MSD ignition help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Unhappy MSD ignition help

I have a 93 gt that I recently installed a complete MSD setup consisting of a 6AL-BTM box, Pro-Billit dist., TFI blaster ciol and harness,and 8.5 super conductor wires. the problem I am having is every time i start my car it skips for about a minute or two then it runs like a champ. Every thing is hooked up right and it does this everytime i start it up. No matter if it is hot or cold. Also when it rains or I wash my car it skips and runs rich untill my car dries off. The ignition system is not getting wet and everythingis brand new. Please help me.
blown347ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: MSD ignition help

check your battery, it may be slightly low...then gets up when the alternator starts charging....also, check your plug gap...when using a msd box and coil it demands more electricity, so if u got alot of gap in the plug, it will need more electricity. 3-5 thousandths reduction in plug gap will make a huge difference in power demand...i would start with stock gap...then, gradually degap till it goes away "3 thousanths increments"..............i realy think u got a battery problem though.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Why would the plug "demand" more power for spark? The ignition box puts out a set amount voltage and that's it. It doesn't adjust for spark gap.

I used to have the same problem. Do you have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? It might be leaking. My aeromotive crapped out on me and made the car hard to start until it built up pressure. Also sounds like you might have a bad ground. Are you sure that water isn't getting near any of your connections? Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do. I'd try one thing at a time to try and fix it, and go from there.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Why would the plug "demand" more power for spark? The ignition box puts out a set amount voltage and that's it. It doesn't adjust for spark gap.

I used to have the same problem. Do you have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? It might be leaking. My aeromotive crapped out on me and made the car hard to start until it built up pressure. Also sounds like you might have a bad ground. Are you sure that water isn't getting near any of your connections? Sounds like you have some troubleshooting to do. I'd try one thing at a time to try and fix it, and go from there.

Let me know how it goes.
YEP, LISTEN TO THE ELECTRICAL ENGINEER...HE KNOWS HIS ****
Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Now here it is you are making sarcastic negative comments in another thread. Contribute or don't post as you say.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Now here it is you are making sarcastic negative comments in another thread. Contribute or don't post as you say.
rrrrr!!! that was me tranfering anger from one thread to another which i know is a "no-no" round these here parts......i apologize for the instant ******* attitude, buy i still think u r wrong on the whole plug gap thing....do you remember those adverstisments a few years back for msd that said, "now you can run a whopping 70 thousandths plug gap!".....well, my dumb *** tried it while run'n a stock 75 amp alt. i couldn't figure out why the battery wouldn't stay charged. i called jegs and told them how the box was wired up, after thirty minutes of questions he asked me what gap i was runnning the plugs at. i told him, and he said to decrease the gap back to stock or lower. i did this and i had no problems with the battery anymore. i run a 130 amp now, so it's not as crucial anymore. but anyway, that's where my logic came from on that guys question.......again i apologize for being the immature one here.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Guys, theres nothing wrong with having more than one person throwing ideas out there, if its not a battery problem and ends up being a fuel problem, then both of your ideas were involved in trouble shooting the problem. Chillax for reals!`

2 heads is better than 1, right?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Guys, theres nothing wrong with having more than one person throwing ideas out there, if its not a battery problem and ends up being a fuel problem, then both of your ideas were involved in trouble shooting the problem. Chillax for reals!`

2 heads is better than 1, right?

i understand wut u r say'n, but we got off topic on a plug gap--electrical draw debate...didn't have alot to do wit that guys problem.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
rrrrr!!! that was me tranfering anger from one thread to another which i know is a "no-no" round these here parts......i apologize for the instant ******* attitude, buy i still think u r wrong on the whole plug gap thing....do you remember those adverstisments a few years back for msd that said, "now you can run a whopping 70 thousandths plug gap!".....well, my dumb *** tried it while run'n a stock 75 amp alt. i couldn't figure out why the battery wouldn't stay charged. i called jegs and told them how the box was wired up, after thirty minutes of questions he asked me what gap i was runnning the plugs at. i told him, and he said to decrease the gap back to stock or lower. i did this and i had no problems with the battery anymore. i run a 130 amp now, so it's not as crucial anymore. but anyway, that's where my logic came from on that guys question.......again i apologize for being the immature one here.
Ok. We are on the same page we, just didn't know it.

1. The reason they say you can run more gap is because there is more electrons that have to cross that gap to complete the circuit, i.e. since there is more power/voltage there, you can run a larger gap. Think scifi movies with the big metal things with electricity pulsing between them. Now think when you touch something metal and you shock yourself. The reason you don't shock your hand on the doorknob from across the room is because the gap is so great and it takes a lot more electrons to complete the "circuit".

2. The reason that he said to lower the gap and the reason that the battery would not stay charged is not because the MSD was not "adjusting" itself, it's because it just takes less energy to pass electrons over a smaller gap than a larger one. So when it was trying so hard to run the gap, it was sucking more juice to try and complete it. Well, I guess in a way it does adjusts itself, but not in the way like a computer does it.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

bullitt,
i wasn't refering to adjustment, just the increased load on the electrical system from increased plug gap. sooo, in a round about way, u r say'n i'm right ....haha, i knew i wasn't a complete dumb ***. anyway, who said anything about adjustments? ....anyways, thanks for validating my point....you explained it better than i could have.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
bullitt,
i wasn't refering to adjustment, just the increased load on the electrical system from increased plug gap. sooo, in a round about way, u r say'n i'm right ....haha, i knew i wasn't a complete dumb ***. anyway, who said anything about adjustments? ....anyways, thanks for validating my point....you explained it better than i could have.
Yeah, after re re re re explaining to myself in my head, and after posting it, you're right. We were on the same page, I just didn't know it.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 AM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, after re re re re explaining to myself in my head, and after posting it, you're right. We were on the same page, I just didn't know it.
dude, we've gone back and fourth so much, where the hell did the guy go that had the problem to start with?....o well, we had fun anyway.....i didn't realize it before, but bickering with u is actually pretty fun....make'n an enemy outa you is totaly stupid, cause you make a way better bicker/banter buddy...lol
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My point of view exactly. I have always seemed to learn more from a debate than anything else, because I'm forced to do research to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

Any update on your problem bud????
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT