rear sway, or panhard bar? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to A5295
rear sway, or panhard bar?

Im looking to spend some money in the very near future... Ive already decided that im gonna be doing some exhaust (mac offroad H, and Magnaflow cat-back) and im going with a set of MM XL Subframes, and either the MM Panhard Bar, or a rear sway, like the one from MM, or Competition Engineering http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...49716_-1_10079

I also found this one from addco: http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/0/020/020-597.jpg

Im looking to maximize my cars performance, and still stay in my solo2 ESP class... Which would i get more out of, the panhard bar, or the rear sway?

oh, one more thing - the car is stock, save for my 5 lug conversion, and the soon to go on C springs

thanks!
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: rear sway, or panhard bar?

A panhard bar is much harder to install than a rear sway bar and you have to worry with exhaust clearing it etc etc.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

panhard bar? my car was a 4 banger and i just installed a rear sway bar with upper & lower control arms....someday me and my budget will graduate to panhards..lol
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

hey mike, i thought you said you weren't going to mod the mustang once you got it? haha
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
hey mike, i thought you said you weren't going to mod the mustang once you got it? haha

+1

Anyways, if you are getting just an h pipe, I'd get a BBK or something else, unless MAC has changed any, which from our discussions here, haven't. The driver's side flange will have to be retightened over and over, since you still have the stock exhaust mani's on it. And if you ever have to take it off and do it again, it'll leak, just like it did on the Bullitt(if you'll recall). I know the other company's out there are a tad more expensive but you get what you pay for. Just ask anyone on the site . I'd go with some BBK headers and H or X pipe. They are cake to put on as long as you don't go with equals(which are pointless IMO).
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
A panhard bar is much harder to install than a rear sway bar and you have to worry with exhaust clearing it etc etc.
Yup. You have to actually center the rear chunk before you install the panhard. It's not too hard from what I've heard(can't say I have experience), but it's time consuming getting all the measurements. The hardest part is getting a hand on a lift, but I know you already have that part covered. I'd do some research, or just have Wade at southernspeed do it if you're lazy, but knowing you, you'll do it.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

spectorV, as far as ease of install, Its not something that bothers me too much... Ive got access to a shop and lifts and such, so ive got pretty much anything i would need to install it.

svtlx, I know what you mean.... Money is tight for me too, i just scratch pennies, and put in a lot of financial aid applications, lol. Ive got a grant thats paying for my school and books, so the rest will be money that i can use toward something else. Ask any of the rest of these guys- I have never been able to put money into any of my cars until about the last couple of years.

Y2E0L0L5OGWT, Kiss my ***, lol. Having a DD like the corolla helped in changing my mind somewhat - besides, according to some, even with all that, my car will be "stock with suspension" he who used said term shall remain nameless...

bullitt482, I have been looking into it, but i found the mac that I'm talkin about cheap (on torqueaddicts), and have someone who could mod it to work, but i have just learned that i know someone who can get me both mac and magnaflow at either cost or close to it, so im waiting to see what he comes up with. Given that i only have a budget of about a grand, Im probably gonna hold off on headers until i see what happens money-wise. The tubular manis arent that bad, anyway, least thats what ive heard.

You can bet your *** i'll do it - I dont trust anyone to work on my car. Id rather be the one ****in up stuff, lol.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

The install is not just bolt up and drive, anyone can do it but it takes time and you have to measure and all sorts of fun stuff so be prepared. You can read the install how to on MM's site to see what all it takes so you can be ready to spend the time it needs on it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5295 View Post
Y2E0L0L5OGWT, Kiss my ***, lol. Having a DD like the corolla helped in changing my mind somewhat - besides, according to some, even with all that, my car will be "stock with suspension" he who used said term shall remain nameless...
You sure that wasn't me???

Hell, if a mustang has gears, pulleys, exhaust, and CAI, I still consider it stock. Not stone stock, but stock .
Old 07-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

thats exactly who it was... Sometimes, its the other stuff you dont consider that really changes the nature of a car - the correct suspension setup can make a big difference.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5295 View Post
thats exactly who it was... Sometimes, its the other stuff you dont consider that really changes the nature of a car - the correct suspension setup can make a big difference.
Oh, I consider it. . It's just a matter of perspective. Kind of like the whole "cam only" discussion for LS1/LT1 guys...
Old 07-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Just my opinion, but unless you're going to be really hard core racing, or just want the darn thing because they're cool, you could keep it really simple and go pretty fast.
If you haven't already added them, be sure you have sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, really top quality adjustable struts & shocks, and some autocross only tires. Urethane bushings throughout and the seams welded added a lot to the handling of my little car, coupled with the basics.
Good Luck,
Jim
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

[QUOTE=A5295;

bullitt482, I have been looking into it, but i found the mac that I'm talkin about cheap (on torqueaddicts), and have someone who could mod it to work, but i have just learned that i know someone who can get me both mac and magnaflow at either cost or close to it, so im waiting to see what he comes up with. Given that i only have a budget of about a grand, Im probably gonna hold off on headers until i see what happens money-wise. The tubular manis arent that bad, anyway, l

wutever u do, stay away from mac headers. i got a heat warped set i can send u for free. i got bbk off road x pipe, and mac after cat. i love the mac mufflers way better than my flowmasters. i got some no name brand headers off of ebay that beat the pants off of those macs. i like most mac stuff, but the headers are definatley a step down, go with anything but mac headers
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT