Exhaust on 95 Mustang GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Exhaust on 95 Mustang GT

I just bought a 95 GT. It is all stock, and very quiet. I don't want something loud. I would like to do something where it is still somewhat quiet at idle and normal exeleration, but a little throaty when you get on it. Any Suggestions? I've been told that an X-pipe with the stock exhaust will give it a little more sound. does anyone know? I don't want to spend $500 on a complete new exhaust, when the current exhaust is perfectly fine.

Thanks for any Input,
Alan
MustangAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #2

Region: Illinois
Re: Exhaust on 95 Mustang GT

24 Views, and no one has any Input, suggestions, or anything??

MustangAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

The best thing I can recommend is start listening to other people's exhaust clips.

You can go to mustangexhaust.com and listen to the clips the members over there have uploaded to get a feel for what sound you want.

I would recommend finding a catback system that sounds good to you and buying it. You might not like the throaty sound at first, but believe me, it will grow on you.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

The x with or without cats will add sound. The high flow cats are nice and pass inspection and give it some sound over stock because they drop one cat on each side. Pipes has a nice x-pipe, bbk isn't bad or even MAC. If you want to go on the expensive side you can go with Bassani but thats up there in price.
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

If you don't want to spend a fortune then just replace the mufflers and call it a day - I'd recommend Magnaflows all the way.

Replacing the whole system will cost you more, and depending on what you get, you'll get different sounds:
- No cats = louder... but you probably have to worry about emmisions, so that's likely not an option for you.
- Bigger tubing = louder but more interior resonance as well.
- X/H-pipe = different sound than straight pipe.

IMO, if you're going to do it, do it all in one shot regardless of the condition of the current exhaust - I've seen a few people kick themselves for doing one thing then realize that they should've just done it all and be done with it. If you're on a budget, save up for a little bit and do everything rear of the headers.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Id go magnaflow if you dont want it too loud... and just switch out the muffs and have new ones welded in. If you're trying to stay away from loud, dont touch any chambered muffs (MAC/flows/etc)

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

MustangAl,
On my 2002 GT I wanted the same as you, I think. I called it an "adult" soun... deep, powerful, without being obnoxious. Maxi Muffler put a pair of Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers on my stock system and it turned out great. The catalytic converters tame the sound of the 2 chambers so you get a deep, throaty sound outside without the druming inside the car. As i recall the mufflers were $60.00 each and the labor was about $60.00.

Just remember if you remove the cats, it will get louder.

Good Luck,
Jim
Old 04-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT

I love how my GT sounds, BBK LT's, BBK O/R X-pipe, and Bassani cat-back
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #9

Region: South Dakota

on my 95 gt, i have a no-cat H pipe with flow 2.5 flow 40's. it has a nice healthy sound, not too loud, but sounds MEAN when you get on it
blackvert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #10

I've got BBK shorties, Catco H-Pipe w/converters and a MAC cat-back and I pass the sound restriction in Massachusetts. The high flow converters really make it tolerable at the 2000 rpm drone. Get Flowmaster Delta mufflers.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I agree with everything jwyche said. You don't want to spend alot so just have some mufflers welded into your stock system. Only you can pick the sound you like.

If you remove the cats it will get louder at idle and REALLY loud up top. SO maybe consider only removing 2 of the 4 and just switching out mufflers or get a X/H pipe with high flow cats and see how that sounds. If you want more sound drop those stock mufflers and put in a set of Flowmasters, Magnaflows, or MACs. Chambered all the way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust