4 banger Fox to V8 swap how to? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

4 banger Fox to V8 swap how to?

Anyone have a relatively detailed description on how to do a V8 Swap on a 1993 Mustang LX 4 banger?
snake428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
Re: 4 banger Fox to V8 swap how to?

Fletch's Carbed 5.0s has a pretty good write-up with all of the parts needed/recommended - it covers everything from the oil pick-up to the tranny, but you just have to worry about the conversion from carb to EFI part.

V-8 Conversion

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've personally done it if you have some specific questions. To do this project right is a lot more work than it looks like, which is why 4 cyl conversion cars have a bad reputation - most people cut corners and do a shoddy job. Anyway, like I said if you have some specific questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

-Matthew
06 SRT8 Magnum

http://www.tecmotion.ca
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I've personally done it if you have some specific questions. To do this project right is a lot more work than it looks like, which is why 4 cyl conversion cars have a bad reputation - most people cut corners and do a shoddy job. Anyway, like I said if you have some specific questions, I'll try to answer them for you.

-Matthew
Too bad Kent isn't over here too. Between you two, you'd probably be able to walk him through this thing with your eyes closed.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

having done it myself and i'd almost tell you not too, however finding a v8 fox that hasn't been raped to death these days is getting HARD to do.

good luck, just like any project expect to spend more than you expected.. and have patience.

oh and again, mine was a 93lx hatch, pictured below... as the others have said, i'll help to answer any questions.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

AWESOME!

lol,

i have an 81 hatch, 4 banger... bout to be doing the whole rebuild. will be looking for lots of pointers!
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #7

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to unstopablestang Send a message via Yahoo to unstopablestang

the swap is not that bad i help my roommat put a 460 in to an old f150
Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
having done it myself and i'd almost tell you not too, however finding a v8 fox that hasn't been raped to death these days is getting HARD to do.

good luck, just like any project expect to spend more than you expected.. and have patience.

oh and again, mine was a 93lx hatch, pictured below... as the others have said, i'll help to answer any questions.
Looks like a notch to me :dunno:

Sorry everyone, I'm in annoying mood today, cause of this dam gun control stuff.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to unstopablestang Send a message via Yahoo to unstopablestang

what gun thing
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The people saying **** about gun control and how it would have saved those kids lives at VA Tech.

Sorry, BTT.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #11

that stillll would of happend
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I think I posted that while the G/F was chewing out the ole ear.

what I meant to say was mine was a 4 cylinder notch originally.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #13

Region: Texas

I have personally done this swap and believe me it is not fun. Especially running the fuel line cause the 4 banger and 5.0 are not the same. If you are going from auto to 5 speed, have fun changing the pedal assembly. The computer the fuse box and all the wiring it prety easy to run. the fuse box you really wont have to mess with, but the computer you will.

This also gives you a chance to hide all your wiring under the hood. Make sure you swap out the rear end to a 8.8 and get rid of that 7.5. Like I said before everything prety much works but Have fun with the fuel lines if you are running EFI like I did.
SeaFoamCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Looks like a notch to me :dunno:
x2... i know i got one..lol

Sorry everyone, I'm in annoying mood today, cause of this dam gun control stuff.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFoamCoupe View Post
I have personally done this swap and believe me it is not fun. Especially running the fuel line cause the 4 banger and 5.0 are not the same. If you are going from auto to 5 speed, have fun changing the pedal assembly. The computer the fuse box and all the wiring it prety easy to run. the fuse box you really wont have to mess with, but the computer you will.

This also gives you a chance to hide all your wiring under the hood. Make sure you swap out the rear end to a 8.8 and get rid of that 7.5. Like I said before everything prety much works but Have fun with the fuel lines if you are running EFI like I did.
i unbolted the fuel line from under the car, and just bent it over to the other side. i'm still run'n 7.5 rear end (factory 3.73 inside) i've been run'n it for 2yrs now..still intact..still run'n 4cly brakes..(like a true moron). however check engine light is hooked up..all gauges work correctly..even speedo....it took me a month to build mine in my spare time..92 coupe..but well worth the effort...even dealer mechanics think my car is factory v-8 till i show them the rotors..lol.....anyway, i'm one more person u can ask for info on conversions....alot of knowledable people here, but we have a lil differnce in opinions on set-ups...i know one particuler person here that swears by painless wiring....if u r a broke *** like me..u will go to junk yard and make **** happen. u can get a wiring harness from a v-8 truck, crown vic, v8 t-bird, 89-93 lincoln mark 7, lincoln town car "5.0" only...ford put the pin holes for mass air in the harness like two years before they even started putting in mass air...u can convert an older "speed density" harness to mass air very easy..the only thing u can't modify is the ecm...u gotta have mass air ecm...doesn't have to come out of a stang..u can use a truck ecm if u have too..just b 5.0 and mass air is the only must have requirments...everything else u can make work. it's not as complicated as it sounds...but definatley alota work.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm that painless guy (not very experienced on swaps, but I know that 20 yo wiring can't be in THAT good of condition). I know I'd be pissed that I had an electrical gremlin because I went the cheap way out.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #17
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
I'm that painless guy (not very experienced on swaps, but I know that 20 yo wiring can't be in THAT good of condition). I know I'd be pissed that I had an electrical gremlin because I went the cheap way out.
omg dude, the harness in my 92 stang coupe came from an 87gt "speed density"..put it in a 90 tbird i converted to 5.0...drove for 3yrs...took harness out and put it in 92 coupe....dude, we r talk'n bout wires here, not toyota quarter panels...lol..anyway, i prefer factory wiring as opposed to aftermarket, that's just me though...but like i said before i don't have a big budget to play with, so i have to try to pretend to b an electrical engineer. 35 dollars in a mass air conversion..hell yea..as opposed to those $450-$500 conversion kits in the mags & catalogues...i dont mind spending big money on parts...but i refuse to give someone a few hundereddollars for a pile of wires i can get for free on up to $30 bucks....i have a continuity/volt/ohm meter and i know how to use it, to check for breaks in the wires...............................................off subject me and my tranny buddy took off the 87 cab from his tow truck and put on a 93 cab....everything works!!!... i'm gonna convert it to fuel injection for him...again just my opinion
Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

So whats the difference between return style fuel systems and non return? I've been hearing about it so much but really have no clue what the difference is beside what the names say.
snake428CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake428CJ View Post
So whats the difference between return style fuel systems and non return? I've been hearing about it so much but really have no clue what the difference is beside what the names say.
i thought the name was self explanatory...lol...return just means that the extra fuel not pushed through the injectors just cycles back into the tank. returnless means that all the fuel stays pressurized in the line until the injector needs it....i'm not sure if my explanation made sense, so hopefully someone here will correct me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT