What 302/5.0 block to build? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #1

Region: Tennessee
What 302/5.0 block to build?

Ok, here I go. I have decided to build a new engine for my mustang and I am going carburated. I just aquired a brand new Summit block for free, it is tapped for roller lifters. So I went to a freind for 302 parts like crank and rods. He sold me a complete 302 for $50.00. He told me it had a recient rebuild on it and not to many miles.
When I tore it apart, I found that it was bored .060 over with forged pistons. Furter inspections showed that it was actually a 347 stroker. The block is a non-roller block and is from the early 80's. The crank has 3.5 stroke with 5.4 rods. But here is the catch. It was rebuilt at some engine shop and has a rebuild plate on it. THEY PUT A E5TE HEAD ON ON SIDE AND A E5TE HEAD ON THE OTHER. DUH, but my main concern is the cooling of the over bore. Does anyone here have a .060 over engine and are you having any cooling issues. please give me some feedback.
ragtopstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: What 302/5.0 block to build?

if its a stock block then your in trouble to go 60 over... buy it, keep the rods and crank and flywheel and balancer, then buy some 30 over pistons and stuff it in that summit block... and you'll be getting a hell of a deal on a stroker.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

My bother built a .60 over 351W put it in his truck and used it to crawl around in the woods with lots of slow driving.He didnt have a over heating problem that I was ever aware of but he did run 20W50 Castrol,cant stand that stuff myself.
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #4

The heads look like they where good too but I am going to the junk yard this afternoon to try to locate some GT-40 heads for the project. I am goint to the machine shop too with the cam to see what it is. It has no stamping on it but HO so I figure it is a stock HO cam.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #5

Ok I could not find GT 40 heads but found D7CE instead. Any input here? I found a truck with 4H27 on inside of head but coukd not find any info on that number anywhere, it is a 302 though.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Definitely don't waste your time on a .060 over 302. It's junk.

I posted that this morning... but the server ate it.

As far as the heads, don't waste your time on anything less than the E7TEs or better. The E7TEs are so common place and cheap that it doesn't make sense to use anything less. If I were you, I'd find some GT40s.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Call Fanns forgot the number but its on the web
Old 12-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

your going to be starving a 347 combo with GT-40's, not to say it won't perform that way, you'll just be left with alot of room to grow.

302 parts make 302 power

if you do use the 60 over block (which I and many others here will strongly disadvise, keep an eye on the compression ratio... its going to be up there in the stratusphere with a flat piston and typical 58CC heads)

93 mustang notch
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #9

Well the pistons have cut-out for 4 valve heads if that helps and the are forged. I too agree with most about a .060 over 302. I bought the block really thinking it was a stock build, did not expect to find it to be a stroker.
I was just after the rods and crank. You cant bet the price of 50 bucks for that. I think i will order the Summit .030 over stroker kit and bore the new block. I did find a good set of 351 heads at the scrap yard but I dont know what they are for sure. I will go back there and find out. I really think I am leaning toward the GT-40's but did not see then there. I have one other place to check tomorrow before I go and order brand new ones. I still need a crank too. The stroker block crank is a 2 peice rear seal and the new block is a 1 peice.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

let me ask you this question, and I don't mean to be miss judging you, but how do you know its a stroker? did you measure piston travel?

oh and I do believe a good machine shop can fix that 2 piece to 1 piece rear seal problem

also, a block doesn't have anything to do with being or not being a stroker, you put a stroker crank, rods and pistons into an otherwise normal block, you just have to notch the bottoms of the cylinders for clearence and a couple other odds and ends.

keep us informed...

also pistons are not cut for 4valve heads, if they have 4 vavle reliefs then they are made so that all 8 pistons are the same and can go into either side of the block.. the interesting thing about these types of pistons are they can supposedly still be installed backwards.. :shrugs:
the factory did not ever produce a 4 vavle head for windsors, there is however 2v and 4v heads, which are references to how many barrels the carborators had that originally matched that particular head combo

I would tear down the stroker block, take all the parts to a good machine shop and let them measure everything up to see if any of it's reusable, if the pistons truely are .060 units, ditch those and re-use the rest of the combo in a fresh block

93 mustang notch
Old 12-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #11

No you are not misjudgingg me, I did measure the travel and it is 3.4 in aside from the 3.0 stock.i measured the rods to and they are 5.4in from the 5.090 stock.

I have to go to the machine shop today to pick up a head for my saturn tody and i will ask about the 2peice 1 peice main seal problem. I did not think about asking them about it. I just thought that they where two dffirent animals.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

they are, but i've heard of people maching the lip off of a crank so it can go into a late model block. note that this is only internet hearsay.. be warned

93 mustang notch
Old 12-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #13

Today I got the skinny on a 1 peice and 2 peice crank from the machime shop. It is true, all you have to do is machine the lip off the back end of the crank. I pick it up friday and it cost me 45 bucks. I dont think that is to bad concidering that the journals are good and does not need a grind. I will post more about it later. I am going to use the new block. I ordered the engine kit and now I just have to decide on the cam and carburator. I have picked the wielend twin screw blower and matched intake from Summit in the polished finish. And to top it off, the salvage yard here has a 94 GT just come in and I am getting the 8.8 and springs out of it, the engine was gone the same day it got in.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

awsome, whats the static compression come to?

that'll be nasty with a twin screw, hooking will be hard, and you'll probably be making enough power to crack the stock block. GOOD LUCK my friend, hope the absolute best for you, cause im using the stock block with my 331 as well!

93 mustang notch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT