DSS stroker block pictures - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #36
Registered User
Regular
 
Brent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 11,873
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Yikes 4.56 gears. I bet that thing is a monster from a stop.
__________________

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
jwyche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 181
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

I'm still getting to know it with the new motor. Punching it in second blows off the 275/40 MT Drag Radials like they're on ice. The X303 is new to me also, but the needle just jumps across the tach face.

The real test will be in the next few weeks as everything gets sorted out and we bolt on the slicks and go to the track.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Jim
__________________
Jim Wyche:Senior Citizen. 1992 Mustang GT with a few mods. See webpage http://web.mac.com/jwyche or my garage. 2002 Mustang GT with a few mods. Collegedale, Tennessee.
jwyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyche View Post
I'm still getting to know it with the new motor. Punching it in second blows off the 275/40 MT Drag Radials like they're on ice. The X303 is new to me also, but the needle just jumps across the tach face.
That's such a great feeling though, isn't it?
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilentNoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Canada
Posts: 202
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
A totally smooth port is not what you want. Think dimples on golf balls.
LOL. Why the hell would you want you ports to look like a golf ball? Do you also believe that Tornado Gas Saver gimmick thing on TV helps to give you better gas mileage as well because it spins the air as it comes past the filter?

A golf ball is dimpled because as it's going forward through the air, it spins like your wheels would as you're driving forward - those dimples combined with the spinning motion actually help to generate lift - they control air flow slightly, but that's around a spherical surface, not the inside of a tube.

Bottom line is, smooth out the ports on the heads and the air flow will move much more fluidly through the heads, producing less turbulence and better performance. Leaving them as they are won't hurt anything though - AFR's heads are some kick *** pieces right out of the box..
__________________

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #40
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Region: Canada
Posts: 1
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
A totally smooth port is not what you want. Think dimples on golf balls.
Is that even your mustang in your sig... cause that is the most retarded thing i have ever heard, and yes i saw you second post im still whiping the tears from my eyes. Golf balls have dimples for flight direction and stablization and what silentnoise said in reguards to lift. Last time i checked i wasnt hitting my heads off the tee looking to stay in the fairway.
__________________
2003 Cobra
Lots of power
Fat-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Yeah, you guys are right. Physics was a stupid course anyway.

Do a search on laminar air flow, air viscosity and laminar/turbulent/boundary layers before you start opening your mouths. You'll feel better about it afterwards, trust me.

PF'NS> Howstuffworks "Why do golf balls have dimples?"

Next time, watch who you call a ******.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
550 hp from a 331? Has to have some hellacious compression with all the head tricks and rev from here till next christmas.
Still wondering...... Unless they meant power adder?
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

I bet you guys will think this one is just really retarded...

__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #44
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Still wondering...... Unless they meant power adder?
He's quoting the numbers presented on the websites for the motor.

The manufacturer doesn't specify that 550 is the max supported HP level...or that it would take a power adder of some sort to go 550 or not.

So..he is just spouting off the mfgr numbers due to a lot of "jumping the gun and shopping for stuff 5 steps down the list" enthusiasm.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilentNoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Canada
Posts: 202
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
I bet you guys will think this one is just really retarded...

I'm sure they're really good heads - they don't look to be very rough but they could be made to be great heads if you smoothed that **** out. There's a reason it's called a "port & polish", not just a "port".... smoothing out the grinding/machine work greatly improve flow statisitics. Ask any machine shop/engine builder - the less edges you have in the combustion chamber the better because that will reduce the number of potential hot spots which can cause preignition.

But you go ahead and believe what you want - just stop giving people the wrong information.
__________________

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #46
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
I'm sure they're really good heads - they don't look to be very rough but they could be made to be great heads if you smoothed that **** out. There's a reason it's called a "port & polish", not just a "port".... smoothing out the grinding/machine work greatly improve flow statisitics. Ask any machine shop/engine builder - the less edges you have in the combustion chamber the better because that will reduce the number of potential hot spots which can cause preignition.

But you go ahead and believe what you want - just stop giving people the wrong information.
Oh, so you didn't know the big gouge towards the top of the chamber? I'm guessing anyone who knew anything about heads whatsoever would have, but maybe I'm wrong.

And you're right, there is a reason it's called a port and polish. But if you think polish means you need to polish the intake port to a mirror gloss, you are the one who's wrong. With the exhaust, that's not as bad. It's going to have a nice carbon build up soon anyway.

But with the intake ports, you are #1) encouraging fuel pooling due to poor atomization. More of a problem with carb cars than FI, but still something to consider. #2) You are complete destroying your boundary layer of air flow.

A polish on the intake ports shouldn't mean to take the 1000 grit to it. A polish means cleaning up any obstructions left by casting. Guess what? A CNC'ed head is not going to have casting obstructions.

The fact is, the only reason some porters polish the intake ports to a shine is this: It makes the customer think he is getting a nice hunk of metal.

Here's a couple of decent discussions on the topic of boundary layers and air flow:

DIY Port and polish on an LS head. - Hondaswap
Porting and Polishing
Henry Darcy and His Law: Velocity and Boundary Layer Theory
Cylinder head porting: Information from Answers.com

Now will you guys please stop giving people wrong information?
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
SilentNoise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Canada
Posts: 202
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

When have I mentioned anything about polishing to a mirror shine.... good god man
__________________

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Mirror shine was an exaggeration on my part. I should have said a smooth finish.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 39
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
A polish on the intake ports shouldn't mean to take the 1000 grit to it. A polish means cleaning up any obstructions left by casting. Guess what? A CNC'ed head is not going to have casting obstructions.
Nobody is suggesting a mirror shine polish. If you look at the AFR 185 heads in question, you will notice that the CNC mill was set on quite course steps which saves mill time, but leaves a very rough finish. Even some of your own cited references suggest hand finishing heads ported this way on a CNC mill, which is what I was suggesting as well.

Heads like those Total Engine Airflow Victor 395's that I have are some of the best flowing SBF heads in the world, and they are done smooth because they flow better that way. They are not mirror finished, but they are not simply roughed in like the AFR 185's in question.

Throughout this thread you have been confusing my simple suggestion that the AFR 185's in question would benefit from a sanding roll cleanup with a die grinder with the idea that I suggested mirror polishing the ports, or enlarging or reshaping the ports. I suggested nothing of the kind, but I stand by my advice to SilverStangBoy regarding a sanding roll cleanup of those heads. It would improve them if it was done.

-Matthew
__________________
90 LX Coupe
02 GT Convertible
03 F-250 PSD
06 SRT8 Magnum

http://www.tecmotion.ca
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Nobody is suggesting a mirror shine polish. If you look at the AFR 185 heads in question, you will notice that the CNC mill was set on quite course steps which saves mill time, but leaves a very rough finish. Even some of your own cited references suggest hand finishing heads ported this way on a CNC mill, which is what I was suggesting as well.

Heads like those Total Engine Airflow Victor 395's that I have are some of the best flowing SBF heads in the world, and they are done smooth because they flow better that way. They are not mirror finished, but they are not simply roughed in like the AFR 185's in question.

Throughout this thread you have been confusing my simple suggestion that the AFR 185's in question would benefit from a sanding roll cleanup with a die grinder with the idea that I suggested mirror polishing the ports, or enlarging or reshaping the ports. I suggested nothing of the kind, but I stand by my advice to SilverStangBoy regarding a sanding roll cleanup of those heads. It would improve them if it was done.

-Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Mirror shine was an exaggeration on my part. I should have said a smooth finish.
I still say leave the ridges. Maybe, maybe take just a little off the top of them to ensure that everything is uniform and that there are no sharp edges. One thing AFR has done with their new Comp versions of the heads is to "refine" the ridges a little. But, they are still there. I would dare say AFR knows what the hell they are doing much more than any of us.

Not to mention, if they wanted a nice smooth finish on the intake ports, all it would take is a quick little rewrite of the CNC pattern. The ridges are there for a reason.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:09 AM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post

Not to mention, if they wanted a nice smooth finish on the intake ports, all it would take is a quick little rewrite of the CNC pattern. The ridges are there for a reason.
I agree with this... :pnoid:

On my heads, the intake ports were SLIGHTLY rough (BARELY) but you could feel it, my exhaust ports on the other hand were mirror smooth, felt like glass...
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
silverstangboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 583
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

not really going to join in on the argument, however I was to believe that AFR is putting more ridges in the heads than they used to because its much faster to machine., my understanding is that the pattern has be revised a few times, yet hold the same flow characteristics.

but to simplify things, mathew.. as much as I'd like to, nothing is going to touch those heads short of TEA

because I paid too much for them, even to attempt something as simple as a smooth down. no offense.. but i don't mind leaving that power on the table, as of now.


oh yeah, and to update my thread... I got some stainless brake lines, SN95 99+ PBR's for the front, a 150amp modified G3 alternator, and a #19, 9MM GLOCK... not sure is that last one counts as a mod to the car though
__________________


93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
On my heads, the intake ports were SLIGHTLY rough (BARELY) but you could feel it, my exhaust ports on the other hand were mirror smooth, felt like glass...
Now when you say mirror smooth, what exactly do you mean? (recalling a bill clinton joke, what do you mean by oral sex?)
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
silverstangboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 583
Re: DSS stroker block pictures




LIL update, still wating on the intake... its been changed to a holley systemax II
__________________


93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

You had best be cleaning while you can... I see some crud in that engine bay.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,192
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

looks pretty sexy so far
__________________
1989 5.0 - Mustang Brandy the NOW It can Barely Idle B**ch
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2019/3437/42512.jpg
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 - Yeah Its Gotta Baby Dick Lift
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
bullitt482's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 1,106
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

MMMmmm... so nice. AFR FTMFW. Which ones you using(no I didn't thumb through this thread to see)? 185's?
__________________
01 Bullitt
bullitt482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,192
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

they are ^
__________________
1989 5.0 - Mustang Brandy the NOW It can Barely Idle B**ch
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2019/3437/42512.jpg
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 - Yeah Its Gotta Baby Dick Lift
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #59
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: DSS stroker block pictures

i'm late as hell to this thread...spent too much time on other thread yelling at bullit...lol...i agree with bbunt...i dod my own head work, and there are alot of misconceptions as far as porting is concerned. he is right. there are alot of machine shops that keep that misconception going so the customer thinks they r gett'n sum awsome heads (not say'n they r not). anyway, since when do u get detonation in an exhaust port?....the xtra smooth finish is there to keep carbonn from building up, and slowing down flow. i know that u polish the "cumbustion chamber" to prevent detonation....someone correct me if i got this fuked up...but i'm pretty sure i read the same **** all of yall do.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DSS short block iwannagofast General Mustang Discussion 1 01-07-2008 04:59 PM
A little preview of the pictures/videos I will have on Sunday (NEW PICTURES UPLOADED) fast64 Pictures and Videos 6 07-25-2006 10:09 PM
can the 5.8L 392 stroker block take parts from 5.0's? fast64 The Bar 4 11-30-2003 03:21 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.