Blew my bottom end up (kind of)... its rebuild time. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Re: Blew my bottom end up (kind of)... its rebuild time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
331, or did they fix the oiling issues on the 347 stroker kits
MAUHAHAHAHAHAH Aaaaaaahhh HAHAHA... oh wow, thanks for the laugh.

Yes, they fixed the oiling issues, that once existed, with one maker, and one kit.. that got blown way out of perportion.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
I dunno maybe someone can touch on this but arent you gonna put that Kennebell on once you have the full kit?

wouldnt going with a 331/347 be a bad move esp since you wanna go with FI?
NO

if you plan on staying N/A then 347 would be the way to go, you'll wanna spin it a little less, but the torque pays off.. and you can't beat that for FREE!

I understand that a 331 will spin a little higher typically depending on the maker, and will do it a lil faster, which is all really moot. most people like 331's for the increased piston skirt and more material on the top of the piston when boost is in the plans.. especially since you'll be needing to remove some of that material from the piston to get that CR under control!, i've seen pleanty of 347 pictures missing the top rings and ringlands up on the piston because of that lil problem!, but thats all about tuning right?

93 mustang notch
Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut95 View Post
The only thing you have to watch out for on a 347 is that there is more rod angle and it will wear out piston pins and rod bearings quicker....i would go with a 331 but thats just my opinion
piston rod angle has nothing to do with nothing, epsecially a since verly large amount of modern engines have WAAY more piston/rod angle than a 347 does and typically last 200-300K miles that way. specifically alot of cheby engines are this way. if you don't believe me head on over to hardcore50 and post this same argument.

the only thing you really need to be watchful of with either the 331 or the 347 is the design of the piston, particularly if the wrist pin intersects the ring lands. don't care what anybody says, thats asking for trouble

now with that said, rod angle does matter... it comes down to what you wanna do with the car, but it has no effect on longevity.

93 mustang notch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
piston rod angle has nothing to do with nothing, epsecially a since verly large amount of modern engines have WAAY more piston/rod angle than a 347 does and typically last 200-300K miles that way. specifically alot of cheby engines are this way. if you don't believe me head on over to hardcore50 and post this same argument.

the only thing you really need to be watchful of with either the 331 or the 347 is the design of the piston, particularly if the wrist pin intersects the ring lands. don't care what anybody says, thats asking for trouble

now with that said, rod angle does matter... it comes down to what you wanna do with the car, but it has no effect on longevity.
That is a HUGE ****ING plus one. The next time I hear, "Watch out for the bottom of the piston coming too far out of cylinder on a 347" I'll go ****ing nuts.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #40
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

UPDATE!!!

Well after a month of my car sitting in KC, I called them and they said I will most likely need a rod bearing or other bearing type things in the lower end. I decided to get it towed back to Lawrence and do the stuff myself with the help of some friends, and when I got the car... it would not knock for the life of it. It sat there, idled fine, no noise... nothing. So I said, what the hell... lemme go beat the **** out of it and see if it comes back. So for the first time in a month I drove the car, and beat the living hell out of the thing. Slamming through the gears, up to 6200 RPMs or so... just beating the **** out of it. Pull back into the driveway, and nothing. Everythigns good with the exception of slightly lower oil pressure.

One of my buddies decides to ride along with me, so I beat the **** out of it again while he listens to see if he can hear anything... and thats when we heard it. It the middle of my shifts, it almost sounded like a blow-off valve during a rape session... it had a sort of fluttery noise that was only heard during shifts. So we beat on it some more, and it gets louder and louder.

We park the car, let it sit there sounding terrible and get a stethoscope out and start listening to different areas... valve covers, oil pan, top of the motor, etc. After 10 minutes of doing that, we still can't pinpoint where its coming from, so we shut the car off for 10 minutes or so. Once we restarted it, there was nothing... no noises whatsoever. Now, if it was a bearing of some sort... theres not way the oil would have cooled off and thickened up in 10 minutes of sitting there, so another friend of mine gets in the car and starts slipping the clutch and putting a load on it/taking load off. About 5 minutes of that, and the noise comes back.

So instead of pulling the whole motor, tomorrow we're going to pull the transmission out and check on the clutch... see if it might just be destroyed or seperated, or something like that, and just hope that it is. I need to pull the trans anyway because my rear main seal leaks pretty bad and causes low oil, which I believe in return is the culprit of my low oil pressure problem. So hopefully this can get it back on the road without a complete rebuild of the motor... even though I was looking forward to a 331/347 stroker

Anyway, wish me luck that its something simple like a busted clutch, cause that would make my day.

Cliff notes: Cars bottom end "seems" to ok, possibly a clutch problem.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #41
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

good luck.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Haha I would much rather replace a seal/cutch than the whole motor. You must be somewhat relieved.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #43
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
Haha I would much rather replace a seal/cutch than the whole motor. You must be somewhat relieved.
yes and no... if it turns out to be the problem, then yeah... if not, then i have no ****in clue whats wrong with it.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #44
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

TIme to buy super clutch!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

good stuff have fun tomorrow
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like piston slap/broken ring. the best of luck, BTDTBTFS

93 mustang notch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT