noisy gear drive - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
noisy gear drive

my car is a 89 gt,and i am wondering if the noisy timing gear drive set up will work in my car?I don't think these have knock sensors?thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: noisy gear drive

I've seen a few around here that had the eldebrock timing gears, so they should work but I myself haven't tried them yet.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the reply,i found a set for 50 bucks local,so i figure they will be worth the tryin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL View Post
thanks for the reply,i found a set for 50 bucks local,so i figure they will be worth the tryin
r u sure u want a noisey set? they sound like someone is killn a cat under your hood..lol. all seriousness though. everyone i know that's installed a noisey set on a street car got annoyed by them in a couple months. i run a quiet set i got from c.a.t. engineering on ebay for 68 bucks shipped... ive been running them for 4 years now. im not sayn dont run a gear drive...i love mine to death, just think if u really want a noisey one on a street car.

last but not least, enjoy grind'n the tab out of your inner timing cover so the dog bone gear has room to float.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
r u sure u want a noisey set? they sound like someone is killn a cat under your hood..lol. all seriousness though. everyone i know that's installed a noisey set on a street car got annoyed by them in a couple months. i run a quiet set i got from c.a.t. engineering on ebay for 68 bucks shipped... ive been running them for 4 years now. im not sayn dont run a gear drive...i love mine to death, just think if u really want a noisey one on a street car.

last but not least, enjoy grind'n the tab out of your inner timing cover so the dog bone gear has room to float.
i was wonderin about the quality of the ebay ones too,and the cat thing is funny as hell, for some stupid reason i love that gear drive whine,not sure why just do,most people think its a bad power steering pump,which is hillarious.So just use a dremel or somethin to grind out the tab?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUDNEVL View Post
i was wonderin about the quality of the ebay ones too,and the cat thing is funny as hell, for some stupid reason i love that gear drive whine,not sure why just do,most people think its a bad power steering pump,which is hillarious.So just use a dremel or somethin to grind out the tab?
i would say air grinder, or electric angle grinder. you will be all day with a dremel. on a chevy, itsa very straight forward install. they dont have those tabs. for wutever the reason ford does. just grind the whole tab out and make it flush with the rest of the cover and you will be fine. again, make sure the tab is ground flush, if the dog bone doesnt have room to float it will vibrate against the cover.

not to mention the whine will make ppl think your rock'n a blower...lol.

well have fun and get sum cheese and crackers to go with your whine
Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

FORD 255/302/351W NOISY TIMING GEAR DRIVE GD-302N - eBay (item 350326652575 end time Jan-04-11 01:39:32 PST)
are these the ones you had?and how much room do you think they need in the cover to float?thanks for all the help
Old 12-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

yup, that's it. look at the pic, the dog bone gear has a "nipple" kinda pointy end. it needs to be ground flat to the same level/height as the other side. the nipple part isa intended as a spacer so that it fits several timing cover/engine types. be sure to follow the install closely. one gear on the dog bone is larger than the other. it has to be set-up on the correct side or it will bind instead of roll.

like i said before. make sure the timing cover tabs are ground completly out/ true flat. itsa a bit time consuming, but you only have to do it once. it's not as hard as it sounds. you can p.m. me and i can give you my number and i can walk you through it when you get ready to install it. if you do it the way i tell you, you wont need a feeler gauge. i wish someone had explained it to me.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

awesome ,thanks again,and when they come in i will p.m. you
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

stupid female question guys.. what exactly does this add to the car? aside from the whine?
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04TRV6 View Post
stupid female question guys.. what exactly does this add to the car? aside from the whine?
lol...mine is quiet, you dont know it's there. it just ads consistant accuracy to the timing because there is no chain to stretch or break. as you know all chains tend to stretch over time. my car is supercharged so i wanted to make sure the timing stays accurate throughout the life of my engine. not to mention, you wont ever have to buy a timing chain again. it doesnt do anything as far as horsepower wise, just ads reliability. its just a preferance. i bought mine for function as opposed noise. they come in "quiet" and "noisey" (annoying in my opinion..lol) sets. you know they also have belt drive set-ups too
Old 12-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
lol...mine is quiet, you dont know it's there. it just ads consistant accuracy to the timing because there is no chain to stretch or break. as you know all chains tend to stretch over time. my car is supercharged so i wanted to make sure the timing stays accurate throughout the life of my engine. not to mention, you wont ever have to buy a timing chain again. it doesnt do anything as far as horsepower wise, just ads reliability. its just a preferance. i bought mine for function as opposed noise. they come in "quiet" and "noisey" (annoying in my opinion..lol) sets. you know they also have belt drive set-ups too
sweet. thx for the info. trying to learn all i can to improve my fox.
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« Slp | Battery draw »