would it be a good idea? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:00 AM   #1

would it be a good idea?

was thinking of using a push button to turn my car on since my ignition switch got messed up ive been turning the car on with a screw driver by touching the to sides of my starter solenoid and wanted to permanetly leave it that way but instead of opening the hood all the time just run a couple of good size wires to a push button in the dash or something. As far as security issues i hardly drive the car except to track,races,meets,weekends always garaged and you will still need the key for the fuel pump to turn on.but anyhow was wondering if it would be a good idea.feel free to give other ideas open minded.
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Re: would it be a good idea?

i dont see why it would be a bad idea... would be kinda cool to me to have push button start i have always wanted it just because i think it is cool... if you do it dont just buy some off the wall standard ppush button, get something that looks cool like the push button kit for the new 05+ stangs, those are pimp... it might be intended for your car but that is called retro fitting... i love retro fitting...
79Ghia50Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

this question was asked on the V6 portion of the board yesterday and ill tell you what i told him. Unless you get something simmiliar thats on the vipers it isnt worth it cause its now that much easier to get your car stolen.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t25815
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #4

blue mustang not doing this for the "coolness" of it no offense 79 ghia but only doing this cause dont want to replace my whole steering wheel column cause its a ***** and yeah i read up on that one thread in the v6 section,not worry about it being stolen like i said above only drive car to races,track or to f@ck around my neighborhood not my daily driver and spend about 90% of the week garaged under lock and key.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

no offense taken i was just stating it as my own opinion. I dunno what you mean you have to remove the whole column for if only the cylinder is messed up. Then again i changed a key cylinder on a newer stang and i didnt have to remove the column.

but youd prolly like this then

http://www.12voltguy.com/catalog1.0.html.0.html
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think he means the key cylinder. It's the switch that completes the circuit when you turn the key. I know on the 66 we had that part go out(like a 15 dollar part) and we just did the screwdriver thing. We considered doing the pushbutton thing, but sold the car first.

Oh and it doesn't make your car easier to steal. You still have to have the key in the ON position in order for the car to crank. Otherwise, it will just sit there and turn over, but not start.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post

Oh and it doesn't make your car easier to steal. You still have to have the key in the ON position in order for the car to crank. Otherwise, it will just sit there and turn over, but not start.
My brother wired his BMW up to start with a button and no key. He went into the little computer in the center console and coded it though, you need to put the right 4 digit code in to start it with the button, or you can just use the key.

Of course your car isnt a Bimmer, just stating for the record its possible to bypass the key problem and make it truly push button. You could bypass the ignition(ala hotwiring) kind of and set the button up kind of like a toggle for your ignition, but im no electrician.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, I'd rather use the key. Kind of like the way S2000's work.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 AM   #9

still going to use my key just the way i start the engine cause every time i start my car my starter stays on spining like crazy unlees i started directly thru the starter solenoid and have change alot of things and still cant find the problem even the mechanins around my house dont know what i the h@ll is wrong with it.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

same none taken and i didnt know exactly what you were wanting to do it for but in my opinion no matter what the real reason for doing it is still going to be cool because that is just how i feel about those kind of mods
79Ghia50Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to A5295

man, it really sounds like the actual electronic switch is bad... Its an easy fix, and it has been done many many times over. I have replaced the switch in the column in mine, and it took all of about 30 min.

heres a link that shows you how to get the column down and apart... there are others as well-i did two or three other things in my column, like tightening the slack outta the tilt mechanism, and removing the lock button that you have to push to turn the key off...

Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly

heres the one for the rest of the stuff i was talking about
Mustang Central.net Steering Column Fix

Hope it helps man

The push button starter will work, just make sure that you use a fused link and big enough wire to keep things safe.
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5295 View Post
man, it really sounds like the actual electronic switch is bad... Its an easy fix, and it has been done many many times over. I have replaced the switch in the column in mine, and it took all of about 30 min.

heres a link that shows you how to get the column down and apart... there are others as well-i did two or three other things in my column, like tightening the slack outta the tilt mechanism, and removing the lock button that you have to push to turn the key off...

Hope it helps man

The push button starter will work, just make sure that you use a fused link and big enough wire to keep things safe.
Hey mike, ya forgot the link...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to A5295

fixed...
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

[QUOTE=A5295;375878]man, it really sounds like the actual electronic switch is bad... Its an easy fix, and it has been done many many times over. I have replaced the switch in the column in mine, and it took all of about 30 min.

ahhh wtf!!!! u got tilt?
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT