. 130 amp alternator with upgraded wiring system new headlights and foglights.

There is Redline synthetic fluid in the power steering, rear end diff. and in 5 spd. transmission, and There are 2-chamber Flowmaster mufflers that made car noisey.

Engine has 225,000+ miles on it and still runs good. Never replaced or had need to rebuild original engine. Air cond. blows real cold air.

Car belongs to my brother who is away and has me start it up once a week and drive it around.

So as an objective observer here is what I think of car:

Dislikes:
Ride is too bumpy and bounces me all over the place. You feel every pebble on the road. It hurts to drive this car especially if there are lots of bumps and the back end will hop if bump is real bad. If you have a stomach ache or have to use the restroom, do not ride in this car-You will want to get a Cadillac instead

I can't change the radio stations with a steady hand because it so stiff riding. The suspension is factory stock no racing shocks or suspension. All 6 shocks I was told were replaced with the softest riding shocks available.
I hate to see what this car is like with race type upgraded suspension.
It has a cassette player no CD player

The brakes suck as they were changed along with brake fluid and it still feels like car isn't going to stop. I was told that there are upgraded brake kits but my brother has chosen to keep everything factory on this car.

The car is very DEADLYto drive when road gets wet or slippery.
The car slips and slides easy.
The car has had lots of idle problems but mechanic fixed it.
Power locks and windows go out often but have been fixed again as usual.
Original Ford factory parts are no longer produced for this car so it is near next to impossible to get them and if you can get them from speciality Mustang store they are expensive.

When my brother crashed ( I knew the brakes werent' the best he needs brakes upgraded) it, he put in all replacement parts and original ford parts he had lots of problems finding factory OEM parts and when he did find them they cost alot.

You cannot tell the difference now as it looks brand new and not like a 22 year old car. No custom parts were put on to keep the factory car look.

I have never seen a 22 year old car in this kind of condition inside and out that still runs so good even though it's kinda crude.

It sticks to the road like glue and goes real fast through the turns as I was taken on a scary test drive in it and shown what it is capable of
The 5spd. transmission is fun to drive. The noise of the car gets everyones attention if you like that kind of thing as there 2 chamber are flowmaster mufflers on it but on long trips on freeway it's too noisy.

I'ts a great little size car easy to maneuver better than the new Mustangs that are alot bigger.

Lots of room in car when you drop backseats as you can put in long items and stuff that wouldn't fit in a normal car.

The vanity mirrors light up on this car which is unusual as most of these cars don't have this feature.

I'm told it is an easy car to tune up because it doesn't have lots of computers like todays cars and the engine isn't covered up-easy access.
It's a simple car but if there is a problem you can send this to almost any mechanic to fix it.

My brother has a mechanic if there are any problems while I have it.
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Talking 1988 Mustang GT

Even though this car is in pristine condition but with 224,000 miles on it, with original engine and tranmission will it ever be worth alot of money?
Is there a point the value on these cars will go up as they have already bottomed out. Interior and exterior on this car is in excellent conditon.

Also add the fact that when looking for a comparable car to this throughout the United States via Mustang Trader or newspaper there are very few for sale and very few seen on road. This would make it appear that alot of these cars are gone and have become rare. Foxes have a following too and people always ask us if we want to sell it.

The only ones we see for sale and we don't even see this model up for sale much are the junkers from $1,500 to $3,500.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: 1988 Mustang GT

Is this post a question, a statement, or a sale add?

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd.

Again, what is the meaning of this post?

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yes I'm slightly confused...you joined in 08 and have a good amount of posts...if this is a classified ad you can post in the classifieds...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
A.K.A. Baby-D!

i think its just FYI??
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Re: 1988 Mustang GT 5.0 5spd.

i picked up my Fox for 4500.. a lot of it depends on the buyer as too how much you can get for it. it being in good condition is great, but the mileage def. hits hard. although, if you find someone that wants a nice drag car, the engine would pretty much get rebuilt anyway with the work he/she would do to it. that's how my 88 is. has a good amount of miles, but the engine was pretty much rebuilt within the modding stages.

my biggest disappointment in getting my 88 is that the new "real" 5.0s are out and the old 5.0s have lost so much more value, IMO.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Thinkng back I don't think on of this persons post ever made any sense.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
They make sense, just have to look at it from a non-car person's perspective

To your points on noise/etc : Modded foxes weren't built to be smooth or quiet!

To your question: It would take a LOT for a fox to be worth a lot, esp one with 225k miles - but if he's planning to keep it a long time it shouldn't be an issue, he's gotta build it his way, and drive it his way
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down Re: 1988 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
:asshat::asshat:
Old 06-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedez L. View Post
:asshat::asshat:
Woohoo, the smiley replies are back
Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
Woohoo, the smiley replies are back
Please see this thread http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t198203/
tsk... tsk...

As for the OP, I think she is just trying to plan out the future of the car. Writing notes to the forum for feed back instead of on a napkin at the local hole in the wall bar :pnoid:

If you keep it in good shape and in good running condition and decide to sell it I'm sure someone will want it. It also depends on how much the buyer thinks the car is worth. For example, I want an Isetta but how much do I want to spend for one is another topic.

BTW, no offense but the post as tl;dr so I probably didn't catch some details and points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
1988 mustang