Car still runs after key is turned off and removed....... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #1

Car still runs after key is turned off and removed.......

this is an 88 mustang GT first of all......I am having some probs, and need a little bit of help. i can start the car and the car will run and drive fine, but where the problem lies is when i get somewhere, and turn it off, remove the key and the car still runs like it does normally(not dieseling). I have looked online and found it may be a solenois, or an Ignition switch, replaced both of them, and it si still doing it. The last time i shut the car off prior to this posting, i let the clutch out and choked it to stop it, and when i was getting out of the car, i noticed my gauge needles were jumping like there was some electricity still going through it.....Please Help me!!!!
ShortBusKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Car still runs after key is turned off and removed.......

Are you carb or fuel injected. If you are carb then your charging circuit is shorting out some where and keeping juice to the ignition. I've only seen it happen on carbed cars/trucks but it could be happening to the fuel injected to.

The easy way is wire in a toggle switch to the small hot wire on the alternator and put a quick disconnect on the battery post and turn both switches off and it will kill the engine.

But something is definitely wired wrong.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 AM   #3

Region: New Jersey

I had a simular problem on my 2001 f-150...we found a leak in the windshield that was going into the fuse box. We never saw any water ourselves. Just a posessed truck. It would sometimes stay on or the radio would stay on or all the lights would stay on even if you took the key out of ignition. I would disconnect the battery until we found the problem.
Good luck!
94 GT Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I've seen this problem before on cars with an MSD ing system. And multi wire alt. The cure is to put diode in line of the switched 12 volt wire on the alt so it doesn't backfeed current to the MSD box.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

it is fuel injected and i dont have an msd ignition, and the car was fine until one day it just started doing this.......not sure what the problem is, and i ended up replacing the ignition switch and solenoid, but its still doin it. the car isnt having issues with draining the battery, as i thought the same thing, so i disconnected the battery until i could figure it out only connecting it when i needed to drive, but forgot the last few nights and havent had a dead battery...so unsure of where to get started as of yet......Wiring is not really a strong suit of mine, lol
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

david blaine aint got **** on ur skills!
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Well if it isn't killing the battery take and put a toggle switch inline of the hot for the coil and turn it off to kill the motor. Or rewire the hot for the coil into a wire that does shut off with the key.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I can imagine you have some type of wiring short issue or a bad ground that is causing this problem. Take this to a certified mechanic that you can trust.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
I can imagine you have some type of wiring short issue or a bad ground that is causing this problem. Take this to a certified mechanic that you can trust.

Yeah that is what it is looking like is gonna happen.....Thanks for all the help everybody, gonna have a friend check it out
Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

yeah, there are I believe 3 different relays that would have to be energized for this to happen (stock), let us know what ends up being the culprit, but as you have replaced the ignition it makes me thinks that there is a + volt rail getting power somewhere it shouldn't (like shorted to constant hot)

ever tried to let it continue to run to see how long it takes to die? I wonder if the fuel pump is also staying on.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
yeah, there are I believe 3 different relays that would have to be energized for this to happen (stock), let us know what ends up being the culprit, but as you have replaced the ignition it makes me thinks that there is a + volt rail getting power somewhere it shouldn't (like shorted to constant hot)

ever tried to let it continue to run to see how long it takes to die? I wonder if the fuel pump is also staying on.

If the fuel pump cuts off the engine will die almost immediately. I would imagine it is running.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #12

Region: Ohio
I had this same issue happen to me, today.. The car kept running, but key was turned off and removed. I had JUST finished installing some GT tail lights and in the process, I unplugged the inertia switch. I plugged it back in, but when I did, I inadvertently pressed in the red button and it stayed pressed in. I was able to shut the car off by unplugging it again. When I noticed the button was stuck pressed in, I popped it out with an eyeglass screwdriver and my car is back to normal. To be sure this was the problem, I started the car and I pressed the button in again and held it and had a friend shut off the ignition and once again, the car continued running.. I'm not sure how this happened.. I thought the button being pressed was supposed to kill the fuel pump in an emergent situation.. Mine appears to be faulty, so I ordered a new one.. This may or may not be the cause of your situation, but you might want to check it out.
mxmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A few other things you should check are the EEC relay & its wiring.The EEC relay energizes the ecm,injectors,fuel pump relay,etc when the key is turned on.As long as the relay stays energized,the engine is gonna continue to run since the relay is still supplying power to the ecm,fuel pump relay & injectors.The relay could be defective,stuck in the on position.When a relay goes bad,it will either not come on at all or stay on all the time,so test the EEC relay.
One of the wires tied into the eec relay could also be shorted,supplying power to the relay even when the key is turned off.This wire should only be hot when the key is on,so if it stays hot when you turn the key off,you know its shorted.The diagrams shown below will help trace it.
Whatever is causing the engine to continue running with the key turned off has to be somehow tied into the ignition & fuel system,since both of those systems have to remain powered up,in order to keep the engine running,so its gotta be something that controls or powers both systems.Example:: if the fuel pump relay was stuck on,it would keep the fuel pump running but it wouldn't affect the ignition system, so in otherwords the engine would die because the ignition system would shut down when the key is turned off.The EEC relay is tied into both systems,so when its powered up both systems will still be functioning,allowing the engine to run.The red/Lt green wire is tied into the ignition switch, 20 ga fusible link,coil,tfi module, EEC relay,etc,so it supplies ignition on power to the components needed to run the engine.

When you said you replaced the ignition switch,you do mean the plastic/metal part mounted to the steering column by two bolts & not the ignition key lock cylinder right??I'm only asking because you'd be surprised how many people get the two parts confused when you say ignition switch.The contacts inside the switch can also short & cause your issues.That's why I was making sure.The harness itself can also short leading to the same problem.
Hopefully this info hasn't confused you in the way I worded it & maybe it'll give you a few things to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEC-FP_RELAYS (1).JPG
Views:	280
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	197624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif
Views:	879
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	197625  

XE276HR .544" .544"
Flowtech 1 3/4"
Prochamber w FM
wbrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT