cam swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
cam swap

i am wanting to add a cam swap to my christmas list.What are the bare minimums as far as supplies?(the dreaded e303 cam)i want that big lope to go with the rest of the car,unless there are better suggestions?do you HAVE to change rocker arms etc.?thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: cam swap

ive heard the E303 is good for sound but... if you want power there are better ways.

I also would not just do a cam, you should do heads/intakes/cam all at the same time so they all match up.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
ive heard the E303 is good for sound but... if you want power there are better ways.

I also would not just do a cam, you should do heads/intakes/cam all at the same time so they all match up.
I would wait for heads and intakes as well. You could finish up the bolt ons for now.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I believe the e cam requires some additional parts....it's too early in the am for me to list them, the brain isn't working yet.

However, the b303 cam will lope quite a bit and can just be put in as is without rocker issues and what not. I am putting that one in my 5.0 swap while the motor is out as well.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other

B303 IMO sounds better

I had one of these and it sounded awesome.... the E303 is much milder sounding..

If your going for sound!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

if youre using stock heads stick with the e-303 cam, great cam !!! but swap the intake since its gotta' come off anyway
Old 12-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies!I have been thinkin about the b303 as well,just not sure yet,and I am trying to get a gt40 intake as we speak in trade for a set of gears that i have,and as for the heads,i am thinkin about the thumper heads out of florida.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

I think you would be much happier with the b303, my 351w has one and when it was in the 1ton duelly it rocked the truck good enough to make the dancing hula girl on the dash dance pretty good LOL. Of corse it had solid motor/tranny mounts
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL
Thanks for all the replies!I have been thinkin about the b303 as well,just not sure yet,and I am trying to get a gt40 intake as we speak in trade for a set of gears that i have,and as for the heads,i am thinkin about the thumper heads out of florida.
I run the e cam in mine but I have port heads, and comp intake. On cold start it real lumpy. I'm not sure the specs of the lobe lifts but idle hunts from 700rpm to1200rpm until car settles. Also sounds better no cats
KMP90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Your buying a cam just for sound??
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I am not buying a cam only for the sound of it,but the b303 after researching has the best sound to me as well as the specs i am looking for.Should i have to change anything besides the cam,lifters,gaskets,etc.?Thanks for any input
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

a "b" cam really? it's like the most inefficient cam outa all the alphabet cams (according to the rules in my mind). throw in a "e" cam wit sum 1.7rr if u want lopey stuff wit good output. e cams are i think .498 lift...and when you add 1.7rr it brings your lift to 529. i cant remember wut the duration is. but thats wut i run wit a blower and im pretty happy.

i would advise upgrading your valve springs if your plan'n on a cam swap. and your definatley gonna need a top end gasket kit. the lifters will b fine. you also my consider upgrading your rear end ratio. however, it may not b a big deal if you stay with a "b" cam.

im prolly forget'n sum stuff, but im sure someone else here will tell you wut else you need.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

my plan is to upgrade to 3.73 gears at the same time as the cam swap,in your honest opinion what would be the best cam(with the lope),for a n/a engine?I am not planning on an expensive head/intake setup,most likely just gt40 stuff.Thats the biggest reason for me wanting the b cam,because i have been told it is one of the easiest/cheapest cam swaps out there.I am really wanting more tourque than hp(i know thats not really what the b cam is for),but they do sound awesome.I will never be able to afford a turbo or sc,so i am just trying to build a stoplight to stoplight car,for the fun of it ,as well as driving it daily if need be.Thanks for any input
Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

373 gears out back...f303 nice chopy sound very good cam.an is good for turbo or supercharger ..i had the f cam an 373 an belive me is good an ull be happy wit the cam
juced302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juced302 View Post
373 gears out back...f303 nice chopy sound very good cam.an is good for turbo or supercharger ..i had the f cam an 373 an belive me is good an ull be happy wit the cam
if he is think'n bout a blower.. the "e" or even the "b" is better than the "F". if he is stay'n all motor than the "f" is good, but the duration on the "f" makes it not that great fo power adders....that's if he is goin in dat direction. less duration is always better for turbo and s/c. but if your stayn all motor.. i guesse "f" is good. i chose the "e" for duration and still a bit of lopiness. keep n mind that the "b", "e", and "f"..and i believe all the alphabet cams are single pattern cams. which means they all very lopey. some just more than others. the higher up the alphabet you go..generaly the more valve overlap you get (cam lope/ lopiness). they are all good cams. but all work in a slightly differnt powerband. most track guys choose "f" or higher cams cause they make the most power up top in the rpm range. the "e" cam is most popular cause you dont have to be @6250rpm for it to turn on. light to light with a 3.73, i think you would be most happy wit an "e" cam... and not my favorite, but yes a "b" cam. be honest with yourself on how your gonna drive the car, then check out the powerband on the cams.

also, if your goin wit g40/p type heads. dont run more than an e-cam or .498 lift. those heads have smaller cumbustion chambers than stock e7. gt40p heads..an "e" cam, 24lbs inj., 70ml throttlebody, and explorer/cobra intake or better, and a good mass air meter should get you sumwut close to 300hp at the crank.

keep n mind, gt40 heads have larger valves than gt40p, but gt40p flow more because the velocity increased with the smaller valves (gt40p better..on most v8 explorers). the explorer intake is a revised cobra intake, and flow better than factory cobra. you can make decent inexpensive power using all ford components if you do your research. you can get 24lb injectors from 2k and up taurus..and 30lbs. from tbird supercoupe (not turbo coupe). just sum tips if your on a sever budget during these tuff economic times.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by juced302 View Post
i was thinkin that the f303 wouldn't work with the stock setup?it will be stayin with the stock rockers unless i see obvious damage
Old 12-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

the f cam is good for blower cus of the duration an lsa 114
juced302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

as u can c, we all have differnt opinions. but there's a whole nother group of guys in here that will call us crazy and ol' school for even talkn bout alphabet cams. im not name'n names...lol. but they know who they r. they think the alphabet series is obselete and antiquated. everyone has there favorite..and everyone has an opinion. do your research and choose wisely grasshopper.........
Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

think you sensei,this car is def. stayin n/a for a very long time,and gettin all this info is part of the fun!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

as everyone else stated i'd go with the B cam, its more friendly with the computer and its not too hard on the drivetrain. an E-303 really should have some springs and if your going to go to the trouble i'd get a real cam at that point.

I've had the E btw on two different setups, overrated.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

I like that pic. of the tricycle but love even more the slogun beneath it
it reads "I LEARNED AT AN EARLY AGE FWD SUCKS!!!" That's the best
I've read in a long while! Damned that made me laugh HARD! Dude
where did you get it from? Did you make it up? If you did,You're GOOD!
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Found it floating around on the web. Lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #23

I'm running the f cam with a blower and it sounds like heaven. No special mods required. Bolted right in.
stmpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpede View Post
I'm running the f cam with a blower and it sounds like heaven. No special mods required. Bolted right in.
stock heads?

I thought the F had alot of lift

93 mustang notch
Old 12-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #25

AFR 165cc heads.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AFR 165cc heads.
Does AFR and Trickflow not have different degrees which allows you to run a larger cam? I know TF does. I had their street heat kit with a .499 .510 lift 221/225 duration at .050 and didnt have to flycut the pistons.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #27

The cam and heads bolted on with no other modifications.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Found it floating around on the web. Lol.
Cool! Thanks for the laugh>
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AFR 165cc heads.
Yeah, that combo doesn't surprise me as much as if you had said stock..

the AFR stock stuff isn't bad.. though I did snap a few of the rocker studs on mine before I swapped to ARP.

93 mustang notch
Old 12-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstangboy View Post
stock heads?

I thought the F had alot of lift
i think "f" cam is like only .529-.530 lift... def enough room for stock heads if you wanted.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

i am looking for a set of valve springs for when i change out the cam,does anybody know the specs on which springs for the bcam?i will be putting in new lifters as well.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #32
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL View Post
i am looking for a set of valve springs for when i change out the cam,does anybody know the specs on which springs for the bcam?i will be putting in new lifters as well.
i run .560 comps springs. you should go a bit higher than wut u r planning to run (cam max lift). in case you decide to upgrade cam or rocker arms one day. a lil room to grow is a good thing in regards to springs.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #33

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to SpeedShifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL
The "B" cam has .480 lift on both I/E. Which is pretty close to what the 93 Cobra was running.Go to your local speed shop or call crane or comp cams they can tell you the springs you need to match the cam. That's your best bet.
SpeedShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
If you want good cam advice go to cpg nation and join their forum. Aaron Mick is a tech there and will give you the best off the shelf cam for your application. Tell him exactly what you are doing and he will take care of you. Is this going into a 4.6. If so remember we have piston to valve contact issues so choose wisely or you are going to have to rebuild engine
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would not purchase an a alphabet can personally, their design is from the early nineties. If you want an off the shelf grind, grab something split duration like a trick flow cam. If you ate willing to spend a little, talk to comp or go custom. I would not waste my money on an alphabet cam.
ibleedblue65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT