Need some help with my 84 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #1

Region: Iowa
Need some help with my 84

I just bought a 84 5.0 convert, CFI, AOD. I hate the CFI and would like to convert to a Holley carb. I know I'll have to switch the gas tank and fuel pump. Can I just disconnect the EEC and run a Mallory dist (or get an older Duraspark distrubutor and brain). Anyone here done this? Also, recommendations on headers? I see alot of the companies offer shorties for 86 on up, what's the difference? Anyone know why they aren't listed for 79 on up?
Thanks,
Matt
mattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
Re: Need some help with my 84

Not sure about the fuel delivery conversion, but as far as the exhaust goes, you can use any headers on your car made for a 79-93 Stang with a 5.0L.

The reason they say 86-93 is because that's the years the cars came with dual exaust, not a Y-pipe - in order to run dual exhaust on your 84 you'll need to pick up one of Ford's double-hump tranny crossmembers or you won't be able to run the exhaust without the passenger side pipe almost touching the ground. You can buy them anywhere - I just linked to Jegs because that's where I got mine from, but looking back, I could've just bought it locally if I'd looked around though.

I bought a set of ceramic coated Hedman E/L shorties for my 83 and they're great IMO. My car's still mostly stock and I'm not making huge power, so longtubes aren't needed at this point.

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
The reason they say 86-93 is because that's the years the cars came with dual exaust, not a Y-pipe - in order to run dual exhaust on your 84 you'll need to pick up one of Ford's double-hump tranny crossmembers

I got mine at at a local junk yard for like 15 buck you might want to look in to that

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydog View Post
I got mine at at a local junk yard for like 15 buck you might want to look in to that
Good call. You can do that too

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #5

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to 84vert Send a message via Yahoo to 84vert

use the proform gm type hei dist for it....simple 1-wire hookup for the power source. useing this on my 84 vert that i changed over from a 3.8 v6.
84vert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT