cam swap - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Aaron mick is a comp rep
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #37
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: cam swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
I would not purchase an a alphabet can personally, their design is from the early nineties. If you want an off the shelf grind, grab something split duration like a trick flow cam. If you ate willing to spend a little, talk to comp or go custom. I would not waste my money on an alphabet cam.
yup, the m.e. age old cam argument...."to alphabet or not to alphabet...that is the question".
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Of and always check piston to valve clearance when installing a camshaft. I don't care what idiot told you it will fit, every set up is different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #39
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
If you want good cam advice go to cpg nation and join their forum. Aaron Mick is a tech there and will give you the best off the shelf cam for your application. Tell him exactly what you are doing and he will take care of you. Is this going into a 4.6. If so remember we have piston to valve contact issues so choose wisely or you are going to have to rebuild engine
wutok, im lost, i though we were talkn pushrod motors.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedblue65 View Post
I would not purchase an a alphabet can personally, their design is from the early nineties. If you want an off the shelf grind, grab something split duration like a trick flow cam. If you ate willing to spend a little, talk to comp or go custom. I would not waste my money on an alphabet cam.
just curious,why would you not choose the alpha cams?(serious question),will they not make any more power with better heads and intake,or just the early 90's design?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
wutok, im lost, i though we were talkn pushrod motors.
me too?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #42
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL View Post
just curious,why would you not choose the alpha cams?(serious question),will they not make any more power with better heads and intake,or just the early 90's design?
i think the argument with alphabet cams is the fact that they are single pattern (intake and exhaust lift the same & duration on both sides the same). newer design cams are split/dual pattern. better for efficiency typicaly. some companies have split/dual ratio rocker arms they sell in order to tune a single pattern cam...or to further tune a split/dual pattern cam.

example....e-cam

.498 intake .498 exhaust

.498 intake w/1.6rr .529 exhaust w/1.7rr

you have the same cam, but you've turned it to a split pattern cam but tuning it with rocker arms.

the anti-alphabet cam argument...

however, the other side of the coin is....just buy a split pattern cam to start with and use a single (or same) ratio rocker arms.

everyone has different stuff they like for different reasons. personaly, i like my e-cam w/1.7rr and 11psi of boost. it works for me, for the budget i had to work with at the time i put the set-up together (over several years). at the time i was rockn gt40p heads, and you cant run more than .498-.500 max lift without the valves getting intamate with the pistons. jeg's was sell'n e-cams for cheap, and i was anxious to try get to 300hp flywheel. between the used explorer motor, 01' taurus 24lbs inj., the e-cam, i may have had $600 tied up in it. you do wutever your budget permits for your set-up goals.

i hope this helped.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Well put. I'm not trying to say you can't make good power with an alphabet cam but there are better options, even in the same price range. I would go trick flow or comp our custom personally.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

i decided on the b303,because it seemed to be the cheapest way to go for now,well it was kinda decided for me,a guy called today and said he had one with only a couple dyno runs on it for $75 bucks,then he switched to an x cam
Old 12-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #45
Titus Wadicus
Regular

oooh...ok. b cam it is then. it'll be lopey. you may like it, i know sum guys swear by the b-cam.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT