I Got the B&M pro ripper installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Cool I Got the B&M pro ripper installed

The install was easy to do on the B&M pro ripper shifter It comes with two sets of spings that center the shifter for that 2nd to 3rd shift it has the lighter set installed already so I have started with them but already I'm thinking of going to the heavier springs Though I thought I would leave it as is for a while till I get use to it I think im trying to push it instead of letting it guide itself over. If I dont think about it I will push it to far over and still have to let it fall back to third " to use to driving the stock shifter I guess" If I dont try so hard it will line up and all but shift itself into third. it will also take a while to get use to the short throw instead long throw I had on the stock shifter and the feel of power and vibration that coming through the shift handle since there is no rubber bushings between the shifter handle and the shifter. The only thing I really dont understand is how to adjust the shift stops I put it in third and adjusted the stop to just touch the shaft and the same with 4th gear "it clinks with each shift". then I read about another shifter someone said to back off the stops by .010" B&M didn't give any instructions on that part of it only to adjust stops I called there tech hotline only to stay on hold till I got thinking of the cost of the call and hung up. does anyone really know how they are suppose to be adjusted.
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: I Got the B&M pro ripper installed

You put the shifter in 3rd. Adjust the stops to where they touch the shifter. Back them off about 1.5 turns. How much you back them off depends on how hard you shift on a regular basis. I personally don't shift that hard (it's kinda unnecessary) so I back them off about 2 turns.

Do the same process in 4th and you're done.

You definitely don't want to leave them adjusted right up agains the handle though.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cool Re: I Got the B&M pro ripper installed

I didnt think so but this is my first shifter change and I wasn't sure. I don't want to hurt the shift forks but that clink sound or feel is enough to drive me nuts. though I do shift hard when Im kicking it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: I Got the B&M pro ripper installed

I like dthe B&M it is by far shorter than any other shifter ive ever used. It just seemed to not be springy enough for me (personal preference)

I would be VERY careful adjusting those bump stops generally you dont need them and if you are shifting hard enough to need them then you own a pro track car or you are not driving it right.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I may not be driving it right but when your running flat out you don't give much thought to how your shifting only how fast you can shift it.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ok got the stops adjusted back just a little no more klink sound I also installed the heaver springs that came with the shifter. They should have installed them at the factory and shipped the weaker ones with the shifter in case someone wanted to use them because the heavy springs is the way to go there is no missed third now and the shifter feels like what I had expected in the first place

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT