Redueing My 94 Gt Convert - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #1

Redueing My 94 Gt Convert

I'm redueing my 94 GT....from top to bottom. I do have a few questions that maybe you people can help me with.
First I want to upgrade to Corbra brakes. Ford Racing has the upgrade package which they list as M-2300-Q.. they seem to want to sell me the Master Cylinder..which looks like whats on the car to begin with.
This dosen't make alot of sence to me unless this M/C is completely different somehow. Do I really need this, or can I use the M/C thats on the car now?

Next question has to do with a crate engine. The car has 180K and still runs good....but it is tired...
I was looking at the Ford 345hp GT-40..this is basically a drop in replacement, and by all accounts should be an easy swap.
I have read thru all the postings on this sight before posting this....there is one post that says these motors don't put out anywere near this power..and also use the Hyper pistons.
I'm not sure why Ford racing would tell there Mustang owners that HP rating if they really can't get it???
Yes it does have the Hyper pistons...but isn't that what came in the stock 94 GT anyway?????
Yes it would be nice to have Forged pistons....but the price is right for this motor..about $3800.
I don't want to go nuts with a motor..it's a daily driver....I just want to keep up with the new 300hp GT's that are on the road now...(well OK..I'd like to beat them..LOL)

I have the stock 8.8 rear with probably the 2.73 gears..not that 3.08 is alot quicker to begin with. By the way..this is the stock 5 speed.

I may consider going with a 3.7 rear gear....but the way gas prices are...LOL
Even with the stock engine and 2.7 gears....around town gas mileage is not great. Highway is good..if you can just cruse in 5th...
The Gas consumtion is not REALLY a major concern...but I'd hate to drop to like 10 MPG or something...LOL

I "assume"..this crate engine will rev to 6K without any problems...I don't push my stock one past 5k anymore.

The car already has been lowered with Tokico shocks all around and some urithene bushings. I changed the front rotors with "dimpled" ones..I forget from who..with Hawk pads all around...this was done a while ago.
And yes you do have to watch out for dips in the road. If this car didn't have a big steel crossmember under the oil pan...I would not HAVE an oil pan!
I do have the 17" rims on this (stock Ford) with new Kumho 245/45-17 on them. The car dose handle REAL well.
To be honest..this suspension probably saved me from a MAJOR accident on the parkway the other day...some guy went sideways (big Olds)across the parkway at 70mph...right into my lane....I stood on the brakes..the abs was kicking back like crazy...I had to do a violent lane change...basically a lane and a half..and only missed him by inches. I doubt Cobra brakes could have stopped in time anyway....but i also think if I had a stock suspension on this.....I would have never been able to make that violent of a turn...and could have flipped the car....not good in a convert...LOL
From this ...I'm also putting in a roll bar.
I'm going to replace all the rear upper and lower control arms with parts from Maximum Motor sports.(which is who I got the lowering springs and shocks and stuff from before) plus also replace the front lower control arm..from Ford Racing..to upgrade to the 2003 Cobra type. Part # 161-M-3075-D.

Sorry for the long post, but thought you should have all the info.
bobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Redueing My 94 Gt Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt View Post
I'm redueing my 94 GT....from top to bottom. I do have a few questions that maybe you people can help me with.
First I want to upgrade to Corbra brakes. Ford Racing has the upgrade package which they list as M-2300-Q.. they seem to want to sell me the Master Cylinder..which looks like whats on the car to begin with.
This dosen't make alot of sence to me unless this M/C is completely different somehow. Do I really need this, or can I use the M/C thats on the car now?
Yes, you need the master cylinder. The stock fox one won't cut it with the 4-wheel disc brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt
Next question has to do with a crate engine. The car has 180K and still runs good....but it is tired...
I was looking at the Ford 345hp GT-40..this is basically a drop in replacement, and by all accounts should be an easy swap.
I have read thru all the postings on this sight before posting this....there is one post that says these motors don't put out anywere near this power..and also use the Hyper pistons.
I'm not sure why Ford racing would tell there Mustang owners that HP rating if they really can't get it???
Yes it does have the Hyper pistons...but isn't that what came in the stock 94 GT anyway?????
Yes it would be nice to have Forged pistons....but the price is right for this motor..about $3800.
I don't want to go nuts with a motor..it's a daily driver....I just want to keep up with the new 300hp GT's that are on the road now...(well OK..I'd like to beat them..LOL)
I wouldn't buy the crate motor personally. You can build a much nicer motor for cheaper. You could get a set of AFR heads ($1300), an intake ($500) and a cam ($325 for a custom) that will blow that engine out of the water. With the remaining $1675, you can rebuild the bottom end and get all of the supporting parts (MAF, TB, injectors) to support the extra power.

Quote:
I have the stock 8.8 rear with probably the 2.73 gears..not that 3.08 is alot quicker to begin with. By the way..this is the stock 5 speed.

I may consider going with a 3.7 rear gear....but the way gas prices are...LOL
Even with the stock engine and 2.7 gears....around town gas mileage is not great. Highway is good..if you can just cruse in 5th...
The Gas consumtion is not REALLY a major concern...but I'd hate to drop to like 10 MPG or something...LOL
My H/C/I 5.0 gets around 22 mpg on the highway and 17 in the city. It makes right around 300 rwhp with the aforementioned AFR heads and has 3.73s. Get the 3.73s.

Quote:
I "assume"..this crate engine will rev to 6K without any problems...I don't push my stock one past 5k anymore.
Yes, thereabout. I usually shift mine at around 6k. It would pull longer, but I don't want to risk valve float, which is pretty easy to do with a hydraulic roller.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #3

I already have 4 wheel disk.....on the 94....so thats why I asked....

Thats why it dosent seem to make sence...........It's not a Fox or 93 type setup.......the M/C looks just like mine.....so whats the difference?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #4

yeah as far as the engine goes.....the 2200 in parts...mean I need to rebuild the engine.
Which means I have to have the block hot tanked.....the bores recut..plus pistons..BLAH, BLAH.......so thats not cheap.......it may cost more then the 3800 for the crate motor......I'm not sure on the cost of any of this
But if they say(Ford) that this engine puts out 340HP........and it's a drop in...that kind of works for me....... I'm just looking for the easiest motor swap I can find......
Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

I'm with bbunt 200 percent. :yup:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT