notch down - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to powerhungry966
Exclamation notch down

well about to be... my tranny is officially slowly going.. doesnt drop to 4 gear (over drive) 1 gear lags.. ( engine speed increases then slowly grabs it) I need your guy's input. what should i do? get another aod. or should i go for a 5 spd swap? i kno i kno a lot of you would go 5spd but i would need a complete parts list etc etc. w/ aod i hear they suck anyway. break easily... input??

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
powerhungry966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: notch down

I like to shift my own gears. How about a TKO600 if you have the bread. Still that might be overkill and a cheaper 5-speed might be better for you.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it should be a manual so look on the bright side, its a chance to fix the mistake of having an auto put in it to begin with

A brand new stock T-5 will hold up good to 300-350rwhp if you take care of it and know how to drive.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Dont listen to this auto haters, Just go to a tranny shop and asked if they can upgrade the internals of the tranny for you. Seeing as its going out its the perfect time.

My auto as it sits im sure will outshift any of these manual guys in a heartbeat (i dont have the supporting power at the moment but im sticking wit the whole comment)
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
it should be a manual so look on the bright side, its a chance to fix the mistake of having an auto put in it to begin with

A brand new stock T-5 will hold up good to 300-350rwhp if you take care of it and know how to drive.
I wouldn't recommend powershifting any T-5. TRUST ME!!!..

I'd change the fluid first just to be sure that isn't part of the problem. It could get to a point where you could save up and afford something better. I'd recommend an Art Carr. Here is a post to a dealer who could definately help you out.

DFWstangs Forums - Art Carr
Old 04-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
My auto as it sits im sure will outshift any of these manual guys in a heartbeat (i dont have the supporting power at the moment but im sticking wit the whole comment)

As much as I hate to say it, auto's are the way to go if you are planning on a fast car. I'm going to do my damndest to prove it wrong though(I know not possible) but I'm staying manual as long as I can.

TCI also makes some good tranny's--sorry I put C4's in my above post. Here are some AOD's that could fit the bill, too.

TCI - TRANSMISSIONS: Everything You Should Know About High Performance Automatic Transmissions
Old 04-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Eh, throw a T5 in there. So much more fun to drive.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

TKO 500.... in fact, i've got a brand new T5 if you want it, and i'll buy the TKO

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

i dont think i can toy with a swap at this point.. i was doin some research n i came across that the stock aod ecu would work just need some supportin part eec (?)... n it would lag tho cuz the ecu would detect a supposed shift point.. is ths tru? n juss outta curiosity would neone know a site/someone that would give me a complete parts list.. i hav this site i juss dont kno if its for a sn95 auto-2- 5spd.. ill send u guys the link wen i get home.. im on my mobile so i cant access it..

what could i hav done to the aod to make it better? what specific parts would need to be updated? how do those ratchet shift kits work nehoo do they jus plugg on top of the shift tranny?

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
Old 04-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

dude, that ecm verses tranny type is b.s. ...at least on a fox...aod is non-electric on a fox...you wont know the differnce. i'm run'n and aod on a manual computer...no hesitation, works just fine. the obd 2 systems the use an aod(e), are a lil more sensative to that sorta stuff (i think). with a fox u r fine... i have 4 computers 2auto..2 manual. personaly i cant tell the differnce with any of them. except for my 93 computer definatley makes adjustments faster than my 89 ecm...i think in 91 they changed to a processor they operates 15% faster than the previous...i have to look up to see wut year exactly though. i removed my t-5 and put in an aod...my best friend builds autos for police and taxi cars so i guesse im the lucky one in the forum when it comes to automatics...i got a p/a performance valvebody and 2500 stall converter. jegs sells heavy duty clutches for aod's..and there are some company that sell aftermarket spragues (heavy duty)...that is the part that is make'n your overdrive not work properly...it's near the tail of the tranny.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Heavy duty clutches for an AOD? You mean converters? (Yes I know there are clutchpacks in the tranny) I don't see the point in rebuilding a stock one, when you can get a new one with warranty and all.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Heavy duty clutches for an AOD? You mean converters? (Yes I know there are clutchpacks in the tranny) I don't see the point in rebuilding a stock one, when you can get a new one with warranty and all.
they sell them at jegs..and dayco...as well as...h.d. spragues and servos...seriously...if u know a builder u can buy the stuff and have it put in cheaper than buying a new unit....i'm just lucky cause my best friend builds them for a living...i got a 1600 dollar unit with 300 dollars in it...of course my friend built it for free all i had to do was buy the parts
Old 05-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
btw, i know im not the only one here who gets 5.0 mag....im not make'n this stuff up..yes clutches and clutch plates...not converter(s)...look in the jegs catalogue or dayco tranny...my friend that builds says the h.d. clutches r a waist of money and all u need is the h.d. sprague...he said the h.d. servos are not good on a street car.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

svt ask your buddy what other parts i can use. im plannin on atleast 350rwhp on a daily driven car.. where theres a lot of idling due to traffic n things of that nature.. appriciate it bruh.

also would a 25000tq converter be ok in a daily/traffic driven car?

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
Old 05-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhungry966 View Post
svt ask your buddy what other parts i can use. im plannin on atleast 350rwhp on a daily driven car.. where theres a lot of idling due to traffic n things of that nature.. appriciate it bruh.

What I did to get my tranny done was going to a really good trannny shop ( i happen at the time to deliver to one) so I went with them told them what my future plans on the car is and they just did it up for me. The car itself with a done up tranny is a beast in its own right.

I have a 3K stall on my car really doesnt bother me much but then again its been a good 2 years since Ive driven my car ( ).
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
btw, i know im not the only one here who gets 5.0 mag....im not make'n this stuff up..yes clutches and clutch plates...not converter(s)...look in the jegs catalogue or dayco tranny...my friend that builds says the h.d. clutches r a waist of money and all u need is the h.d. sprague...he said the h.d. servos are not good on a street car.
You think I get all my knowledge from a magazine????? LOL You crack me up.

Riddle me this batman, two questions then. What do you do when your stock valve lash is out of spec? And in the aftermarket world, with pedestal mount adjustable rockers, what is the correct valve lash for a hydraulic roller motor?

Please don't google it.

And there is no way I would just change just the sprags out in a stock AOD and expect it to hold up to some decent power(400+ at the motor, I don't use at the wheels because it varies)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

correct vavle lash would be about 1/4 to 1/2 additional turn once the pushrod is finger tight... or in other words pushing the plunger down about 10-30 thousanths will work.

not sure about stock being out of spec, suppose i would have the vavles reground and throw some new lifters and pushrods in there. check rockers for improper wear and replace if needed.. but im a little overkill

93 mustang notch
Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
im plannin on atleast 350rwhp on a daily driven car

are we going supercharger, nitrous, turbo or stroker?

and a 25,000 K would be alot of stall for the street, however 2,500 would be just fine but i'd go with at least a 3,500 or more.

93 mustang notch
Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:

long periods of idling doesn't realy hurt the tranny. honestly dude, aod's aren't as weak as everyone makes them out to b. my friend said that race/h.d. clutches and clutch plates don't help out all that much..they just wear a lil slower. similar to the t-5 it's gonna b your 3-4 shift that goes out or reverse. 4th and reverse work off of the rear sprage...long story short, most failed units he has rebuilt that were used for high horse application failed cause the sprage broke...not the clutches. my stang will b around 450hp. @ the crank...we got a p.a. valve body from jegs. he said this would allow me to manual shift and get tighter/faster/ more aggressive shifts without all of the wear and tear on the trans...the other key is to keep th unit as cool as possible. i run a 6 pass, an 8 pass "trans cooler", and then through the radiator. seriously an 8 pass is enough but i don't take any chances with my trans. i do highway racing on weekends and run around 120-135mph for extended periods "traveling from columbus ohio to cincinnati"..the fluid barely even gets warm.

ask for 2-3 magnets in the tranny pan...really helps with longevity of the unit..u will find excessive magnets in the pans of race trannys and toyotas'

a heavy duty sprage =optional

race type clutches & plates - optional

6-8 pass tranny cooler = highly recommended....run through radiator also for additional cooling capacity

aftermarket valve body = highly recommeded..the stock valve body will kill your trans "in high performance applications", cause of the design. with this u should'nt really need race type clutches or corvette type servos. the aftermarket v.body will correct the line/passage pressures in the trans...allow u to shift from 1-2 without drop'n back to 1 in order to hold 2nd...correcting that damn shift hesitation..among other things..about $200 with tax from jegs.

your stall speed should be dictated by cam duration not the trans..b&m tranny has a sliding duration/stall scale. they suggested a 2500 stall for my e-cam. the higher the duration..the higher the stall speed...i paid $165 for my 2500 stall converter from roadrunner converters...comes with a 1 year warranty...they went up a lil on price ($40-$60 cheaper in winter months)...but way cheaper than spending $375 @ jegs for the same stall speed. they also have a stall/duration scale so u can match the convertor to your cam..i can get u their #...they ship. u will not have anyproblem driving that stall speed or even higher in traffic..just make it more responsive when u put your foot in it.

i hope this helps and makes sense.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
You think I get all my knowledge from a magazine????? LOL You crack me up.

Riddle me this batman, two questions then. What do you do when your stock valve lash is out of spec? And in the aftermarket world, with pedestal mount adjustable rockers, what is the correct valve lash for a hydraulic roller motor?

Please don't google it.

And there is no way I would just change just the sprags out in a stock AOD and expect it to hold up to some decent power(400+ at the motor, I don't use at the wheels because it varies)
dude, wtf? i'm not claim'n to know all that is stang. i do alot of reading...not just 5.0 mag...but 5.0 mag does point u in the right direction for stang specific literature...as well as some awsome articles...i did my speed density to mass air conversion from one of their articles and only got $35 in parts doin it versus the $500 swap kit in the catalogues..as for valve lash..i'm run'n stock ported heads w/ pedestal 1.7 r.r. i'm not a know it all...do wut u want wit your aod...i dont build them, my best friend does...i've been beat'n the piss outa mine for 2yrs and still shifts fine..he built it for me...so i take his advice... u dont have too. i have a 3ft. high pile of stang & ford books (not just 5.0 mag.)... my stang makes around 330hp @ crank till i decide to pull my blower outa the box...besides..u should ask bbunt that question...all seriousness, i wish i had all his literature...he is truly the stang know it all...im just a newby, this is my first stang. i'm learn'n everyday, that's y i'm on this forum...and to do a 4cyl - v8efi conversion by myself with only a haines manual..some old 5.0 mags and some other stang and ford books i bought at jegs is say'n alot for my first stang...when i get more experience i will answer your Question.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

very much helped.. thanks svt.

alright heres the status on the car. I ran into a guy who does hipo work here in the bayarea. He's parting out a car with 38k miles on it (90 gt) owned by an old lady. THe cost to rebuild the auto was 1200, meanwhile this swap he said with all parts n labor 1500.. so I am getting a five speed swap. i'll give you guys some picks soon as i get it back on thursday.

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
are we going supercharger, nitrous, turbo or stroker?

and a 25,000 K would be alot of stall for the street, however 2,500 would be just fine but i'd go with at least a 3,500 or more.
haha woops.. that might a bitt too much ey? uhm also i was thinking stroked supercharge.. or turbo but that would just insure that i have to pay $300 every 2 years for dirty smog.. ahha

1989 coupe 5.0 yeessur.
"Shake n bake"
Old 05-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
Titus Wadicus
Regular

dude, i wish u were here in ohio. u could buy all the heavy duty/race internals and have my buddy bench it/assemble it for $5-$600...and if knew u were one of my stang buds probaby bench it for u for $400 cause he doesnt warranty street rod/race car trannys...the police and taxi trannys he does, he only warranties for 30 days. obviously he does them right, cause he's only had 1 return in 3yrs, and that's because the cops put a 2001 crown vic tranny in a '98...2001 & up aod(e) uses a differnt valve body. i'm the only lucky guy here that gets my trannys built for free and all i have to buy is the parts. i just purchased a '90 gt for $1200 with no overdrive, he's gonna build that one for me too...i'm one blessed s.o.b. i sold my t-5 to buy aod parts
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
correct vavle lash would be about 1/4 to 1/2 additional turn once the pushrod is finger tight... or in other words pushing the plunger down about 10-30 thousanths will work.

not sure about stock being out of spec, suppose i would have the vavles reground and throw some new lifters and pushrods in there. check rockers for improper wear and replace if needed.. but im a little overkill
Was trying to quiz svt boy over there.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
dude, wtf? i'm not claim'n to know all that is stang. i do alot of reading...not just 5.0 mag...but 5.0 mag does point u in the right direction for stang specific literature...as well as some awsome articles...i did my speed density to mass air conversion from one of their articles and only got $35 in parts doin it versus the $500 swap kit in the catalogues..as for valve lash..i'm run'n stock ported heads w/ pedestal 1.7 r.r. i'm not a know it all...do wut u want wit your aod...i dont build them, my best friend does...i've been beat'n the piss outa mine for 2yrs and still shifts fine..he built it for me...so i take his advice... u dont have too. i have a 3ft. high pile of stang & ford books (not just 5.0 mag.)... my stang makes around 330hp @ crank till i decide to pull my blower outa the box...besides..u should ask bbunt that question...all seriousness, i wish i had all his literature...he is truly the stang know it all...im just a newby, this is my first stang. i'm learn'n everyday, that's y i'm on this forum...and to do a 4cyl - v8efi conversion by myself with only a haines manual..some old 5.0 mags and some other stang and ford books i bought at jegs is say'n alot for my first stang...when i get more experience i will answer your Question.
You're the one who said I got my info from a mag.... Guess we misunderstood each other :Idunno:

Oh well.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was trying to quiz svt boy over there.
sorry, couldn't help myself

guess next time i'll stay out of it

93 mustang notch
Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to stanger99

****.....im in ohio....not far from where your at...
stanger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
You're the one who said I got my info from a mag.... Guess we misunderstood each other :Idunno:

Oh well.
no, no, no...my bad...i didn't say u...i actualy meant me..i got 5.0 mag stack all the way back from '03. i was just meaning that there is a alot of ref. material on how- to's & where to find....i got some aod articles on building 4-600 h.p. capapble aod's. in refernce to wut breaks first and y. not to mention my best friend builds for a living... i got dyno books..supercharger books...material with dyno test on stock ported heads and so on...i apologize for once again... becoming unglued!!!....i just like play'n and modifyng stock parts..i love beat'n the pants off of, or not being able shake me from someone who has more money in their heads than i have in my whole motor....i.e. the time i stayed on the bumper of the porche carrera @ 140 something (my speedo goes to 160mph, after 140 i thought it would be a good idiea to just watch the road and not the speedo)...the carrera's are rated @355hp (went to dealer)...not mind blowing horsepower i admit, but it is definatley a testament to modified stock parts...wit just an e-cam, 1.7 rr, typhoon intake, 70ml t.b., stock block and bottom, 19lbs. inj., mallory adj. reg., and e7 heavily ported & lightly polished heads..that i ported from dyno book instructions. u can get 40h.p. from stock ported e7's.....the new ones i'm work'n on are some e6's, high swirl...i'm still debating if i should unshroud the valves or if it will mess up the swirl effect cause i'm drop'n a 9lbs. blower on it still in the box..i'll let yall know how that goes
Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sorry, couldn't help myself

guess next time i'll stay out of it
That's right.....

JFWY
Old 05-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the new ones i'm work'n on are some e6's, high swirl...i'm still debating if i should unshroud the valves or if it will mess up the swirl effect cause i'm drop'n a 9lbs. blower on it still in the box..i'll let yall know how that goes
The only thing I'd do with E6's is take them to the scrap yard. E7's and GT40's are a much better base to start with IMO
Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #31
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
The only thing I'd do with E6's is take them to the scrap yard. E7's and GT40's are a much better base to start with IMO
flow bench #'s on e7 & e6 is very similar...exhaust porting brings them corrects the high end choke on e6
Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger99 View Post
****.....im in ohio....not far from where your at...
reynoldsburg....by taylor / broad..edge of patascala....hit me up yo...we can kickit!!!!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

im off hard and smoky row.....powell area......def....have to check out your stang
Old 05-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #34
Titus Wadicus
Regular

[QUOTE=stanger99;400693]im off hard and smoky row.....powell area......def....have to check out your stang[/QUOTE

isn't that like northbound on sawmill...northside of 270?...or am i totaly confused?....all that i got now is a shortblock in my car...i'm get'n ready to re-ring it for the blower...hell yea, come on down...we help each other out if u r doin any mods to your car...plus just kik'n in general
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

no your not confused....north of 270.....def kikit...just holler

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT