questions on heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
questions on heads

I have a 93 gt with the following mods trickflow intake edlebrock 70mm throttle body 73 mm c&l meter and tube 24lb injectors long tube headers off road h pipe bbk pullies. My questions are about the heads I just purchased a E303 cam and was wanting to know what the best heads are to purchase and if anything needs to be done to them before I install them
cowboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: questions on heads

well... thats personal preference

with a 302 AFR or eldebrock are going to be the best options, trick flow seems to be a good head as well when the cubic inches start to go up, though in reality all these manufacturers are going to be very close to each other in performance... regardless of which head you buy, carefully match your springs to the camshaft and roller rockers that you're going to use, and reconsider using an E-303, unless your just wanting a cam that'll shake you to death there are much better options.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

yeah I have already bought that cam the E-303 so I am looking at AFR 185 do I need to do anything special to them ported polished I dont know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

185's are large for a 302, I'd get 165's if this is a daily driver, all out track car turning 7,500+ RPMs 185's

93 mustang notch
Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy72 View Post
yeah I have already bought that cam the E-303 so I am looking at AFR 185 do I need to do anything special to them ported polished I dont know
Just get the AFR 165s, and you want have to touch them. They will bolt straight on.

However... I would recommend selling the E-303 cam and getting something with a split duration and decent ramp rates.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

I would also maybe consider the RHS heads whom use to be Pro-Topline, now part owned by comp cams, so they have all comp springs retainers, locks ect. They are a very reasonable price and flow just as well as the AFR. Actually the flow a bit better. Heres a link to there website, and also a link to my boys at HI-Tec Motorsport, ask for Bart or Brian they can recommend the right head and give you a great price!

Racing Head Service - RHS Performance Cylinder Heads - Home Page

HiTech Motorsport Inc
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Trickflow heads were always my choice. I have had 2 sets now problem free. When I upgraded the motor in my 5.0 I used the trickflow stage one camshaft with the trickflow heads. After taking a little while to get everything properly tuned it seems this is a good setup. It has a nice sound at idle and the motor pulls through to 6400-6500 RPM. If i had to do it over though I would use the cobra FMS intake or the trickflow street intake. I used the track heat intake which is good from 1500 up and it makes you want step on it all the time. the other intake would have been a little more streetable.
trickflow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91GTstroked View Post
I would also maybe consider the RHS heads whom use to be Pro-Topline, now part owned by comp cams, so they have all comp springs retainers, locks ect. They are a very reasonable price and flow just as well as the AFR. Actually the flow a bit better. Heres a link to there website, and also a link to my boys at HI-Tec Motorsport, ask for Bart or Brian they can recommend the right head and give you a great price!

Racing Head Service - RHS Performance Cylinder Heads - Home Page

HiTech Motorsport Inc
yeah, i've heard alot of talk about the RHS heads, seems to be getting more respect now that comp owns them.. perhaps an option I would take in the future, but I like to stick with the tried and true platforms.

I do remember a few people complaining about them back when they were pro-topline's about having to do alot of mach-up work to get them ready.

93 mustang notch
Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

so what cam would I need if i get rid of the e cam
another question is there a way I can tell what gears I have without taking the differential cover off the guy told me it had 3:73's but I swear if you dont have it in the right gear it jerks alot so I was wondering if it was higher
Old 01-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah you can, jack up the back of the car and put it in netral, mark your tires and mark the driveshaft, if you believe you have 3.73's then turn the driveshaft 3 and 3/4's full turn and your wheels should have made one compete turn.

a camshaft profile is something that is hard to sugest, going custom will be the way to ensure you get the best profile for your goals, but if you want off the shelf parts I would suggest you contact a professional builder (wether its local or not) and let them know your goals for the car and they should be able to match you a good camshaft, usually most builders don't mind doing this so long as you intend on buying from them, and this is what I suggest, even if it ends up a little more than mail order... don't skimp on the camshaft, its the brains of your engine

oh and just so you know, if you decide to keep the E-303 it will work best with a head that has flow numbers that are very close to each other on the intake and exhaust, AFR 165's qualify here

93 mustang notch
Old 01-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #11
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
well... thats personal preference

with a 302 AFR or eldebrock are going to be the best options, trick flow seems to be a good head as well when the cubic inches start to go up, though in reality all these manufacturers are going to be very close to each other in performance... regardless of which head you buy, carefully match your springs to the camshaft and roller rockers that you're going to use, and reconsider using an E-303, unless your just wanting a cam that'll shake you to death there are much better options.
hey, wut do u not like about the e-cam....i have one with ported stock heads, .560 valve springs, & aluminum 1.7 roller rockers..(i think pushes lift to .529)...anyway i think it freak'n rocks.....i just want your opinion, im always open to new schools of thought......i have a torque link installed, and u r right, itsa a lil un-nerving watching your moutain dew act like it's magicaly shake'n itself when the car is idleing....but im only 29 and valve overlap is still a pretty cool concept to me, besides for soft drinks prematurley getting flat, i think it's cool...i wanna hear your thoughts though.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
hey, wut do u not like about the e-cam....i have one with ported stock heads, .560 valve springs, & aluminum 1.7 roller rockers..(i think pushes lift to .529)...anyway i think it freak'n rocks.....i just want your opinion, im always open to new schools of thought......i have a torque link installed, and u r right, itsa a lil un-nerving watching your moutain dew act like it's magicaly shake'n itself when the car is idleing....but im only 29 and valve overlap is still a pretty cool concept to me, besides for soft drinks prematurley getting flat, i think it's cool...i wanna hear your thoughts though.
The main things wrong with the E303 are the lack of split duration (which really helps on Ford heads with poor exhaust flow) and the slow ramp rates (the rate at which maximum lift is reached which affects optimization of cylinder pressure).

Check out this site if you want to learn more about cams: Cam Truth

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
The main things wrong with the E303 are the lack of split duration (which really helps on Ford heads with poor exhaust flow) and the slow ramp rates (the rate at which maximum lift is reached which affects optimization of cylinder pressure).

Check out this site if you want to learn more about cams: Cam Truth
i read the article...i understand about 48% of it...lol...anyway, i really don't want all dat torque down low cause i cant really use it. i am doing some more work to the runners and some work to the bowls...im try'n to git rid of some of the low rpm torque in order gain grip, my stall is only 2500rpm....i cant get grip without more than a half tank of fuel.....the e-cam is very predictable when the power band kiks in...(feels like a turbo spooling up)...i want the power at 3k and up. wut do u think about split ratio rockers?....im run'n 1.7 aluminum rollers on intake and exhaust, i have sum 1.65 stamped roller tips i considered putting on the intakes, and leaving the 1.7 on the exhaust.....wut do u think? off subject...i am so surprised at the results i have gotten from ported stock heads.....my friends r so mad when i spank their *** cause they got those $2500 top end kits and git whooped (or cant shake me) by stock heads wit e-cam....im addicted to highway race'n ever since the porche couldnt shake me @130mph (the one wit the wing dat goes up when da car goes faster)......i'll take any advice you have cause im still pretty new to this
Old 01-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Your friends cars aren't running right.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i think they're cars r improperly tuned......run'n trick flow head and intake wit 19lbs. injectors.......i have ported e7te's and run 24#inj, adj fuel pressure reg, adj. tps., 3.73 gears.....most of these guys r run'n 3.55 gears or less.......i agree, i shoulda got my *** waxed....a 4.6 stang wit 4.10 gears and cam (big cam) will work me...(not hard though)......stock 4.6 stangs get walked on though.....when i get my motor reassembled i will give yall a quarter mi. time and dyno....i think when the car was run'n, i guesstimate 300-320 @ the crank.....i set up my motor as close as i could to jegs crate motor minus the gt-40 heads.....hoping that the porting and 1.7 rockers will make up for the valve size and the compression differance from the gt-40......im doin sum bowl work to the heads, i'm try'n to get rid of sum of the bottom end torque and trade for top end power....it chirps tires up to 3rd gear wit stock converter and valve body, it is very scary if it is wet outside....the car has tendacy to get sideways when getting on highway if wet....i have new trac lok...hopefuly it will fix dat....im always open to yalls suggestions and opinions. my public profile has my set-up if anyone interested
Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickflow5 View Post
Your friends cars aren't running right.
Agreed. I have the Trick flow top end kit, long tubes, 24 lb injectors(can't figure out why svtlx needs 24 pounders) 190 lph pump, pullies, 70 mm throttle body, and have beaten an 03-04 cobra with full exhaust from 60-100. Granted not a real race, but from a stop would have been worse since we got the new meats for the back. I'd say 300ish whp here and hopefully have lots more after an upcoming tune.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

the trick flow kit should be good to 300-325 RWHP... which is realistically the best you can do with a street driven 302 provided your not reving it to the moon. and what I mean is Congrats!, sounds like you have a bad *** car

I also wanted to add that that was an excellent find Bbunt, I read that whole article a few times over and it really shed some light to a few things i've been bouncing around in my head lately.

93 mustang notch
Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Agreed. I have the Trick flow top end kit, long tubes, 24 lb injectors(can't figure out why svtlx needs 24 pounders) 190 lph pump, pullies, 70 mm throttle body, and have beaten an 03-04 cobra with full exhaust from 60-100. Granted not a real race, but from a stop would have been worse since we got the new meats for the back. I'd say 300ish whp here and hopefully have lots more after an upcoming tune.
i have 70mm throttle body, typhoon intake.......runners on my e7's r portmatched..intake & exhaust....my intake ports r chevy size and my exhaust r larger than chevy (runners), valves are stock, but i run 1.7 rockers not 1.6 ....w/ 19# injectors i have to run almost 60lbs of fuel....ran awsome on top end but injectors had too much fuel pressure on them and wouldn,t cycle correctly....21lbs inj. would work but i got 24lbs for $3 a piece @ junk yard. i can run closer to stock fuel pressure now wit slightly better gas milage...i was get'n 11mpg. on highway.....i know u guys don't belive me but to stomp into at highway speeds, it has unbelivable acceleration for e7's.........seriously though, the car will not idle wit stock fuel pressure wit the 1.7 rockers....it will idle but not rev wit the 1.65 rockers...dunno bout the 1.6 cause i got rid of them 2 yrs. ago......out of all the mods i have done...move'n to 1.7 rockers was a differance i could feel.....sum of the best money i spent.....that and port match'n my heads....i have dyno books that say u can get 40-45hp (over stock) out of ported e7's...i can scan and email to anyone who wants to see it....i followed the instructions to a "t", and got rewarded wit sum great heads.....i traded velocity for volume, but in my case it does exactly wut i want. i do highway racing from rolling starts and dont need all the low end torque.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's awesome. Imagine how it would run with a set of good heads ported and polished. The valve size would make an incredible difference. Be careful with that highway racing. Don't wanna hear about a good mustang ending up all smashed.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickflow5 View Post
That's awesome. Imagine how it would run with a set of good heads ported and polished. The valve size would make an incredible difference. Be careful with that highway racing. Don't wanna hear about a good mustang ending up all smashed.
im ex law enforcement.....i went through alota high speed and offensive driving classes. i hang out wit bout 40 guys dat race on weekends on highway we usualy run between 2a.m till 4:30 .....the oshp give us a 8mi. strip were they look the other way....or they herd us to a country rd. where they block off the street for us....it's easier for them to put us in one area than to let us run around the city cause'n trouble at 3a.m.......we r actualy well supervised...it helps when sum of the cops have stangs ....we have sumthing to do and the 3rd shift guys (cops) have sumthing to do.........besides, i got 4cyl. brakes still, and i need plenty of room to stop. therfore i don't do light to light racing....i always remember that there is a time and place for it......
Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #21
Titus Wadicus
Regular

as far as good heads, im on a budget, dats y i ported the e7's. all the mods u see in my profile took me close to 3.5yrs. to aquire. im self employed now and squiez'n out $200 is a challenge for me....i made alota sacrifices to get my s/c.....it's gonna take me the next 5 months to get the money to punch my block and turn the crank..(hope not). besides, like i said earlier. i luv to see the look on their faces when they see the stock heads....then i say, how's it feel to get walked on by a junk yard motor!...(i don't tell them that the heads r worked)....of course i rub it in more by saying that they got more in their heads than i got in my whole motor......itsa matter of pride cause i did the work myself, now people r ask'n me to their e7's.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i have 70mm throttle body, typhoon intake.......runners on my e7's r portmatched..intake & exhaust....my intake ports r chevy size and my exhaust r larger than chevy (runners), valves are stock, but i run 1.7 rockers not 1.6 ....w/ 19# injectors i have to run almost 60lbs of fuel....ran awsome on top end but injectors had too much fuel pressure on them and wouldn,t cycle correctly....21lbs inj. would work but i got 24lbs for $3 a piece @ junk yard. i can run closer to stock fuel pressure now wit slightly better gas milage...i was get'n 11mpg. on highway.....i know u guys don't belive me but to stomp into at highway speeds, it has unbelivable acceleration for e7's.........seriously though, the car will not idle wit stock fuel pressure wit the 1.7 rockers....it will idle but not rev wit the 1.65 rockers...dunno bout the 1.6 cause i got rid of them 2 yrs. ago......out of all the mods i have done...move'n to 1.7 rockers was a differance i could feel.....sum of the best money i spent.....that and port match'n my heads....i have dyno books that say u can get 40-45hp (over stock) out of ported e7's...i can scan and email to anyone who wants to see it....i followed the instructions to a "t", and got rewarded wit sum great heads.....i traded velocity for volume, but in my case it does exactly wut i want. i do highway racing from rolling starts and dont need all the low end torque.

Some of your idling issue could be solved with a tune, which is exactly where we are headed as soon as taxes get back.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I just had mine dyno and tuned for 120.00 bux but it seems to me that I would need a custom chip for it with all the other stuff I have on it
Old 01-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

well guys I have decided to put the stang on the market for a fullsize truck prefer 4 door and loaded will consider lifted and ext. cab

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT