Supercharge a Stock 302 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Justin Send a message via Yahoo to Justin
Supercharge a Stock 302

My friend know a guy in TX who builds hot rods for a living and he has a supercharger for sale for the 302 for cheap. What would i need to do to my motor in order for it to handle the S/C. Its has nothing done to it so it compleatly stock.
Soon to come - UDPs, Off Road X-Pipe, A/T Cooler, and 03' Cobra Rims
Club - Tha Crew Leader of Muscle Car Division
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: Supercharge a Stock 302

if you want some real power you would need to upgrade and rebuild everything. that includes pistons rods crank heads cam intake and injectors. if you are looking to put it on the stock motor. you would need some headers, a larger fuel pump, an adjustable regulator, and possibly a timing retarder. a larger throttle body would make a big difference when putting a supercharger on a stock application.
trickflow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Minimum you'd need larger injectors, higher flow fuel pump/ PCM chip..

And that's assuming the SC comes as a kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah how much is he asking for your supercharger. depending on the boost. it will probably give you a 25% to 40% boost in horsepower. which should up the 225 horses to about 280 or so. with a motor that is already pushing 400 it could give you alot more.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

im not sure...how much yet...its a friend of a friend so prolly around $400 - $500... from what my friend said something about a boost reg... i dont know alot about it...could someone go into detail a lil bit about the boost, boost reg and everything..
Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

oh boy well let me share my experience. I did this 2 years ago on my stock motor at 100K lasted till about 135K before i blew something in the motor

All i would advise besides larger injectors, higher flow fuel pump, chip is a really safe tune i mean seriously i was maybe if lucky pushing 5-6 psi on my motor and thats with high miles and all you know. Maybe it was just my motor you know but honestly it sucked *** when i blew something.

In the end id do it again i enjoyed that power right there good times. just be smart about how much you wanna push out of that stock motor of yours you know
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I want to push enough to make a diffrence but im not tryin to blow anything up.. Would you say its safe to run 6 - 8 psi? or what would u suggest?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would save the money and build me a new motor when its done drop it right over so you have no down time other than tunning working out little this and that issues.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I want to push enough to make a diffrence but im not tryin to blow anything up.. Would you say its safe to run 6 - 8 psi? or what would u suggest?
Id go to about 6-7 psi you shouldnt have much just dont beat on the car all the time. That was prolly another factor
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

K thanks for the help...
Old 01-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I know a guy running a Vortech T-Trim on a stock 302 bottom end. It's still holding together fine at 16 psi.

Fear not the boost.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

it really depends on the mileage of the motor, would I put one on a 105 K motor? no... would I put one on a 50 K motor? hell yeah, in fact some times I wished I had went that route, it is the much cheaper way to make power.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
it really depends on the mileage of the motor, would I put one on a 105 K motor? no... would I put one on a 50 K motor? hell yeah, in fact some times I wished I had went that route, it is the much cheaper way to make power.
Actually the one I speak of (Billy from the Ford place if you remember him) is well over 100k. I don't remember the exact number, but it's something pretty crazy.

Of course, the thing is a ticking time bomb. But the point is that these motors will hold up to a fair amount of boost in stock form.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

itd be fine as long as your cars been regularly maintenanced. 5-6psi is not going to hurt you. You dont even NEED larger injectors... an FMU would work fine at that low boost.

I would recommend a tune for sure though, just so you're not running lean. Thats what blows the motor.

Headers are completely unnecessary in a s/c application.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just for the record its sold already but if i were to get one i could run 6 - 7 psi and not need anything extra?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Actually the one I speak of (Billy from the Ford place if you remember him) is well over 100k. I don't remember the exact number, but it's something pretty crazy.

Of course, the thing is a ticking time bomb. But the point is that these motors will hold up to a fair amount of boost in stock form.
thats some **** right there let me tell ya cause my **** didnt hold for to long ah wells just makes me upgrade earlier
Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

@ 6lbs. -7lbs. u realy dont need much more than an adjustable fuel regulater...u don't realy need larger injectors even wit 9lbs. run'n a stock cam and heads....9lbs. or more u difinatley need a larger f. pump like sumone else said.....if da motor ain't tik'n or nuthin, throw dat bytch on, run 2 heat ranges below stock spark plugs, ****** the timing a bit, adj. fuel pressure (a lil rich is better than a lil lean). and go!!!!...a friend of mine is push'n 638 @ crank wit stock bottom end and block. u should do more research on s/c before u purchase one.....i have books on building s/c motors, and supercharger & turbo theory, and sum friends wit stangs that r run'n 11-9's in da quarter wit boost....i can send u sum articles....deifinatley educate yourself before make'n a purchase....u will b sooo glad u did....everything u know bout build'n big horse on a n/a motor changes a bit when u run boost....anyway, just b careful when puchasing a used s/c.....there's a reason it's for sale....i have alot of info in books and dyno test i can send u if u r interested....i have'nt put my s/c on yet, but i'm setting the motor up for it as we speak.....increased exhaust flo on da heads, 8.2:1 compression pistons and etc.......i will help u as much as i can, if i dont know the answer i will ask one of my buddies that r runn'n 18lbs. of boost +. good luk wit dat!...and hpoe u find another unit.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

just for the record I would build it to hold the power it could produce so you wouldnt have a time bomb on your hands that would cost you more in the long run.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
just for the record I would build it to hold the power it could produce so you wouldnt have a time bomb on your hands that would cost you more in the long run.
the only thing that makes a s/c a time bomb is if u r run'n too lean, or have the timing advanced to much....if u r run'n less then 14lbs., thus not needing an inter/after cooler....anyway i don't think i have a good grasp on the discussion so i wil b quiete.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:04 AM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

anyone here have experience wit blow - off valves?....im try'n to pic one out...even though i don't realy need one for only 9lbs. of boost....suggestions guys? i luv dat whoosh sound!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

My friend is using one from HKS on the SER and I have one from a Blue Bird,not the bus,for my future SR20DET swap in the S13 stock Nismo I would stay away from the HotShot as its cheaply made and wont allow you to build enought pressure or well boost due to its plastic body leaking.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #22
Titus Wadicus
Regular

u gave me all these initials...can u elaborate.. i aint gotta of wut u talk'n bout...blue bird?...ser?....anyway, how do u go bout setting them? as much as i know bout s/c's im super stupid when it comes to blow off valves..go figure
Old 01-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I dont recall the excat model of the HKS blow off valve but I do recal it being super syquincial,sorry the SER option is a n/a two liter with a five speed close ration tranny Nissan Sentra this one is a 93 and my brother in law had a 91 with the Hot Shot set up both were running SR20DET its a two liter turboed japanese domestic engine imported over here ran in both front and rear wheel drive Nissans the Blue Bird is pretty much a Sentra sold in Japan.To set them you use a hex key or allen head its all controled by a spring and of course pressure some of them you can set via piggy back or in car I think but all of these are set under the hood by hand.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
u gave me all these initials...can u elaborate.. i aint gotta of wut u talk'n bout...blue bird?...ser?....anyway, how do u go bout setting them? as much as i know bout s/c's im super stupid when it comes to blow off valves..go figure
Blue Bird= SR20DET powered altima in Japan
SE-R= Nissan Sentra SE-R. It's a model like GT or LX.

SR20DET. 2.0 Ltr DOHC turbocharged motor in S13, S14, and S15 models of Silvia's in Japan. Pretty much the S13 is the first body style 240, S14 the second, S15 the third, which was only available in Japan.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Who started talking rice on this forum??? Just Kidding. All rice should be banished from all posts by the owners of this site.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickflow5 View Post
Who started talking rice on this forum??? Just Kidding. All rice should be banished from all posts by the owners of this site.
:thumbs2:

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #27
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
I dont recall the excat model of the HKS blow off valve but I do recal it being super syquincial,sorry the SER option is a n/a two liter with a five speed close ration tranny Nissan Sentra this one is a 93 and my brother in law had a 91 with the Hot Shot set up both were running SR20DET its a two liter turboed japanese domestic engine imported over here ran in both front and rear wheel drive Nissans the Blue Bird is pretty much a Sentra sold in Japan.To set them you use a hex key or allen head its all controled by a spring and of course pressure some of them you can set via piggy back or in car I think but all of these are set under the hood by hand.
MY S/C SYSTEM IS ALL MECHANICAL....i know u set them wit a hex key... ....is there a certain line pressure it should be set at? i know that it releases the spring via vacuum port....i just don't know how much pressure it's supposed to build...u know wut?...i just lost myself on this one....does anyone have a clue of wut im try'n to get at?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

well bad news.. he already sold it...the same guy has the rebuild 4 barrel 302 that i posted about.. i decided not to get it... so if anyone needs a carb 302 lemme know... he wants 1k for it... if u are intrested i can find out more details.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT