Slow starting GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Region: Arizona
Slow starting GT

My 1991 GT has one annoying issue that is starting to bug me. When I turn the key to start it it will crank over about 8-10 times and not start. Then I barely step on the accelerator, turn the key to "start" and it usually starts on the first crank. Tried stepping on the accelerator on the first attempt to start it and it just turns over and doesn't start. The second time is usually the charm. Kind of reminds me of an old Chizler Motors (Chrysler) car I had. It wouldn't start either. 1st, 2nd, or 8th time. Believe it or not, the car was a 1968 Hemi-roid Charger (yes, a real Hemi, not a clone) The problem with the Hemi was a weak ballast resistor.

The car has had a fresh tune up, timing is set at 10 degrees, all new filters, plugs, etc. I've replaced the fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure (about 38 pounds with no drop) and generally replaced most items that wear out. The car idles great, runs out strong, and doesn't miss a beat.. Any ideas on what to do now? By the way, the car is bone stock (less air silencer) and has 72,000 actual on the clock.

Poosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
Re: Slow starting GT

Check the battery and all the grounds and positive wires to the starter also check for a phantom load by hooking a set light to ground and contecting it to the positive able if it stays on you got a phantom load and well that can be easy or a pain to find depending on what it is and where it is,but more than likely you would have noticed this by a dead battery by now.Also the starter might be showing some age if its still the original one that come with the car or a cheapy replacement.

Mustang wanted for here...
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina
Cool Re: Slow starting GT

try this turn the key to on and wait till the fuel pump stops turn it off and do it again wait till the pump stops again then crank it over. you may be loosing fuel pressure this will allow the pump to build it up. If that works you will need to find out why its loosing fuel pressure . ex. Bad check valve on the pump leaky injector bad pressure regulator fuel line leak....... hope this helps
:drive:95 GT T5 K&N filter B&M Pro ripper kicked the cats out and flowmasters :burnout:
eagle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Does it do it more often when the car is warm, i.e. you've driven it for a while, cut it off, and are now trying to crank it again?

If so, it's most likely the starter.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Titus Wadicus
Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

ok, my theory is that he has a wore out idle control motor, which is why he has to give it gas in order for it to start.....u can get one at the junk yard off of almost any ford if the bolt pattern and and plug hook up r same...i have and idle control motor from a expedition on my pushrod 5.0 motor, my buddy had it on a blown motor in his shop....good luck wit dat
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT