From dead stop/even in park? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #1

Region: Michigan
From dead stop/even in park?

Hi maybe someone can help me out here? I just bought my mustang last yr. and its pretty much nothing stock anymore the engine is a 306 dss block 9-.5-1 compression comp.roller everything. cam Duraition at 280/280 Grind#FW 280H-R10 . mallory comp 9000 distributer High fire egnition box. Mallory promister coil. reliefcut pistons/flycut. holly 650 dble pumper fuel pressure is at about 6.5. timeing gears.Dartwindsor SR heads w dble spring .edlbrock performer intake,duel plane.
1 inch riser for the carb.the timming is set dead on,but i have been reading that 302/306 are eaither advanced 8 degrees to 16 degrees before top dead center? and thats what i'm getting at is this distributer to much or big or is mt timmeing not where it needs to be from a dead stop in gear it falls on it face back of the gas a little peddle it gets the rpms up a bit and then it goes like hell Can someone help a newbeee like meee out lol.i just put a brand new holly 650 on it thinking this would help i have that dialed in the best i can do.it had same carb when i bought it, its set up for nitris just cant afford it yet lol a oh and i just found out it has been doing this its whole life since it was built.oh rear end gear is 373 and i have a 410 to put in it

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!
Dennis
306BIGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Re: From dead stop/even in park?

Good luck
Old 07-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

sounds like the carb is dumping to much fuel at once. When he does fall flat does it seem to be loading up. Black smoke out of the tail pipes. If so lean it out lil bu lil until it goes away, Set base timing at 10 and see how it runs.

331stroked vortech 16psi
91sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #4

THANKS Sleeper,well i found out it's 10 to 12 dgrees before top dead center,i bought a vacum gage,never used one but i warmed up the car and huked it to the vacume on the back side of the holly 650 and tried to make the most vacum possible and theres only 2 air fuel screws and did same on each side.and seemed to help it allot but still is falling on her face.should i adjust them more.it's an auto c-6 trans stock stall and needs a 3000 stall but the directions said to put it in gear and adjust vacume? is this right.cause if its man trans says start it put in nutural.it dont put out black smoke that i can see but when it does it i have to tap the gas peddle a few times like tap tap tap to not bg out then seems to huke?.what is the vacume supposed to be the higher the better right? thanks a ton for your help!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

whats you fuel pressure?

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #6

If i have the floats wrong will that do this? i opened the site plugs and it comes out but not allot? or if its to much could this be the culprit? i did this when i put the new carb on.i was told by old owner he said it has done it when he owned it.with a street fighter trans and 3000 stall.just trying to give as much info as possible.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #7

it was real high before i adjusted it when i got the new carb was like 17 and the directions on the carb said no more then 7 i think it was so i put it to 6 1/2 but with just the pump on not running i havnt checked it while its running or gas the carb by hand.thanks for your paicents!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

see what pressure is while running

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If its a Double pumper then On the right side of the carb their are two screws one on the front bowl and one on the back bowl. Start the engine let idle take one screw out at a time and on the top of carb their is a flat head screw losen the flat a lettle and turn the nut one way or the other till you see fuel just that it rolls out of the bottom of the hole on the side of the carb and then it is set. You don't want it pouring out of the side that would be to much. Then do the other bowl the same way. Also set the air mixter on the side by the fuel holes on the side turn all the way in then turn 1 and a quarter turns out on each one

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #10

Have you tried it without the 1"spacer under the carb?
Evil J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like what a bad accelerator pump will act like or like 91 said about the floats.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #12

Thanks for all the help guys,I'm still haveing same thing so i found a dino place and taking it in they said 150 first hr 75 every hr after he said about 300 to be safe? is this a good price they will put a sensor in the tail pipe read the excaust and adjust from there to get it right and thats doing best horse power pull also. i will post the results after they do it .hopefully monday if it dont rain because they want me after the tune to rip it up to see if the bugs are worked out yee haww lol
Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306BIGDADDY View Post
Thanks for all the help guys,I'm still haveing same thing so i found a dino place and taking it in they said 150 first hr 75 every hr after he said about 300 to be safe? is this a good price they will put a sensor in the tail pipe read the excaust and adjust from there to get it right and thats doing best horse power pull also. i will post the results after they do it .hopefully monday if it dont rain because they want me after the tune to rip it up to see if the bugs are worked out yee haww lol
haha sounds like ur gonna have fun when theyr done.
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #14

.i took the car in, man that guy from evi is a wizard on cars took it in he listen to it run adjusted the carb put in bigger sprayers? sorry i forgot not jets but the other.and seemed to giver her life then he went under and doing something with the timming then adjusted the distributer about a inch toward the drivers side? didnt ask i just let him go lol then he adjusted the carb again and we went for a ride and dam it is on the money at about 3 grand ya hammer it it pins ya in the seat yea buddy. but my biggest problem wich this wensday the 410 r gear is going in and a new 3000,3500 stall it will go on the dino this time to see the power to pic the stall out then after i break in the rear gear going to see what max horse is thx for all the help took it to back to the bricks in flint mich. 2 days ago and it was just hukeing very well to many cops for fun.so there were a few problems timing/carb/and stall i have a stock one i didnt think it mattererd but as i learn thats one of the reason why it fell on its face it was in the price range free lol live and learn i geuss he said i could put a 200 shot of nos on it to really wake the beast but maybe for the track? would be insaine to me anyway lol let ya know what she does after wed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT