87 problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #1

Exclamation 87 problems

ok so i just bought a 87 with a 5.0 in it as a project having some problems this is my first stang im a toyota mech so i know the basics. the car was originaly a 4 popper auto it was turned into a 5.0 5 speed with a 373 posi but the gauges werent working wright the tach does whatever it wants the speedo shows 120mph when im acctually doing 70 temp gauge fluctuates oil psi doesnt work and gas gauge doesent work when i turn my high beems on the dash lights turn off and when the left turn signal is on the tach bounces with it so i went to the bone yard today and bought 2 clusters for it one 4 a 4 cly one for a v8. v8 one is dead but the 4cly one makes the temp and battery gauge work. any help is much appriciated
87lx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: 87 problems

Sounds like some electrical gremlins to work out...not fun...
Dunno what to tell you besides start at one end and work your way back fixing it all.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

well, i do know this and that is that the speedo works independently of the eletronics, it sounds as if you have the wrong speedo gear in the car especially since it had a 4 cyclinder converson done. getting the correct one will fix that problem

you need a v8 dash, I believe all years are the same with one change being that the older ones only go to 85 MPH or something....

also make sure that when they did the swap, they used the same year engine managment harness that the car is, because you will run into the same problems your having using the wrong year harness in your car.. if the car is an 87 you have to use an 87 harness. you can't use a 92, or whatever the donar car is, it has to be an 87.

actually it breaks down like this

87-89 models can use the 89 main MAF harness, headlight harness, and O2 sensor harness

90 is specific to 90 models for the main MAF harness.

91 - early 92 models are compatable for the main MAF harness.

Late 92 - 93 models are compatible for the main MAF harness. A late '92 model does not have the fuel pump relay under the seat, it is integrated into the main MAF harness and is the same as a 93 model.

You can use headlight harness and O2 harness from 90-93, they are all the same for those year models.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

9 outa 10 times i agree wit silver stang boy. but ima have to disagree a lil bit here. i have a 92 coupe run'n an 87 harness (was a 4 banger) sounds to me who ever did that conversion didnt have a clue and didnt bother to even peel open a freak'n haines manual. all the gauges run independent of the ecm...the only wire that goes from the dash unit to the ecm is the "check engine light" and that is only one wire. i will try to break this down for u the best i can.
speedo.....you need to get a speed sensor from a four cylnder auto or stick dont matter, only one bolt. the speedo gear is the same for all, its the speed sensor that is matched to the rear gear, not the speedo. if the sensor case looks different, just swap the lil plastic gear on the sensor...the plastic gears may look differnt when u swap it...but it will pop right in the tranny once u attach it to the sensor.

gauges....all are in seperate harness on driver side. u can see which one is which by touch'n a hot wire to some of these wires..the needle in the dash will jump for that gauge. make sure u have o.e.m. type sensors on the motor. ford dash will not read off of aftermarket sensors (ohms or something like that) senders for aftermarket gauges wont work on factory gauges.

gas gauge.....the fuel pump runs through the ecm..(pink and black stripe i think). itsa good chance they cut the sender wire when they did the ecm swap, since ford intended for the harness to stay in the car. get sender wire color codes...check under passenger side dash where harnesses are and check to see if this wire(s) is cut..sender wires will not be on ecm harness, just fuel pump..mine is wired into the ignition...the only other it could be is a bad sender in tank or bad gas gauge...u might also pull the back seat out to see if they straight wired the fuel pump cause they couldnt find the right wires...there may be cut sender wires there..i dunno..just an idea for another place to start.

in all honesty, i think u got a bad ground somewhere in the dash harness. i would check under the hood, driver side firewall, and trace them all back to see where they go. get your wire color codes cause this will give u a good idea as to where everything should lead.

silverstang boy made a reference to o2's and mass air...is your car mass air? all speed density harnesses have blank pin spots for mass air. if u get a junk harness u can pull two wire pins out of it and put it in your harness the two spots (pins)are already there (signal in and signal out). the other two wires on the maf are hot and ground...u can run off of ignition wire....the next step is to get a maf ecm..plugs right into your harness...it cost me $40 dollars in junk yard parts to convert to mass air versus $500 dollar conversion kit from jegs.

o2's....have a signal in and signal out for the ecm...a third wire is a hot for the heater...turn ign on and check. one out of 3-4 wires should be hot with key on. if none r hot...check color codes and u can run a ignition hot to the
o2's....just make sure u got the signal in and signal out connected to ecm...these r easy to cut on a swap over by accident....

let me know and i will give u my number if u have questions....i swaped my 87 gt harness into a 90 v-6 t-bird motor swap....3 years later i took 87 harness out and put in my 92 coupe motor swap....let me know and i will hunt down wire color codes for u.....there are a lot of ways to save money on swaps if u know wut to interchange, and wut u can bypass....i am more than happy to help
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Actually, silverstangboy is right. Copied straight from a post I made on Stangnet back in the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
Just for reference, here's a list of all the compatible years:

89 harness should work for 86-89 as long as you're using mass air.
90 harness will only work in a 90. (B/c of air bags and dual dash connectors)
91 through early 92 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under driver's seat)
Late 92 through 93 harnesses should be compatible (single dash connector, fuel pump relay under the hood)

Computers from 89-92 are all the same. Look for the A9L sticker on the back cover for a 5 speed that matches your requirements. Example: E9ZF 12A650 AA" with the A9L code.
They can be made to rework by doing custom wiring for the dash connectors. But otherwise, you are not going to be able to just plug an '87 engine harness up to a '92 dash harness. The 91+ has a single reddish brown connector while the 86-90 has a black and grey connectors.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i know, but i was just giving him some ideas for by-passing...i have 92 wit 87 harness and 89 ecm all my **** works. all im sayn is that he doesnt have to run the dash to the ecm to get his stuff to work properly...just try'n to make it easier for him to put together his stuff together, if he was that advanced on electrical knowledge he sure wouldnt be askn us about it....i just hate to see someone spend a few hundred dollars on something they can fix with an hour and $3.00 worth of wire......the way i was telln him will work, and operate safely....not necessarily the political correct way to do it. but it will work in an oem fashion and no one will no it's jimmy wired but him....lol
Old 03-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

might be best in the end to just buy a harness that works and put it in.. save you a ton of time and issues.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

OMG...OBVIOUSLY some people have more money than time around here.....spector have u priced a harness latley?....most new harnesses retail for more than that guys stang is worth.....even if he buys another harness he still has to install it...now he's back in the same boat...and honestly, i dont think a new harness is going solve his problems....the time it will take him to strip the car.. & route the new harness...he could fix his existing faster and spend $10 max on wire and fuses....not mention, if u can't read a wiring diagram to fix a car that is pre-wired...u sure as hell ain't got no business rewiring the whole car.....but hay, it's just my opinion and yall know wut they say bout those.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I got the correct engine harness for my '90 for $150.

For people who don't know a lot about reading wiring diagrams and how to properly re-wire (note: if you are using electrical tape, you're not doing it properly), it's much easier to spend 150 bucks for a plug-and-play harness.

Not to mention, your car's wiring won't be a complete hack job.

And yes, I do have more money than time.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

WHERE THE HELL IS 87LX50?...BBUNT U AND I ARE NOT GONNA SEE EYE TO ON THIS, which don't matter seeing how it isnt our car. and on the real, between u and me...he probably needs new wiring front to back cause the person that swaped it i dont think had a clue. i take that back..if it runs then he is halfway there. i've done three conversions so far. if 87lx50 has dough like u, u can send him the link to painless wiring or the people u got your harness from.....if he's run'n on a budget like me (2 kids self employed) i will scan and email to him my ecu and chassis wire schematics...if he even wants them....seriously, i wish i had money like that cause i would have bought new wiring for my car...no i take that back...honestly, i'm to lazy to pull out and re-route wires already ran..but thats just me. o yea, if u can hook up to the ecu and get your data, wut differnce does it make how the wires are ran? bbunt i bet you are one of those perfectionist. i would look under the hood of your car and say,"oooh, look at organazation"....i'm not being a smart ***, but i admire people with attention to detail....i work in engineering and all i care is that it works properly, regardless of the asthestics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT