CHARGE !!! HELP!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #1

CHARGE !!! HELP!!

I have a 87 GT. I put it away for the winter and once/twice a month I would start it up and let it run out for a bit. Today, after a month, I started her up and the battery gauge was in teh middle like there was no charging going on. I ended up driving the car then parked it for 15-30mins while running and noticed that the battery gauge was going down very very slowly. I shut the car off and heard the click-click. I went and got an alt. but it was the wrong fit. The battery, Alt were replaced just before winter. I m going to get another Alt. but I m afraid its not the problem cause that d be too easy. Its this comon and can someone tell me what to check for (Wires) and where their located?

I need to get her running in the next few days.
ATFPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: CHARGE !!! HELP!!

I think you just have a bad battery. You should invest in a battery tender to keep it charged when you store it.

1997 Cobra Convertible 1 of 3 made with Crystal White paint, white top, and Saddle cloth interior.

Rollinthundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #3

Yea, I m gonna have it tested. We did jump it and the battery gauge went up but when we took off the jumper cables its just starts to go down really really slow. Could the battery be bad and not hold a charge even only a few months old? I m hopeing its this simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

If a battery's bad or not, if the battery was able to fire the car up initially.. An alternator should show ~14-15 volts to the battery when the car's running. It's up to the battery to hold the charge or not..

IF you bought a 'remanufactured' alternator from Advance/ Auto Zone/ pep boys/ etc I would say that's your problem...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you are using a stock type alternator, check your voltage with the car running. If it is less than 14 volts, seriously consider changing to a 3G alternator. A lot of BS problems disappeared for me when I swapped in the 3G, and I don't even have a radio in the car!

-Matthew
06 SRT8 Magnum

http://www.tecmotion.ca
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM   #6

Yea I got the alternator test three times today. Its a Boseh performance alt. I did get one at a parts store yesterday and it didnt charge either. The car runs and dosen't stall (Ran for like 10 mins-20mins) just the volt gauge is very low. When I turn on the lights etc, they dont dim or anything. Its just when I shut the car off itll click. But if I let it sit for a min or two it ll crank a bit then die out. I know the car was sitting in the warehouse and I heard that even though its a few months old (Battery) the cold could have killed the battery to which it dosen't hold a charge. I m gonna have the battery tested tommorrow. I see no corrorsion on the battery terminals near the plugs that connect into the alt.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #7

Was the starter relay thing on the fender. Thanx guys !!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

wut matt said...a 3g alt.....i put one on ,my stang too....had to do a lil modifying but it works awsome...better than that 75amp bull****.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #9

Region: Michigan

a disconnected battery should have at least 12.8 volts or more... for every 2/10 you are under that reading, you lose 25% of your CRANKING power... so if you are reading your battery at 12.4.. your battery is only at 50 percent cranking compacity. sounds like a dead cell. ohh, and i'm not sure, but you may check for a fusable link between the alternator and the battery this can sometimes cause a problem.
drewmo50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT