selling the camaro and fixin the 79 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
selling the camaro and fixin the 79

alright so im selling my v6 camaro and plan on using the cash to fix up the 79... i basically have to option engine wise... one is buy a 4bbl intake and use the holley 650 i have or i have the intake (upper/lower), throttle body, fuel rails off an 86 GT that i could use and do and EFI conversion which is i really want to do.... so if i decided to do the EFI conversion what all would i need? i know i will be using the mass air setup because it supports mods better what all will i need?
79Ghia50Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: selling the camaro and fixin the 79

Yay, no more catfish lol.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Two things as far as wiring. Go the easy route and pick you up a full EFI 5.0 harness from painless performance products--expensive, but you know it's all new--or go to a junkyard and pick you up the parts to do it.

The rest, pretty much you'll need the manifolds, throttle body, fuel rails, fuel tank off a 5.0 so you won't have to mod it for the new pump, fuel pump, fuel lines(to and from the tank), computer can be had for less than a bill, mass air units are all over the internet, injectors, fuel pressure regulator(stock or aftermarket, i'd get a Kirban from Maximum Motorsports), umm.... anything else guys? I'm sure I've missed a ton.

Hell you might as well upgrade to the 87-93 fox dash.
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well i think i have decided to keep the camaro and my dad is most likely going to get me the cash to buy a 93 four banger with t5 tranny (dude told me $2635 cash and i can take it) and i am going to do a swap to the 5.0 with a four barrel and c4 tranny.... or i might get a 94 and was wondering if they went to standard 4wheel disc brakes in 94? and how hard is it to swap in a 5.0 into one of those because i have heard the engine bay is a little smaller in those year models
Old 05-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dude, you could get Chris's for like 1500 or so. I bet he'd take a little less. Has a 4 banger and a T5, but it will need some body work done.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i thought about that but i really want a notch, nothing against hatches, but notches are so much "sexier" lol but this one i am looking is basically mint other than the front bumper and side mirrors which need repainting. the body on it is straight and the paint is not oxidized, and the interior is extremely clean but it is going to be redone in black and leather hopefully because this is just going to be a daily driver and weekend warrior but i am going saturday to fulton to a car auction to look at a 94 that may be a GT and i might be able to get it cheaper
Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

wow I wouldnt pay 2600 for a 4 cyl thats for sure I paid a G for my car, Id look around with that amount of money you can find yourself a better fox and one with a 5.0 already in it
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I paid 2300 for my foxbody coupe 4 cylinder... that is the going rate for an excellent condition notchback.

I'd offer the guy 2 and walk away, he'll either come around or he'll call you up trying for 2300, take it home for 2200.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

most likely since he cam off the price so quick i could get it for 2300 he would be crazy not to take it especialy since it will be money in hand.... walk to him and flash 23 $100 bills and see what he does.... but this saturday like i said i am going to a car auction in Fulton to check out a 94 and if it is in at least as good of shape as the 93 and doesnt go for over 3k we might buy it instead.... not sure what will happen but i will keep everyone posted.... hopefully the 94 is a gt already and ill just have an engine i can work on during my spare time and then when i am ready drop it in there which is going to be what happens anyways because i am only going to be able to buy a few pieces each month to do the engine swap and we have decided to go ahea and do an EFI conversion and i am going to buy a typhoon intake and get the stock heads re worked and get a custom grind cam and 1.6:1 comp cam magnum roller rockers.... i am most likely fixing to go home (i am in the church parking lot using the wireless because we dont have internet at the house) and make a list of what parts i want to buy and try to plan out a budget and timeline then when i am satisfied ill post up the plan and get all you guys oppinions...
Old 05-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
wow I wouldnt pay 2600 for a 4 cyl thats for sure I paid a G for my car, Id look around with that amount of money you can find yourself a better fox and one with a 5.0 already in it
i totaly agree...i gave 750 for my '92 coupe ..just needed a bumper cover and driver fender...interior mint...dat's high as hell for a 4 banger...u can get a v-8 notch for dat...1500 bucks is my max for a 4 banger coup or hatch...i paid 1200 for this gt..needs a trans..bought it 3 weeks ago off of craigs list and bought my coupe off of ebay...i would definatley look around
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bg.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	17250   Click image for larger version

Name:	g.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	17251  

Name:	k.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	17252   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	17253  

svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

welcome to alabama brother, I haven't seen a coupe anything in mint condition like mine was for under 2K since I was 16... and thats been nearly 10 years ago!

oh and you got more ball than me to buy a car off of ebay!!!!

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to A5295

dusty, why dont you just settle with one decision... IMO, theres no way i would buy an early sn95 GT, if i had the option of a fox - they are MUCH better looking, and weigh less, too. If you want my opinion, id look into buying a 4 cyl notch somewhere, and swap in the engine, unless i found a roller GT, which would be just as good a candidate.

we talked about this the other day, but i figured id reiterate - id leave the engine carbed, for simplicity, or if i went efi, id go slowfox's route and do it RIGHT - new parts, or guaranteed good ones. FYI, the 86 mani isnt the greatest - what year car did that 5.0 you have come out of? WHich heads does it have? If they are E7's, a little work will show some improvement, but if they are E6's like mine, its best to leave them alone, unless you have the cash for some good heads. If your car has E6's stock, then you have to be careful what mods you do to the engine, as the only mustang engines to have E6's also have flat-tops, which means that unless you flycut the pistons, there is only one set of heads you can use, which are Trick Flow Twisted Wedge's if im not mistaken.

Anyway, best of luck, and keep us informed on what you decide to do!

EDIT: Speed Density FTW!!!!!!!111
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5295 View Post
dusty, why dont you just settle with one decision... IMO, theres no way i would buy an early sn95 GT, if i had the option of a fox - they are MUCH better looking, and weigh less, too. If you want my opinion, id look into buying a 4 cyl notch somewhere, and swap in the engine, unless i found a roller GT, which would be just as good a candidate.

we talked about this the other day, but i figured id reiterate - id leave the engine carbed, for simplicity, or if i went efi, id go slowfox's route and do it RIGHT - new parts, or guaranteed good ones. FYI, the 86 mani isnt the greatest - what year car did that 5.0 you have come out of? WHich heads does it have? If they are E7's, a little work will show some improvement, but if they are E6's like mine, its best to leave them alone, unless you have the cash for some good heads. If your car has E6's stock, then you have to be careful what mods you do to the engine, as the only mustang engines to have E6's also have flat-tops, which means that unless you flycut the pistons, there is only one set of heads you can use, which are Trick Flow Twisted Wedge's if im not mistaken.

Anyway, best of luck, and keep us informed on what you decide to do!
i thought u had to use special pistons for those heads..im probably wrong. i just got some e6te's myself...i ported the exhaust..the intake was already portmatched unlike the e7te's....took out twice the material on the e6 exhaust than the e7...from the research i done, it's the exhaust that hold the e6 back cause of the thermaciter humps...totaly gone now.. but they have very similar flow #'s to the e7te...i will be run'n 1.7rr..should work cause i did not have valve reliefs in my pistons run'n my e7te and e-cam....how do u like your heads compred to the e7te?
EDIT: Speed Density FTW!!!!!!!111
Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
id go slowfox's route and do it RIGHT - new parts, or guaranteed good ones.
I'm still bullitt482 on here, haven't changed it to slowfox... Speaking of that.

(peaks head out of locker) "HHHHhhhhheeeey, admin?"

*you guys know you remember "You Can't Do That on Television"*
Old 05-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to A5295

haha, my bad bullitt... have to change that somewhere else that i have posted it - you should feel special - ive referenced you twice, lol.

svtlx, ive heard the same thing, but ive also heard a little more...

check out this site - The Infamous E6TE

Ive never run E7's, so im not sure... im not a veteran mustang guy, but i do knwo what ive read, and from the way my car performs now, and what the reactions ive seen from everyone that has run ported e6's... dont expect a lot of revs from these heads, but if you're running an E-cam... you should see some improvement, but i think you'll see a lot more with a better designed head, but thats just my opinion, especially seein everything else you have done to the car.
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
I'm still bullitt482 on here, haven't changed it to slowfox... Speaking of that.

(peaks head out of locker) "HHHHhhhhheeeey, admin?"

*you guys know you remember "You Can't Do That on Television"*
hahaha, da green slime... on nickalodeon (?)
Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
welcome to alabama brother, I haven't seen a coupe anything in mint condition like mine was for under 2K since I was 16... and thats been nearly 10 years ago!

oh and you got more ball than me to buy a car off of ebay!!!!
i bought it local...money exchanged in person...lol..i'm not that crazy!!!...i know exactly wut u r say'n though!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
haha, my bad bullitt... have to change that somewhere else that i have posted it - you should feel special - ive referenced you twice, lol.

svtlx, ive heard the same thing, but ive also heard a little more...

check out this site - The Infamous E6TE

Ive never run E7's, so im not sure... im not a veteran mustang guy, but i do knwo what ive read, and from the way my car performs now, and what the reactions ive seen from everyone that has run ported e6's... dont expect a lot of revs from these heads, but if you're running an E-cam... you should see some improvement, but i think you'll see a lot more with a better designed head, but thats just my opinion, especially seein everything else you have done to the car.
yeppers, went through that one wit a fine toothed comb...but i have some stuff on e6's too...not to mention the info he already has on there bout the e-6...i talked to florida 5.0....and some other sources...i just like play'n with stock parts...i have run over 140 with a carrera with my e7's....i'm just tryn something new...i'm still debating if i should unshroud the valves or not..i think this will mess up the swirl effect.......in all actuality the exhaust is the most restrictive on e6 cause of the thermacter humps...but they have very similar flow # to the e7....e6 make more bottom torque but cant breath@ high rpm. due to the thermaciter humps....also, i wanted the slightly lower compression for my blower...they are like 62cc heads....florida 5.0 said to leave the valve unshrouding alone cause it will actualy help run'n a blower, due to the swirl effect..ima see wut happens..if not i put the e7's back on.....the intake is very open on the e6's...i had to remove quite a bit of material on the intake side of the e7's...but had to take out double the material on the e6 exhasut than i had to do on the e7's...this pic is the e6 exhaust..not a good pic at all
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drt.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	17275  
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

E6's are about as useful as the Ford 351M and 400M motors. Unless you use GOBS of parts and put tons of work in them, they are useless. E7's and/or GT40's make MUCH more sense if you are doing a budget build.

Unless you are just trying to make something from nothing or using what you have to impress others, in which that, my friend, deserves more Kudos than the rich kid throwing money at his car to make it faster You should take them to a local flowbench at a respectable speed shopto see what you got out of them before you install them on anything. It's not very expensive, and you can see exactly how much your work helped. I'd like to know what they flow when you get done
Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 PM   #20
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i read flow bench #'s...but, i don't think i have a good understanding on wut they represent..tossed the e7's, so i don't have anything to compare them to, to know if i'm goin forward or backward...i did make some corrections to the port job, of stuff i shouldn't had done to the e7's...such as removing less material from the exhaust side floor...which will give u more cfm, but less velocity-from taken out too much....so i opted remove less from the floor and take more from the ceiling...speeds up the velocity.....i was told from a few older racers that they r not bad if u know how to worke'm...basicaly wut u said...but yea, wut u guessed bout me is right....there is no other feeling like say'n....how's it feel to get your *** busted by a junk-yard motor.....u got me so pegged bullit482!!!!....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT