84gt info needed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

84gt info needed

I`m trying to decide how to go about restoring my 84, with needing a tranny,and a rear as the present are stock. I`m considering buying a 87-93 junker to grab some parts, any suggestions?
ladysplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Re: 84gt info needed

well what exactly you looking on getting advice on?

a little vague
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

What engine do you have? do you want to keep that stock also? trans -> were you automatic or manual to begin with? if manual I'd say find a world class t5 to swap in, automatic... a mildly built AOD is light and can take a bit of abuse (at least at a 5.0 level)

Rear I'm assuming is still a 7.5"? or did they upgrade to the 8.8s by '84?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

The 8.8s came on the 87+ Stangs (unless it was an SVO which showed up in 85 I think), so you'll want to swap out the weaker 7.5 in order to get something that's very good and reliable. The 7.5s are good axles, but if you're going to put any power to the pavement, it's an easy and swap to do that's definitely worth your time.

Picking up an 87-93 Stang will give you quite a few of the parts you'll need as long as it's just mechanical you're looking for....... however, as much as they are the same from 79-93, they also differ just as much

- The front ends obviously won't match up (aero nose vs 4-eye).
- Front fenders changed in 1991, so the 1991-93 Stangs will not be the ones you want to get if you need front fenders (unless you want to do the aero nose swap, but that's not cool).
- Rad supports are the same from 83-89, but changed for the 90-93 models
- Some of the stuff for the front bumper changed in the 87-93 Stangs (ie: bumper support and absorbers)..... not sure how big the differences are, so I can't say if they'll be of use to you if they are something you need.

There's a bunch of other differences, but they're a lot more minor and can usually be converted.

- Overall, when it comes to the body, if it were me (seeing as how I'd be in the same boat with my '83), I'd be trying to get my hands on an 83-89.
- If you do need front end body pieces (rad supposrt, 4-eye pieces, etc), see what you can track down for an 83-86 (not exactly the strongest stuff out there though when it comes to mechanical stuff, unfortunately)
- If it's just mechanical you need, find yourself anything from 87-93.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the info, I am planning on buying a later model junker to grab parts. My '84 still has the stock 5speed and 7.5 rear. the engine is a rebuild rated at 325hp. As for the body,it needs pass.side front fender.
ladysplr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

i might have a fender i can sell you... i bought it for my 79 but i have decided to just buy a whole new body this summer and do a engine/tranny swap... i completely stripped the old factory paint and re-primed it gray... it still needs a small amout of work because it got messed up when it was shipped to me but it is straight and not bent... so just pm and ill tell you all the details and try and get you a picture of it
79Ghia50Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Since it's the stock 5-speed, you might want to watch the power that you're putting through it, as those early T5s aren't rated for big numbers. The stock 83/84 hp was only 175 and 245tq @2400rpm, so by doubling your output, depending on how you drive the car, you might be looking for a new/rebuilt tranny sooner than later.

If you end up needing a quick replacement, sometime in early 90s-95 the GTs came with that good World Class T5 that could handle quite a bit more (in comparison to our old Borg-Warner T5).... but beware that Ford discontinued the output shaft for these trannies unfortunately, and a few years ago, there were a couple of companies beginning to make aftermarket versions for them, but they were still a little experimental, so the rebuilds might be a little "iffy"....... but I'd expect that they've got things figured out by now.

I've got a friend that kept bringing back his 93 GT and replaced 6 or 7 transmissions over the course of a summer after the original one bought the farm (thankfully all of the replacement work was under warranty) all because of this output shaft. Eventually he just said **** it and bought a brand new tranny.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT